Laid Bare!

New soup recipe

Psioncy

New soup recipe

Post  Psioncy on Mon May 12, 2014 8:25 pm

As you guys know, i'm a big hotpot/malatang fan.  But sometimes I don't want something quite so spicey, and maybe more brothy.

Use a teflon pot for this:

Psioncy's Malatangyish Soup:

1.  Small amount of oil in skillet.
    2.  lightly fry finely sliced tomato and potato (small quantity of potato, like a 1/4).  Maybe add a small quantity of fragrant greens too so the oil soak in the flavor.
    3.  Add an egg at the end of the light frying.  Turn off heat.
    4.  (You can do this beforehand) Grind up a half a bulb of garlic in a mortar and pestle.  Add some water in the process.  Add a healthy dash of chen(g?) cu (chinese dark vinegar)
    5.  Add a bowl of water to the pot you just fried in.
    6.  Add finely cut green veggies (baby celery/dill/cilantro/cabbage/whatever)
    7.  Reapply heat.
    8.  Add a dash of chinese dark vinegar.  A sprinkiling of chicken powder and chili powder.  And a dollop of majiang.  
    9.   Lightly coat the surface with flour, and dump in half the garlic solution from the mortar.
    9.   Mix it up and let it cook for just a short while.
    10.  Server in a bowl and add the rest of the garlic solution.

You wind up with the thick (depending on how much flour you use) stew kind of dish.  It looks a lot like curry, and could be similarly eaten over rice.  I prefer to just scarf it down with a spoon.  The flavor is amazing!

And the dish is quite healthy, since nothing is cooked too long, and it contains a high variety of nutritious ingredients.

Last edited by Psioncy on Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Re: New soup recipe

Post  Psioncy on Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 pm

BTW:  The salinity depends on how much chicken powder you use, so use more if you want something salty.

I find that lower salt allows the other flavors to come out more.  And that dark vinegar has kind of bite that satiates any salt craving.

Not to mention the mega-dose of crushed garlic you're getting.

Well, your majiang may be salty too, depending on what kind you use.

It seems like all that Wangzhihe(sp?) brand stuff is extremely salty.  The local vendor market majiang (sesame paste/sauce) vendor usually has stuff that tastes better (and contains more sesame oil) than that jarred stuff from the supermarket.

The oily one is so much better, in flavor and consistency.  It will actually pour out of the jar, whereas the pure paste is like working with glue.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 pm