Laid Bare!

Dirt Cheap DIY Housing

Psioncy

Dirt Cheap DIY Housing

Post  Psioncy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:24 am

I remember we had a thread a while back about building your own house.

Recently I'm considering going back to the States, maybe rural Maine.  I'm determined to keep the yolks of rent and mortgage debt off me.

Land is cheap enough, beautiful land at that.  Farming, fishing, whatever you want.  And free wood too, which is a big help for heating.

So I've been running a few ideas around in my head.  I want something that initially gets me sheltered and living decent on the cheap and fast.  

I'm not adverse to camping.  Hell, I spent half my life camping.  But that's only May to October.  Wintering in a tent sucks.

A couple ideas that I've been kicking around:  One is getting a cheap used camper, something functional with plumbing and electric.  Either that or getting one of those shed kits and winterizing it.  You can get a gigantic shed for $3000-4000 USD.  And if you hang insuluation and put up wall board, it's winterized.  Go with propane hot water, wood heat.

Anyway, my research led me to a building style I'd never heard of before.  We're talking dirt cheap housing here, and literal dirt at that.  It's called Earthbag, and I'm reading about these guys building houses for under $1000.  These things are self insulated and flood and earthquake proof to boot.

Best of all, as we discussed before, framing and building require a lot of skill and experience.  But with earthbag building even novices are generally successful on their first attempt.  I mean you still gotta plan it out and do everything right, and it's a fuck of a lot of work to build one of these bitches.

Basically the idea is you get polypropolene bags, like 50 or 100 pound bags that animal feed comes in.  You fill 'em with earth from your site and stack them like bricks with barbed wire between each row.  The idea is that these will "cure" and meld together over time, giving you a rock solid heavy duty motherfucker of a house!

For the foundation you can just dig down to the mineral level and fill your first couple rows with gravel.  I already read about some spray on compounds you can buy that will make soil harden like asphalt.  Saving you a lot of money since you don't need to get a slab poured.

These buildings can be build as domes, or wall structure with a wood framed roof added.  If you're gonna go the dome route you can't build too large, but you can join circles together and make a house with seperate rooms, replete with spires.  For straight walls  you can go as huge as you want.  Check it out on youku.com.  Just search "earthbag" and you'll see a timelapse video of two guys building a medium sized earthbag house in Alaska.  

Bear in mind that's not what your final house will look like (stacks of bags) cuz the final step is to plaster up and seal everything.  Google up earthbag homes to see the crazy cool shit people are doing with this method.  Hell, if you went with a metal roof or a simple dome, you could build a fucking small house for under $700, including the timber framing for the doors and windows and the roofing.  After that, sure you'd need outfit it with systems.  But the thing is you could go pretty cheap there too.  My idea would be to hire a backhoe to dig out the foundation and then an angled trench leading to a pit.  Fill the pit with gravel and cover with topsoil.  Then I'd have all the earth I need to fill the bags and have a solid natural septic system with a leech field.  Of course that won't pass building codes near most towns, but then again neither would this house.  Meaning you gotta build this sucker somewhere rural without codes.  I looking at pretty big tracts of land for under $10,000, all wooded.  And these are within a half hours driving distance to towns with shopping and supermarkets, so good enough.  You might even be able to pull this off closer to town.  I can think of some areas.  As long as your out of the town borders you may be alll right.  

Anyway, blah blah blah.  I'm seriously considering doing this.  Might work on Fire Island too, now that I think about it.  I dont' think they're too strict with codes there.  And this kind of building is way better than those shanties a lot folks of live in.  An earthbag house will easily stand up to earthquake, flooding, whatever.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Re: Dirt Cheap DIY Housing

Post  Psioncy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:12 am

There's a lot of directions to go in.  I still like the camper van idea, even though the earthbag home is more permanent.  Mobility (in America) is a big plus to finding seasonal work.  Plus I love staying at campgrounds.  

Campgrounds have fees, but a lot of them will negotiate down if you're willing to pay by the month.  I spent the warmer months at one for 3 years at $250 month.  That was a special situation though cuz the town I was in had ample winter rentals on the cheap, cuz the tourists pay through the nose in the summer and flock out in the winter.  Really, my winter accomodation was unbelievable.  I had a library in my house with books from the 19th century, and a JACUZZI tub.  

Even so, I looked forward to spring and getting back to the campground in my canvas tent.  Campgrounds give you everything now:  electric, water, wastewater, cable TV, internet...

And of course HOT SHOWERS, SWIMMING POOL, and LAUNDRY.

Did you need something more????  Of course not. (Except maybe sex)  And you're grilling outside everything, surrounded by the lantern-lit forest.  Sleeping in comfort and dryness.  Staring at the coals...

Last edited by Psioncy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:21 am

Let me clarify.  Campgrounds are great if you got kids, and want to know your neighbors (you won't meet better people)

If the campground fees turn you off, yeah there's always off-the-grid camping.  And good ol' sciency knows a-plenty about that too!!!!

The main question though is this:  DO YOU HAVE A JOB?

If you've got a job, just stay at the campground.  In fact I'd prefer to have to job, cuz that means money.  And money buys what you need.

Jobless camping....  like I said, i've done it.  Things get a lot more complicated.  My advice is go with JOB.  Hell my last three years before coming to china I was a manager at this company.  Besides my hair smelling like woodsmoke they barely knew the difference.  Every morn I was showering in hot water, putting on clean dry clothes, and driving my Volvo off to work.  

We're talking TIE and Jacket. In fact they knew i was camping, they didn't care. I did my fucking job, logistics manager. And I was good. Just like I'm good at what I do now, teaching retard chinks english.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:23 pm

haha, volvo.

campgrounds? what the fuck for? what would you be doing for work?

campgrounds are for retired people or total fucking hippies who don't want to work, no?

job is #1 priority.

just keep renting an apartment close to where you work.

there's nothing wrong with it. all you have to do is flush your ego.

christ, some people in china live in caves man.

and hopefully your job versus rent allows you to put some money aside.

eventually you can buy something. but yeah, i've considered alternative types of housing. but it's not a big priority now.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:53 pm

I've spent plenty of time at campgrounds, and working.  But still, there you've got campground fees and wintering sucks.  

Nah, I've got a plan to not only be self-sustaining, but also be employed (eventually self-employed) and within reasonable driving distance of a population center.  Paying rent and saving for a house downpayment is double bullshit.  I'm doing neither.

Oh I forgot fucking taxes, but I'm gonna miminize those.  A cabin in the boonies is like $100 property tax to free.

I'm talking going step by step to going off the grid entirely.  (except for cellular internet, obviously).

Step one is a pickup truck and land.  I'm looking into a lot of land in rural Maine that's really on the cheap.  In fact I was researching where to buy land on the internet and rural Maine came up as the number one spot, because of price, availability, taxes, and of course an endless wood supply.  I suppose in Canada you'd have even more options.  

Wooded acreage isn't an issue, it's for sale all over the place.  Real trick is cleared land, with a drive and initial access to the electric grid (more on that later).  Also good would be a well, or a building.

Cuz the cost/effort of clearing land and road is the number one thing I'd like to avoid.  That said, there are such parcels available, partly cleared, old pasteurs, old or unfinished house sites.

All I'm gonna need is part time work.  The whole point of this is to reach a level where I am not reliant on a lot of money to survive, but I'm being practical as well.  I'm already experienced and I know how it goes. Going entirely off the grid and 100% self-sustaining Grizzily Adams style is not what it's cracked up to be in people's imaginations.  I WANT money and access to shopping, I'm just minimizing my reliance on it.  There are certain things that need to be purchased.  For example, you can't just make a fkn greenhouse or a rifle out of twigs and birchbark.  

Anyway, once the land is in place I'm gonna save money on a pricey concrete slab and go with an earthbag foundation (like pictured above).  Not the earth bag house, just a simple foundation for a cabin.  Also to fill the bags and gonna get a backhoe in there to dig out a primitive septic ditch running downhill and leech area.  Good enough for the boonies.   With the foundation in place comes a cabin shell.  I'm thinking about just buying a prefab one. Cuz they work and they install in a day.  

Next I'll hang insulation and wallboard up cheap, maybe cheap plywood with taped seams and plastered over.  

I'll have to build in a rocket stove.  If you haven't seen a rocket mass heater, google it.  These things are fucking incredible.  If built correctly to specs, they burn wood 90% more efficiently than a wood stove, and stay heated for DAYS after a burn.  Also there's no smoke, cuz it burns so pure.  I think what I like best is that  you don't need to harvest cordword, just cut brush.  Wood is a bitch cuz you have to chainsaw down the trees, cut the logs into sections and haul them.  Not to mention leaving them to season for a year -oh and split it.  These rocket heaters run on sticks, of which the forest offers an endless easy supply.  You can even harvest that crap on other people's land out there, they won't care.

Finally I'm going propane heat and hot water (to start).  

Viola!  I got myself a cozy winterized house built for under $5000.  (not counting the land and the truck of course).

And that's just the beginning.  From there I'm looking at stuff like aquaponics.  Set up a greenhouse and use those earthbags to create a raised pond for fish farming and have all the waste run off to vegetable crops, which thrive in the nutrient rich fish waste.  Toss in another rocket heater and I could even run it into the winter.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna need a second shed as a shop.  I'll slowly aquire tools as I go.  Also thinking about outdoor growing beds.

Somewhere in here I'm gonna find a way to get out of my part time job and fully devote myself to this.  Maybe by selling off my fish (direct cash transactions, no business licensing or taxes) or building woodcrafts in my shop, to sell at flea market/ebay or whatever.   I think I'll forgo the livestock, too much headache and work.  Besides deer are abundant, and nobody's gonna realize the diff if I bag an extra one or off season.  

Eventually I might to figure out hydro to go off the grid entirely.  I've been reading about folk who have done it, but it's really complex and expensive (initially).  Besides if I got propane the only thing I absolutely need electricity for will my computer, water pump, lighting and tools.  LED lighting is also possible off battery, and the PC probably could run uniterrupted on a couple solar batteries and water pump.  I don't know I just don't want to deal with solar actually.  The panels are expensive, batteries need replacement... anyway it doesn't matter.  Like I said, i'm starting off on the grid, and if I stay there fine.  My bills won't be that high.

Everything in place, what bills am I paying?  Fuel, maintenence, and insurance on the pickup truck.  Propane, but just for hotwater and maybe cooking.  So that's negligible  Property tax, also squat.  Cellular internet, I don't know what that runs, but whatever it is, I'll be paying it. Landline might be possible too where i"m looking.

For cigs I'm just gonna buy (untaxed) tobacco in bulk and roll my own.  Same for other stuff, like soap.  I'll just buy horse shampoo, lye, baking soda in bulk from the farm stores for all my soapy needs.  I might also order up bulk grains and other rations I can't produce myself.  

Hopefully in the end I'll be doing nother more than tending my property and pursuing hobbies.  I'll leave it open to new directions.  I may want to pursue more fishfarming or another trade. Maybe build a fishhouse and start smoking the fish, packing them and driving around selling them.  Whatever money it makes it makes.  As long as dickbag uncle sam and his corporate sleazebuddies aren't getting anything, I'm happy.  

Then I guess I'll just get old an die or whatever.  I haven't really thought things out much beyond that point, TBH.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 pm

sounds interesting.

maybe i should start looking into something like that myself.

it's certainly a possibility. i think i'm beyond the point of paying monthly mortgage fees to buy an overpriced shack in an urban jungle just to be slaving away at a job i can't stand. that ship has sailed.

anyway, if you do it, keep us posted 'ol chap.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm

there's a guy in the states who builds REAL houses for people who can't afford the real prices of homes, using recycled materials and stuff from junk yards.

the houses are incredibly cheap. can't remember exactly how much.

you need to build it yourself. and i think he actually helps the people build it or teaches you.

check youtube. the houses are actually really fucking nice.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Don't sweat it, you can get a large cabin shell installed on site for under 3,000.  More with siding windows and porch.  Figure $5000 for 150-200 square foot wood cabin.  But here's the other thing.... unlimited free wood!  You can mill that stuff yourself for a small investment.  But 2x4 and even pressure treated beams are cheap up where I'm talking about.  Take a look at this:

http://www.themainerealestatenetwork.com/listing/1123027/169-page-road-glenburn-me-04401/

This is a such a fkn bargain, if I were in ANY position to buy anything right now, I'd be all over it Razz

Sure the cabin looks like shit and would need an overhaul, but that's not the point.  The point is that it's a 10 minute drive from Bangor, Maine.  Bangor is the largest population center in northern Maine.  That means you can cruise down to a shopping center, or a warehouse store, or even Stephen King's house in the amount of time it takes most people in Beijing to catch a bus.  Also it means you can find jobs.  Bangor isn't the most hustling economy, and never has been, but even shitty jobs are fine, cuz you're not gonna be needing much money to live.  Just do retard work part-time 20-30 hours a week.  It's fine.

The other point is that this property isn't just that cabin (which is electrified!), no, the point is that it sits on a 25 ACRE WOODED PARCEL!  Total price:  $21,500.  Holy fuck!  You could just do selective cutting and sell firewood for a living for YEARS.  And all that cutting would do is IMPROVE your property.  

I'm familiar with this area cuz I lived year in nearby Old Town and have attended UMO, which is quite near this location.  So I can tell you that land already has at least an old road or two and some ATV trails.  And you better believe there's game galore.

There aren't too many places left in the US were this could be pulled off.  The major drawback that keeps people from inland Maine of course is the harsh winter.  But really, winter is nothing if you have the right vehicle and got your dwelling shored up.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 pm

yeah but see, that's where you and i differ (along with musical tastes).

why would you put home ownership above work that you do?

why would you go through all this trouble to build a place and save money just so you can do "retard work"?

job is more important.

i'd rather go to where the interesting jobs are and live in a shitty apartment. and in many cases, the apartments are not shitty anyway and if you live in an apartment, you can live smack in the city center, making it convenient for everything.

why go through all this trouble and then have to go through the trouble of finding decent work or getting stuck with shitty work?

fuck it. i'll only settle down and/or buy property if i've made a shitload of money or if it's next to my job and i have a job i like.

otherwise, property is useless.

i've seen it time and again back home.

people bend over backwards to get settled into a mortgage. and most of them don't like their jobs. then, you're trapped.

no property = freedom to relocate to a good job, freedom to change your circumstances for the better

get a job that pays well and that you like. don't obsess over owning your own place.

a good job and travel have higher priority in my opinion than any property anyway.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:49 pm

Well that's my original point isn't it, living mortgage free?  Whose to say you won't find a great job, but either way, you're set.

Relocating is expensive and full of risk.  And in case you haven't heard, the employment situation in north america has been in the toilet since 2008 (and still swirling).  Minimum wage is 10 dollars an hour now, with age and experience you can get more.  You want 100,000 a year?  Good fkn luck. I just spent over a decade living in pingfangs and teaching english in Beijing for peanuts.  I don't think that resume is gonna qualify me as a corporate executive at any major companies.  But maybe your rural asia roostering skills will get you in door.  tongue 

Besides I've NEVER had a job I liked.  Even a long-term management position with good salary would be bum me out in the not-so-long run.  Lots of stress and bullshit.  Working yourself debt free up to self-employment and self-sustainability still sounds like the best solution to me.  That doesn't mean you can't travel either, depending on how the money stacks up.  But at least if it doesn't you're warm, comfy, and well fed -not sucking hind teet on skid row.

I'm not saying I'm not going to try to make money, I am.  What I'm doing is minimizing my reliance on it.  

Your plan is the one that leaves you trapped in a job in order to cover expenses.  Mine is the path to freedom.

Also, googlemap up that location I posted.  It's so close to the city it's already turning into a suburb.  Some  years down the road, if you want to cash out, you'll probably be able to subdivide that parcel into a couple dozen 1 acre lots and sell 'em off for 30k+ apiece.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:53 am

I think something be fishy with that property.  I did some research, cuz I couldn't find based on the online  marker on googlemap.

Turned out the marker was miles south in the wrong direction.  I managed to find the tax maps for that town online, then I had to match up a partial blurred property map pic with the right sector online and download the pdf for it.  It took forever to find it cuz the actual property is a few miles north and on the opposite side of the road from the listing.  Neither did it help the the map pic they listed had been turned sideways.  Anyway, it was pretty clear that the cabin was nowhwere as secluded as first appeared, as there some other large buildings on the property next to it.  Maybe condemed buildings or some bullshit like some backwoods neghbor has property on your land.  Also the property north had been cleercut, and the cutting extended well into property being sold.  Plus I could see a lot of junk cars and stuff around the site.  I'm definitely not in the mood for dealing with backwoods neighbors.  It all becomes about shooting each other dogs and stuff.

Maybe something nearer the coast.  Or further inland, where 25 acres is is child's play.  Hey Poo, how do Canadian listings work?  US MLS real estate listings are standard and multiple versions of the same listings turn up on any google search.  But I've been dicking around with New Brunwick real estate listings for the past 30 minutes, and all the websites are bullshit.  Don't you have a national database of listings like the US, or do you people just not have internet yet?  I've been around New Brunswick and Novia Scotia a bit, and there are definitely some beautiful regions of both.  Like this one:

http://www.mondinion.com/Real_Estate_Listings/adid/855601/Canada--New_Brunswick--Grand_Manan--House_for_Sale/

I've been to this island, it's stunning. But since you can't make a living sticking your thumb up your ass and enjoying scenery, it'd just be countdown to disaster. There's fishing, but that's a world that will suck up your life, every aspect. And it's hard fucking work too. I don't want to work hard, that's the whole point here.

Yeah, I don't think I want to live in Canada.  I hear they tax you for farting up there anyway. And my US citizenship could make it harder to find a job and deal with your dingbat commie government.  geek 

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Yeah, I mean if you want to "catch up" to everyone else back home, you're going to have to make upwards of 100K if you go back home.

But you don't really NEED to make 100K.

It's not like your options are making 100K or living off the grid, dude.

No matter what you do, there are always going to be drawbacks.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm not limiting my options to such.  I can go right and make shitload of money if opportunity presents itself.  

That property is not "off the grid" either, it's on it.

It's still a hell of a deal for 25 acres that close to Bangor.  The only problem is neighbors.  All that probing I did yesterday paid off.  Those were mobile homes on the sattelite *very* close to the cabin.  Two of them.  One of the neighbors directly next to it has a big kennel and raises dogs.  I knew there had to be a catch at the price.

Like I said, it'd still be a good investment.  I'd just have to compromise on my desire for seclusion.  I'm in no hurry anyway, just keep tracking the MLS listings till something comes up.  Plus she acts like the cabin is the big selling point, it isn't.  Like I said, you can DIY a cabin for under $5000, including winterization and systems.  This is all about getting set up initially, some stuff can wait. The factors that get you are...

1.  Installing off the grid power.  I'm thinking about a camp generator system to charge to two marines batteries.  I used to camp with a solar system like this, but I was only running a single light and a radio.  In this case I'd need more than that, but not by much. Just a system sufficient to run a PC, LED lighting, and a water pump. Fridge, hot water, and cooking can run off propane.   So all in all I'd be spending around 2k for a small system like a propane generator, inverter and a couple marine batteries.

2.  Water.  It's 3k+ to have a well dug usually.  So you know, if I can find land with an old on well on it, it's worth paying a bit more.  Hauling in water is not out of the question initially though, cuz my needs aren't that great. You can clean yourself on a couple gallons per day, and for laundry you can get by with a lot less than people usually think.  (See the fuck washing machines thread).  In time save up to get the well dug, leaving me more $$$ to handle other things initially.

3.  Clearing road and land.  Anything that is already cleared partly cleared or has a road cleared is a major plus.  Barring that I'd have to initially just clear a parking space by the main road and hump up to the build site. I don't want to deal with too much clearing initially.  Long private roads are bad anyway, cuz the township won't plow them for you.    With a chainsaw cutting the trees isn't such a big task, but rather it's dealing with the stumps that get you.

So I told the agent, you know, no structure is fine.  Just something near a main road where I could get on the grid, saving me money from installing the generator/inverter/battery system described above.  I'm not averse to clearing enough room for parking roadside and hiking in a bit.  As long as long as I can still run power in from the pole.

The main idea here is to get set up with sustainable, relatively comfortable living as quickly as possible.  Further clearing, garden, well, septic... can all get done later, piecemeal.

Last edited by Psioncy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Now I'm thinking about financing.  I won't be going home broke, but no exactly loaded either, not enough to cover vehicle, land, cabin, and other assorted expenses.  If I can get financing on the land and the pickup truck, I can devote my savings to building the cabin and all the aforementioned stuff.  I can also sustain my living for a couple months while I get all that done and find work.  I realize financing goes against everything I'm going for here, but really it'll be minimal, like a $200 a month.  Which is still a lot better than rent or gigantic mortage.  Plus I could probably pay off those deductibles quickly enough.  In another year I'd have a cozy home owned outright.  Then I could use my earnings to develop the greenhouse/fishfarm/whatever....  All this is only step one.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:15 pm

People really don't know how badly they're being gouged at the supermarket.  And being marketed all kinds of processed unhealthy crap  to boot.  That's why the winterized aquaponics greenhouse is so appealing to me.  I mean I think my first year I'll just garden vegetables outdoors on raised beds, and dry or jar the excess as it's harvested.  That'll still save me quite a lot.  I'll jsut be paying for protein.  

With aquaponics you've got both.  Grains, I've decided, really aren't necessary.  Nowadays my most common meal is hotpot, almost every day.  I've mostly weened myself off grains, sugar, and dairy already.  I was popping into Subway a couple times week, until I read about how they were using that "yoga-mat' chemical in their bread.  It's not just subway either, I read that just about all the fast food chains were doing it.  Fuck them, forever.

Besides you can mail order organic bulk grains and beans cheap off the internet, sealed up in big five gallone buckets that keep them fresh for years.  All you need is a storage area.  I'm thinking about a food prep room added on to the cabin, for storing food stuffs and drying and canning garden veggies.

Aquaponics is more appealing to me too than raising livestock.  The fkn fish keep to themselves in their pools nice and quiet like.  And slaughtering fish doesn't phase me, whereas rabbits and chickens and stuff kinda would. Im also thinking about a smokehouse, so you know I could smoke the fish, or make jerky if I bag a deer.  I'm not gonna have a freezer, so killing a deer would be a waste otherwise.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:47 pm

sorry, didn't read everything. a bit busy. i'll come back to it.

you can always raise your own chickens.

you can practically live off chicken meat + eggs alone.

when are you thinking of leaving?

man, you're making me feel like shit coz i haven't put any thought into an exit strategy whatsoever.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeah that's ok, you don't have to read all that.  I'm kinda thinking out loud here.

I'm not planning on leaving for another year anyway.  Having a PLAN I find really helps though.

Cuz otherwise I'm just languishing here.  Don't worry, if I end up with a big parcel, maybe I'll let you rent-to-own a lot there.  Provided you don't piss me off too much in the meanwhile...   lol!  

You can keep the chickens over there. I don't want to deal with them.  They're disgusting, noisy, and require a lot of feed.

Fish are nice and quiet, easy to slaughter, and can be fed by worms farmed in compost.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:26 pm

yeah, good thinking.

plan for ME too.

i might soooooooooo fucking need a place to crash when i'm even further up shit creek.

i'm like a headless chicken.

by the time i figure out what i want to do when i grow up, i'll be dead.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Well you might be in luck.  I'm still kinda interested by this property.  I've been talking to the agent.

The cabin obviously isn't the prettiest neighborhood with the two mobile homes and junk cars and all the hillbilly bullshit.  But that's just at the east corner.  And also what's keeping the price down.  

Actually having a neighbor with dogs ain't such a bad thing.  They keep the wildlife scared off.  And the other guy has a snowplow.  So it'd be a lot easier to work something out with him than to have to buy a fkn plow myself.

Moreover, as I suspected there is an old road going up into forested part of the property, where more cabin sites could be cleared in the future.

I don't want to turn too "hick".  Cuz then life is just about your truck and dog and trailers and ATV's and gun racks and wearing a trucker cap, AM country music and an accent that slurrs your language beyond most human recognition.  But as it goes in Maine, full on "hippie" doesn't fly either, practically or socially.  You have to be hick enough to take care of business when you're homesteading -and to deal with hicks.  Of course that's all leading up to something higher, which is a nice secluding sustainable homestead to enjoy nature in with comfort hippie-esque style.  The whole hick/hippie thing is a balancing act really.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:17 am

Some FLUFFY CARE BEARS are gonna eat lead in their ass.

Last edited by Psioncy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:00 am

Psioncy wrote:
    Or YO MOMMA's gonna choke your chicken.

haha, that's funny, dude!

Last edited by The Great Splendini on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:30 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:
    Psioncy wrote:
    Or some FLUFFY CARE BEARS are gonna eat lead in their ass.

delete this comment.

No.

Last edited by Psioncy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Granted I was loaded when I posted that. I would never shoot anyone, except in self-defense.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:42 pm

that could get you in trouble, dude.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Yeah OK, maybe you're right.

The asshole federal government doesn't have anything better to do than get worked up over drunken quips on the internet.

While the country goes to shit.  Rolling Eyes 

Not that it matters if I change it, they already have it on record at the NSA, and google.

Please change it in your post too, where you quoted me.

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm