Laid Bare!

where are people driving to all the time?

The Great Splendini

where are people driving to all the time?

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:43 pm

where are people driving all the time?

is it so fucking hard to live close to your fucking work? to shop in local markets? to eat in local restaurants?

why are the streets always but always fucking CROWDED?

yeah, ok. expecting people to give up cars is way too radical.

even though, me, i'm getting fucking rollerblades motherfuckers.

Psioncy

Re: where are people driving to all the time?

Post  Psioncy on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Going local is the best idea, of course. But what happens is that families have more one than one person in them, mom and dad have different jobs in different areas, and the kid is going to the best school they can manage to get into.

Most chinese I talk to take proximity to their kids schools as the main consideration, not their commutes to work.

Plus a lot of these professional middle class types save up for an apartment, and wind up buying one way out in the burbs. And of course they still have to commute into work every day.

Ideally, yeah, I try to be as local as possible. But I'm gonna be changing jobs soon and I have a lease on my apartment, and I'm prepaid on the rent four months in advance + a security deposit. If I get a good offer elsewhere I'm gonna have to commute.

It's not always a matter of choice is my point. Cuz in a place as crazy and unstable as beijing, things often just don't align. For years I've been trying to get my employment contract, house lease, and visa to all end at the same time, but no dice.

What sucks is that you have to prepay rent and employers hold pay back. So if the abovementioned doesn't align, you're gonna take it up the ass hard. Breaking the employment contract, you lose withheld salary owed to you. Breaking your lease, lose security deposit and any prepaid rent. So things being misaligned really traps me. I mean if I just up and bolted right now, I'd be out four months of rent, security deposit, and five weeks of salary owed me.... not to mention all my stuff.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:54 pm

yeah, ok. fair enough.

true. and housing is expensive near the CBD where everyone works.

yeah, ok. ok.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Yeah and who would want to live over there anyway? The busstops are crowded to hell in the evening.

I mean sure it's more modern and there's more KFCs and 7-11s around, but so what?

I live in city center and I'm only paying 2.5k per month for a private place. I bike to work and everywhere else.

I can't even remember the last time I used the subway system, or took a taxi for that matter.

As bad the fkn traffic has gotten, going anywhere is an ordeal that's seldom worth it.

But you know, on an e-bike traffic stops mattering so much. Even the worst rush hour traffic only adds a few minutes to my travel time, cuz you know, you can do whatever you want on an e-bike. Pull it up into the sidewalk, drive in the car lane if traffic is slow, run lights, whatever. I mean I know it sounds like I'm a bad driver, but I'm not. Everyone on e-bikes rides like that.

The biggest issue is security. But usually if you know the area, you also know some secure (paid) bike parking. It's really not worth it to leave an expensive bike in an unsecured parking area, cuz it will eat at you and detract from whatever it is you're doing. The other option is just have a really shitty bike that nobody will bother to steal (and won't phase you much even if it does) but who wants to ride a shitty bike? And e-bikes are targets no matter how crappy they are, cuz the battery has value.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:17 pm

Many years ago I used to live in Haidian and thought nothing of taking a taxi to sanlitun and back for a night of drinking.

Nowadays, forget that shit.  Much harder to find a taxi, way more traffic, and expensive.  

Then you know, I wised up and moved to gongti so I wouldn't have a long commute to the bars.

(Actually in retrospect that wasn't wise at all...)

I'm might move again in a few months.  I'll only risk losing 2.5k on the security deposit.  Big whoop.

I lived like everywhere in the city already, within third and second ring roads, except for the south.

Probably another area of dongcheng, like Beixingqiao/Yonghegong.  I think that's the best place to live in the city, provided you can find a decent pad.

Xicheng is not good, it gets real nong real fast.  SLT has entirely lost its appeal to me.  All of "modern" beijing depresses me for some reason.  I mean the way I see if you're gonna live here, live somewhere interesting at least.

Almost all the nieghborhoods foriegners inhabit like shuangjing, Wudaokou, SLT, CBD.... and everywhere else FUCKING SUCK.  

Shopping malls, who fucking cares?  Most people don't buy shit at shopping malls here, cuz they're overpriced.  What most people do is go to the fkn shopping mall and walk around aimlessly looking at shit they're not gonna buy.  For the life of me I can't understand why ppl enjoy that.

Way back when, "second ring" was actually a giant wall, until the commies decided to take it down.  Personally, I think they should put it back up.

I'm gonna try to find work nearby and then never have to leave second ring.  As it is now I almost never do.  Except for April Gourmet/Jenny Lou runs.  But there are places to buy coffee and hot sauce near here.  And if I'm gonna do western food, I find it's cheaper to hit a restaurant than it is to shop at the aforementioned rip off markets.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:35 pm

I was even thinking about renting another cheap hutong place and making into a classroom, then doing private students.

But I really don't want to invest money in anything at this point either.

Maybe.  It's actually not as impossible as people think to start a legal school.  It's just a matter of filling out the right forms and paying the taxes.  As an international company, you can sponsor yourself for a work visa, and even hire on more foriegn teachers.

Hmmmm...... if I had a savvy chinese partner I'd do it.  But I don't have any friends, so fuck it.

It's still a good idea though.  Of course you need a chinese partner to recruit students and handle the business end, maybe a chinese english teacher, cuz then she could also be recruiting students for herself, and you know you just sort out some equitable arrangement to divvy up the earnings.  Plus the hutongs are a great place to do it, because adults and kids alike quite enjoy coming into the hutongs to do something.  And space is cheap.  

It would take a little time to build up a client base, but once you did, I bet you'd be taking home 20k+ a month in personal income.  And walking to work, and taking time off whenever F you felt like it.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:28 am

I guess I could just use an agent to handle things. As long as he's transparent about the cut he's taking I don't have an issue with this really, cuz I can't recruit students effectively on my own. And it's pretty easy to know if he's double dipping cuz the you can ask the students how much they are paying him.

I kinda like this idea. My only concern is how much $$$$ it will take me to get legal.

Aside from being greedy and sleazy, which they are, agents do have a huge advantage over a Chinese partner or GF, which is that they actually know how to get things done. Your chinese GF or guanxi buddy might talk it all up really big, and then be turn out to be totally incompetent.

It would probably be easy enough to run the school under the radar, soas to generate income until you can go legal. Especially if the "school" is a residence. I mean a lot of people do that already, and I've never heard of anyone getting busted for it.

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:54 am