Laid Bare!

I'm gonna get fired soon (again)

The Great Splendini

Re: I'm gonna get fired soon (again)

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 06, 2014 1:48 pm

I used to be fearless when I was younger.

I quit jobs left, right and center.

I literally told my boss to take the job and shove it a few times.

Once, a guy saw that I was brave enough to just walk away and literally asked me to take him with me.

Only problem is I didn't know where the fuck I was headed.

Now, I'm more of a coward.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue May 06, 2014 7:55 pm

No these pricks didn't give me a choice.

I worked there six years without a vacation. They even tried to fuck me out of legal public holidays.

I'm breaking down, man. It's not that I want time off, I need it. Just fucking NEED it.

And this was the only way to get it.

I've been sitting on my ass for week, and it's GREAT.

I've got enough money squirreled away to get by 3 months or even longer if I have to. And there're a gazillion teaching jobs now.

I'm kinda holding out in favor of the inspection work, but that could fall through.

And I would have to leave beijing and live in some industrial nongtown. So that part's not very appealing.

Depressing actually, just the thought of it. I am beijingren for sure. I've been here twelve years, and had as many apartments and almost as many jobs all over this city. And I keep moving closer and closer into the center. Next stop will be The Forbidden City.

I'm also thinking about setting up a legal company for educational consulting. I have the means to do it and sponsor my own work visa. Just don't want to invest anything right now, cuz I need it to live on. Maybe I can find an investor/partner.

You know how they say you must have a chinese partner to start a company here? It's total bullshit. Foriegners can start companies in China. The tough part is navigating the bureaucracy. It's nuts, you have to get stamps carved and go through PSB, Foriegn Affairs, Alien Department, local police, etc. It's complicated as all living fuck, but you can pay agents to take care of all that. For much cheaper than you might be imagining too. And what you end up with is a completely legal company that can sponsor 4 foreigners on working visas.

I don't know why everyone says you need a chinese partner, you don't. I mean a chinese partner is useful for taking care of certain things and guanxi and all that, but legally speaking YOU DO NOT ACTUALLY NEED ONE.

I think foreigners have jsut always taken the insane amount of chinese bureaucraptastic bullshit that comes with starting a company here to mean that it is impossible to do it without a Chinese partner.

I wish I had done this years ago. And I tell you what, if go back to the US the first thing I'm gonna do is start a company there too, and write off every meal I eat, mile I drive, etc off as business expenses.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Man, I love the idea of starting my own school all legit and legal like.  I could do everything right, finally.

As far as recruiting students go, there are agents that can find them for you.  Just pay them their cut, and they'll be all over potential students faster than you can say "flies on shit."

And you could start out cheap.  There are cheap places in the hutongs you could use, like 2-3k a month to start.  Even cheaper without a toilet Razz

Get a one year lease.  It might look like shit, but fuck it, I know how to paint.

Then once things get cracking, hire on more foreign teachers.  You can have up to four, legally.  And as many chinese employees as you want.

I dont' know why everyone doesn't do this.  We'd put every major chinese-owned english school out of business in under a year if everyone did this.

Fuck these people who call for "teachers unions", that's a complete waste of time and energy.  You're never gonna straighten up the way chinese managers exploit foreigners here.  Or how they exploit students for that matter.

There's no need to lie!  The market is strong, and focusing on putting out a superior educational product will get you good word of mouth and more students.

The chinese way of marketing (lying to everyone) is catching up.  The consumer is more savvy then they used to be, and the schools that focus on marketing hype over the quality of their product are losing students left and right in this market.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 06, 2014 10:35 pm

Psioncy wrote:

I don't know why everyone says you need a chinese partner, you don't.  I mean a chinese partner is useful for taking care of certain things and guanxi and all that, but legally speaking YOU DO NOT ACTUALLY NEED ONE.

I think foreigners have jsut always taken the insane amount of chinese bureaucraptastic bullshit that comes with starting a company here to mean that it is impossible to do it without a Chinese partner.

I wish I had done this years ago.  And I tell you what, if go back to the US the first thing I'm gonna do is start a company there too, and write off every meal I eat, mile I drive, etc off as business expenses.

yeah, i found out just last year. because 2 american guys started something. and then another american guy is married to a chinese woman who had a lot of experience shmoozing with govt guys. so she helped the 2 guys set up their business legally because she has connections with all these govt guys. there are no fixed laws in china but if you don't know the right people, and you're an expat who wants to start something, you might get refused.

there is WFOE (wholly foreign owned enterprise), but someone said that you get monitored more closely or something like that. or maybe you pay more fees or taxes. so there may be other issues involved. not sure.

but it's possible. we've been lied to all these years.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue May 06, 2014 10:50 pm

Nah, they don't monitor them that closely.  What you have to do is register ur company with the local police and they're supposed to monitor you, but they don't care.  Why should they?

And even if they do swing by, so what?  You're legal.  Just ask them if they like Obama, make a joke about how he's BLACK (That can be the entire joke BTW) have a nice laugh with the dude until he leaves, then go back to work.

The PSB just calls you once a year or something like that.

I know a business lawyer who consults on this stuff, and he told me that if you do it right, you won't get rejected for the business license.

And it's got nothing to do with guanxi.  It's about following all the steps correctly and on time.

Why would they reject you?  You're paying government fees and taxes, renting offices and bolstering the economy.

The only way to fuck it up is to make them think you're into some kind of espionage.  They're paranoid as fuck about that.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 2:24 pm

yeah, it's doable. it's doable.

sorry, but you claim you haven't taken a vacation in 3 years and you only have enough saved up for 3 months?

saving is not your strong point, is it?
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 pm

I live in Beijing, this shit ain't cheap, yo!

And I've got some rather massive outside expenses. Always some gigantic hit cropping up.

Most days I try to spend as little as possible, but you know a decent restaurant meal is gonna run at least 60 kuai.

Even the chinese crap food is skyrocketing. I order some roubing, and they're like "20 kuai" and I'm like WTF!!!  affraid 

I often go to 7-11 for sushi around 4 AM when they restock, and I'm lucky to get out of there spending less than 50 yuan.

Even drinking, I do pretty cheap, under 100 yuan. That's 10 bottles of hongjiu. Mess you up, boy.

Maybe once a month or less I go to bars, always a big mistake. Will drop 300-500 easily.

What I need to do is go on a diet. I'm overweight as it is, and food is my biggest expense. I spend more on food than I do on rent.

But what am I supposed to do? Like yesterday I was craving italian, so I thought ok, "just buy the pasta and the sauce", but then I thought "come on, you need cheese".... and "you gotta have a salad"... and like that. Next thing you know I'm dropping 200+ kuai on a single day's worth of food. It happens.

And so many little expenses that add up.

I know you ain't in beijing. A can of fkn tuna costs like 20 kuai now, up from 5 kuai 5 years ago. Even I buy ONE EGG from the morning market, it's 1 yuan. A nice tomato, 2-3 yuan. Yeah I know I could buy the wilted old-run veggies cheaper, but that depresses me. Plus up til now I'd been working, which sorta precludes one from doing shit like going out to bargain shop for vegetables.

Now I can do it. I've got my house neat as a pin, and all day to fuck around cooking. I might make some pan bread today. That fucking bing from the vendor never tastes right. Yet I can I can mix flour, water, and yeast.... pan cook it, and it comes out great. Why can't chinese figure this out?

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Yep, food costs are high.

100 kuai for 1 meal at home? I find that hard to believe. The most expensive thing I eat at home is a steak. It's a lot less than 100. Maybe 40 or 50. So I'm really not sure how you spend so much cooking at home.

For stuff like pasta, it's probably cheaper to eat out. Not sure how the restaurants do it, but good luck making pasta at home for 25 kuai. Or actually, the way to keep the cost down is make your own sauce. It only takes 20 minutes, but the cleanup is a bitch. Then, for cheese, some parmesan. but you don't need that much. So yeah, you can keep the cost of home-made pasta under 10 kuai.

Chicken is the cheapest meat (aside from maybe pork, which i don't eat much).

So I try to eat chicken a lot. It's cheap and I love it anyway.

Veggies are cheap.

Fruit is expensive.

Life's a bitch.

But basically, good restaurants will rip a hole in your pocket real fast.

And also, it's not good to think about how much you're spending all the time. I just try to eat well.

Yep and drinking is a killer. I've seen people drop 2000 in bars in one night.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 07, 2014 7:12 pm

Well, ur not in Beijing. Or maybe you are. Or maybe you're in Canuckuhduhhrr. Who fkn knows.  Rolling Eyes 

But here in the 'Jing, shit is real expensive now and always getting higher, day to day, even the veggies.

I think nothing now of plopping down 20-30 kuai at the morning market on just veggies.

Yesterday I bought one of those bing sandwich things, you know the one that's like a little muffin with a couple tablespoons of chopped up pork and cilantro inside it. 10 fucking kuai for that little bitch!

I'm paying 3 kuai a pop for chaunr that used to only run 1 per. And there's always a big chunk of fat on it.

Yeah, I'm gonna diet just to save money.

Making coffee at home helps, I can make a cup for 1-2 kuai. It's like 25-35 at any cafe, sometimes higher.

Bike everywhere, no taxis. Cut out the restaurants and bars.

Basically just never go outside, and you can save money. Just walking out the door always ends up costing me a fortune.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 7:28 pm

you can eat out once or twice a week in a good restaurant.

eating in little places is cheap.

for veggies, if you buy stuff in season and local, i doubt they're expensive. i've cut down on eating veggies anyway. i'm getting sick of veggies. sometimes i only eat them once a day or not at all for the entire day. but they're the cheapest part of the meal.

a chicken breast at carrefour is 10 kuai, no? just chop it up, grill it or fry it and add to a bed of lettuce. add oil. add half a potato, mashed or french fries on the side. that's a fucking meal right there for 12 kuai that's filling and dang good. that's what i had for lunch today.

and yeah, starbucks are the biggest crooks around.

and i fucking wish i was back home. if only my life wasn't so fucking cursed.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 pm

if you really want to save, eat like the locals.

lot of them make 2000 a month and survive.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:if you really want to save, eat like the locals.

lot of them make 2000 a month and survive.

Uh, not in Beijing buddy.  You can't even afford to whack your pud here on that amount.

Ayis and fuwuyuan are earning 5k+ now. Minimum.

I was talking to a girl who used to only make 3k years ago, and she can't be enticed into a job offering 10k now.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Eat like the locals  Rolling Eyes 

I already do eat like the locals. It's still fkn expensive.

Restaurants actually makes sense here, cuz by the time you buy all the ingredients to make a balanced meal at home, it adds up to nearly as much.

Plus restaurants save you the immense hassle of shopping and cleanup.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 7:47 pm

no, restaurants don't make sense because the nutrition content is bad.

noodles = garbage nutritionally. there's too little protein for a big ass motherfucker like me.

so a noodle dish is a least 10-12 kuai. most of the dish is white flour. with small amounts or protein and then veggies.

same cost as a chicken breast on a bed of lettuce with olive oil which is much healthier. you're getting healthy fat and much more protein.

eat at home if you can. it's a bitch getting to a supermarket and cleaning up though.

live close to a carrefour if you can. those places are the best restaurants in town.

and never ever ever EVER let me hear you complain about eggs. they are worth their weight in gold. eggs are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.

why people eat noodles for breakfast is a mystery to me, beyond the fact that they're brainwashed zombies. eggs are 1000 times better.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Psioncy wrote:Eat like the locals  Rolling Eyes 

I already do eat like the locals.  It's still fkn expensive.

no, locals cook like local restaurants at home.

so that means if the restaurant is charging 10 kuai, the locals are cooking it at home for a lot less.

i'm sure a lot of locals spend way less than 1000 a month on food.

ask around. not the white collar folks.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 pm

I don't consider it the healthiest eating, but if your finances are tight, it's ok to do it for a while.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 7:55 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-reasons-to-eat-eggs-2014-5#!J6X5l

1. Eggs Are Incredibly Nutritious

Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet.

A whole egg contains all the nutrients required to turn a single cell into a baby chicken.

A single large boiled egg contains (1):

Vitamin A: 6% of the RDA.
       Folate: 5% of the RDA.
       Vitamin B5: 7% of the RDA.
       Vitamin B12: 9% of the RDA.
       Vitamin B2: 15% of the RDA.
       Phosphorus: 9% of the RDA.
       Selenium: 22% of the RDA.
       Eggs also contain decent amounts of Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium and Zinc.

This is coming with 77 calories, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of healthy fats. Eggs also contain various other trace nutrients that are important for health.

Really… eggs are pretty much the perfect food, they contain a little bit of almost every nutrient we need. If you can get your hands on pastured or Omega-3 enriched eggs, then these are even better. They have more Omega-3s and are much higher in Vitamin A and E (2, 3).

Bottom Line: Whole eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet, containing a little bit of almost every nutrient we need. Omega-3 enriched and/or pastured eggs are even healthier.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 9:23 pm

anyway, i already gave you useful advice about how to solve your money problems.

go to the middle east for a year or 2

NOT egypt.

countries that pay well.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 9:45 pm

sorry, something doesn't add up with your expenses.

you sure you're not telling us about the 5K a month you spend on whores and crack?

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 07, 2014 9:56 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:
    Psioncy wrote:Eat like the locals  Rolling Eyes 

I already do eat like the locals.  It's still fkn expensive.

no, locals cook like local restaurants at home.

so that means if the restaurant is charging 10 kuai, the locals are cooking it at home for a lot less.

i'm sure a lot of locals spend way less than 1000 a month on food.

ask around. not the white collar folks.

No,not in beijing. I really think you're confusing modern beijing with the old, or some other nongville in chinar.

I shop at local markets, I cook hotpot five times a week. So I *know*. Prices have been going up and up across the board for years and years now.

And a "restaurant meal" doesn't mean noodles. It's means a couple vegetable dishes, some juice, some meat dish. You can cook noodles in chicken broth for next to nothing, but what's the point? It's mostly empty calories.

To make proper dishes, you need a variety of ingredients. That's what adds up. You can't just say "buy a chicken breast and eat it" cuz that's D U M B.

You need seasoning, some bread or rice, a side dish, oil, a salad... whatever. You mean to tell me you just steam up a single plain chicken boob and eat it just like that? Come on!

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/10-reasons-to-eat-eggs-2014-5#!J6X5l

1. Eggs Are Incredibly Nutritious

Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet.

A whole egg contains all the nutrients required to turn a single cell into a baby chicken.

A single large boiled egg contains (1):

Vitamin A: 6% of the RDA.
       Folate: 5% of the RDA.
       Vitamin B5: 7% of the RDA.
       Vitamin B12: 9% of the RDA.
       Vitamin B2: 15% of the RDA.
       Phosphorus: 9% of the RDA.
       Selenium: 22% of the RDA.
       Eggs also contain decent amounts of Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium and Zinc.

This is coming with 77 calories, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of healthy fats. Eggs also contain various other trace nutrients that are important for health.

Really… eggs are pretty much the perfect food, they contain a little bit of almost every nutrient we need. If you can get your hands on pastured or Omega-3 enriched eggs, then these are even better. They have more Omega-3s and are much higher in Vitamin A and E (2, 3).

Bottom Line: Whole eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet, containing a little bit of almost every nutrient we need. Omega-3 enriched and/or pastured eggs are even healthier.

Yeah, eggs are good for you, but better buy organic here in Chinar to avoid all melamine or whatever else.  I go with organic or the little quails eggs, which I find tastier anyway.

I eat them almost daily. Almonds are also a good source for omega 3, and tuna. Sometimes I'll make a hotpot with all that stuff in there, plus green veggies like baby celery, cilantro, dill.... plus dark chinese vinegar and sesame sauce. It's like a nutrient bonanza. But.... that meal costs 40 or 50 kuai.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 10:20 pm

I refuse to get too paranoid about food worrying everything might be contaminated.

In fact, I think that the Matrix media does it on purpose to keep reporting this crap to keep people in fear.

If people want to poison me, then they're going to pay karmically for it anyway. Deliberately contaminating food is right up there with murder, rape, and child abuse. And I'll send you a postcard in hell.

For chicken breasts, here's the deal:
    1 - I already explained. You can just cook it up plain - like fucking boil the thing or grill it in a small oven. If you add it to salad and add a salad dressing (olive oil, honey, mustard, vinegar), you're in business. These are simple ingredients and you got yourself a good protein and healthy fat. And veggies, you can use just lettuce if you're in a hurry or add other stuff to the salad.

2 - You can make chicken skewers in the oven. Look up some recipes. Cook a bunch of skewers for 3 days.

3 - You can take the chicken breast, dip it in flour and egg (salt, pepper), then fry on both sides several minutes. Absolutely delicious. This is my favorite quick and easy way to prepare chicken breasts. Also keeps in the fridge a few days and they taste good eaten cold. No need to reheat. You can buy a dipping sauce like chili sauce or dip it in honey-mustard sauce for more flavor.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Um, I appreciate your frugal cooking tips.

But Chinese food scandals like the melamine eggs and dairy, and gutter oil, and all the rest are all too true.  

If anything the media here is repressing those stories.

Think about it.  Their CFDA (counterpart to US FDA) has no control or enforcement.  If vendors can make an extra nickel a day selling you turnips grown in radiative sewage, then you can be sure as shit you're eating radioactive sewer turnips.

If giving you fkn cancer makes them one red nickel in their stinking life, it's worth it.  And they will do.

And they do do it.

So please get paranoid, it's the smart thing to do.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Ground beef is also a major staple for me. I eat it at least a couple times a week.

It takes 5 fucking minutes to make a burger on the frying pan.

You can add chopped onions, tomatoes. Or just fucking mustard and ketchup.

Fries on the side cooked in healthy fat are not junk food.

I skip the bread.

Fantastic meal in 5 minutes.

One package of ground beef for 20 kuai (in my neck of the woods) is good for 2 fairly large burgers.

One for lunch, one for dinner.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 07, 2014 10:33 pm

Yeah but you're more likely to get cancer from the paranoia than the food.

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 pm