Laid Bare!

WTF Movies

The Great Splendini

Re: WTF Movies

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:36 pm

480 p still exist?

i know a guy who had an even older shittier laptop than me.

he uploaded 480p and was practically getting death threats.

people want the highest possible resolution.

fucking resolution junkies.

wait till 4K files starts coming out. fucking 16 GB files.

yeah, my HD was full. i think that might be part of it.

but anyway, i like browsing while watching movies. i can't do one thing at a time.

so i'm going to have to get another PC at some point.

thanks.

And Apt Pupil is good. I think it's based on a Stephen King novel. Or .... NOVELLA!

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm

More good films

Michael Clayton with George Clooney

Fracture with Anthony Hopkins

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:08 pm

The Master is a pretty good flick. I like how they ease you into the kookiness of the cult.

I wish I could make up some bullshit like that and become a cult leader. Mainly for the poon of course. But with the internet these days, I'm guessing most people are too savvy to fall for that stuff. If you want to be a cult leader in the information age, you really need some *spectacular* bullshit.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 pm

it's a strange movie.

different, unique.

maybe deserves a second viewing.

whatshisface (may his soul rest in peace & war) has(d) an odd charm.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:18 pm

no, you missed an important point from the movie.

one of his followers tells him it's all bullshit at one point.

most of these people KNOW or half-KNOW it's bullshit, but they don't care.

they need the groups support and the cult leader is like a father figure, etc...

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Yeah, his son thinks it's bullshit, and so does the lunatic guy. The lunatic guy is putting his best effort in to buy it though.

The women, whoever knows. They could just thinking how well the whole thing does them financially and believe it from that standpoint.

I think if you're gonna go with a cult nowadays, you'd better base it strongly on established doctrine, like Christianity or Buddhism, rather than making something up from scratch. Well, L. Ron Hubbard managed it. For the life of me I don't know how people go for Scientology. Their beliefs are so fucking obviously made up, they must have to browbeat people into it.

Lao Tzu indicated that as soon as you put it into words, you corrupt it (doctrine). Yet that does not preclude someone from experiencing it directly.

To me I'm interested in things being real, not more lies. Truth *is* my spiritual pursuit. If people don't actually believe the doctrine, then cults are more like social clubs I suppose. Heck, I know plenty of churchgoers who are atheists at heart, but go along with it anyway.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:02 pm

yeah, but did you ever see the compounds that scientologists have?

there muse be cooky stuff going on, but probably a lot of orgies. and more importantly, access to free tennis courts!

anyway, i'm convinced that some people (ie like Ron Hubbard) are demons sent from the dark pits of hell.

so they have special powers to influence people into darkness.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:19 pm

I was reading some sites about how the scientologists bilk their adherents, and how the tennis courts and luxury facilities are just for the upper echelon.  There is a lot of anti-scientology stuff on the web, a shitload, mostly put out their by ex-scientologists.

I don't like all that mind-control business.  What is a cult really?  It's some shitbag leader with an over-inflated ego running his mouth all the time, and a bunch of numbskulls playing audience to him and being sheep.  Neither side of that appeals to me in the least.

Like I said, the poon is the only reason to do it.  And, well, I suppose the money.  Tax-free donations from suckers, must be nice.

Mormons and Jehovahs are like that too.  They have smaller groups and the group leader has total control over the members lives.  It's like some sick S&M shit.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:32 pm

It's pure evil.

It's a form of psychological abuse.

I think people who were psychologically and or physically/sexually abused as children gravitate towards these groups because they haven't healed their issues from childhood.

And basically, this is just childhood abuse repeating itself.

Maybe so you can finally heal it for once and for all.

New age people use the term "take your power back". There's some truth to it.

Even in the workplace, there's all kinds of sick games going on where superiors are asserting their power over underlings in abusive ways. And in marriages the same. Power struggles.

Basically, you have to get yourself up to a level where no one is asserting power over you, but neither are you asserting your power over anyone else. Or if you are asserting power, it's for something positive.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 pm

workplaces are like cults.

the hierarchy is one big power abuse shithole.

i went to a bouffet with the office crowd. and the secretary was almost literally peeling the grapes for the president. well not exactly, but she was fetching his buffet food. he couldn't get up to the buffet himself and serve himself?

it's veiled S&M is what it is.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah it has no appeal to me from either side.  What kind of pathetic fraud must one feel like when he's surrounded by subjugated  underlings?  Doctrine always moves towards agreement.  It may be full of positive messages, but there's got to be penalties for dissent as well.  For my part, I'd rather just people respect each and allow a variance of perspectives to abound, each free to accept, reject, or cherry-pick at their own discretion.

Of course a certain moral code has to exist, namely not harming others.  Which is so simple enough a child can understand it.

The problem is that when you really do free yourself from all that, many people fail to relate to you anymore.  Cuz the S&M is so ingrained in them, they don't know how to conduct a relationship without it.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:51 pm

it's very simple. just cut these people out.

buddhism is much more flexible than any religion.

there are no FIXED set of beliefs. different monks have put forth different ideas and an intelligent buddhist (like one that i like reading, Brad Warner) will not lay out fixed ideas but rather explore different ideas and let you decide for yourself.

this is far more sane and wholistic.

and clearly people who are operating on this level are much more well-intentioned.

i'm not buddhist, but i find it far superior to christianity.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:59 pm

anyway, christianity is sick.

God is male. And God is an abusive male.

and the whole planet is a reflection of this abusive male father figure that comes from religion.

from your own father, to your govt (made up predominantly of men or dykes who look like men), to your company bosses to your cult leaders to your priests to your doctors.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm like Buddhist or something.  My house looks Buddhist.  I bought 500 prayers candles today and a bunch of incense cuz I was running low on both.  I've got a continuous burn going most of the time with both, even during the day.

"Veiled S&M" is a good way to put it.  My last company didn't know what to do with me, because I did my job well, but I didn't bow down to their not-so-subtle cues for me to do so.  The cues were not subtle because they were incredibly frustrated with me.  They wanted something from me, and I made it clear they needed to articulate it in order for me to consider it.  Then had a good laugh watching them trip all over themselves.

That's why I'm hoping I can get off the ground with part-time work and avoid all that crap altogether. It just leads to conflict everytime.  Not from me, I'm not seeking any conflict, it comes a-seeking me.  What can I say? I've gone this long without bowing down to anyone, so why start now?  Well, I've bowed to God, but that's totally different than bowing to people.  There is not one human being on Earth deserving of it.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:08 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:anyway, christianity is sick.

God is male. And God is an abusive male.

and the whole planet is a reflection of this abusive male father figure that comes from religion.

from your own father, to your govt (made up predominantly of men or dykes who look like men), to your company bosses to your cult leaders to your priests to your doctors.

My last company was all females bosses, and trust me they get off on that shit just as much, if not more. The penis envy just exacerbates it.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:11 pm

one place i worked at man. it was sick.

they had a field trip.

then the meal.

the meal lasted for hours and hours and hours on end.

because it was mostly drinking. and every 5 minutes someone had to make a toast to the "leader" and kiss his ass. and this literally went on for hours. it's really sick. one guy's face turned purple from all the drinking. but it's like energy vampires. these people are like vampires. they feed off people showing admiration (even if it's fake and everyone thinks they're assholes) and they feed energetically off manipulating others to their will.

it's deeply sick sick stuff. if people only understood how sick this shit is.

i went to a banquet. there were no males. all women (except his holiness, ME). and there was none of this shit going on. no drinking. no smoking. no ass-kissing. just a quiet dinner. i couldn't believe i was in china.

but yeah, i'm looking to do something independently. i don't want to work for other people the rest of my life.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Yeah those Chinese company dinners make me fucking sick.  It's like a sadistic game of simon says.

But you know, I realized something.  When I met with the American guys for that job, it was the same thing with that boss.

Sure he wasn't standing on formality to nearly the same degree, but he was on a major fucking ego-trip and his employees sure carried out their duties to enable it.

Last edited by Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:19 pm

that's why all bosses fucking hate me.

i never kiss anyone's ass.

i RESPECT everyone. until they give me reason not to.

and i mean everyone.

i give a warm smile to the fucking cleaning ladies.

i gave a gift to a cleaning lady once, and she practically started cackling. she couldn't believe that anyone would give her anything.

that's how i roll, motherfuckers.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Well, we've got a lot in common then.

My whole life I've been hearing "Well, Psioncy, you know...."

They can never quite put it into words, cuz they'll feel sick about themselves if they do.

In fact, I completely know what's up.  I'm just not fucking doing it.  I'm doing the job well though, so it really puts them in a bind.

It's not me that needs to "get" anything.  It's them.  

Cuz for damn sure I'm not about to wake up one day and say "You know what?  I think I'll make today the day I finally start sucking ass!"   Evil or Very Mad

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:44 pm

oh, not only that.

i've really stuck it to employers.

sometimes i outright call them out for their corrupt practices.

but sometimes i'm a coward and just shut up (like more recently, because i'm getting sick of bouncing from job to job).

but i've met some people much braver than me, man.

one chinese girl looked like she was fucking dying. she was emaciated. i think she made a living from trying to take down corrupt bosses. what a warrior.

and also i met an irish girl who was the same. she was really sticking it to the corrupt bosses.

so different strokes for different folks.

some people play the game, kiss ass ad nauseum.

some people are actually fighting the system.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 pm

some people are just bad people.

some people are just sheep, lost and confused and afraid.

so they'll do anything they think will help their career.

and then they get tangled in a web of bullshit.

sometimes people feel threatened by me because they can see i'm not playing these stupid games.

and they hate themselves for being trapped in it.

and that's what it is. a trap.

if you spend your life advancing through bullshit games, you haven't developed yourself and there's no other way to have a good career.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:53 pm

2 more great films:

I Am a Sex Addict
    A Past History of My Sexual Failures

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 pm

this country is one of the most matrix-y countries on the planet.

people spend 95% of their waking lives playing politics.

if they get rich, they send their children to western countries to study rather than try to improve anything here.

it's a joke.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:00 am

That's the thing though, you can't change things here. I've worked all levels of the education system.  There's no changing it.  Trying to do so is like beating your against against a brick wall.  Any chinese parent who can afford it is a bad parent if they *don't* get their kid educated overseas.

The high schools here, man, they really suck it out of them.  They're like big grinding machines that take happy creative kids and churn them back out as apathy monkeys.  9 hours of fucking class a day, are you kidding me.  There are limits to how to much information a student can absorb in a day.  Most of their homework is just nonsense busy work, cuz the teacher wants to be seen as a "good teacher" by the parents.  These kids *know* their childhood is being stolen away, and they resent it.  All that just so they can do well on the gaokao and get placed in a "good university".  Except that the universities all fucking suck.

I talked to a guy recently who had majored in computer science.  After graduating uni, he had to pay for private training, cuz he couldn't write code!  The unis here are a joke.  I know, I've worked them.  I had students who failed exams full of baby english, cuz they never bothered to come to class.  Or students I failed because I caught them cheating during the exam.  And every time, the school administrators came down on *me* for it.  When I refused to change the grades and pass the failing/cheating students, they'd just go and change them anyway.

I've known chinese that are completely aware that they're operating in world of corruption, and absolutely hate it, but they are helpless to do anything but go along.  It's something in their collective psyche that makes them into filthy lying sophists.  And something that makes them scared to stand up to it, collective cowardice if you will.  I heard all the anti-government propaganda about China in the west before I came here, but after living here, I no longer think the problem is the government per-se, but rather the culture, the people themselves.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:06 pm

i actually met a chinese woman who was teaching in a college and she would give 0s to students who did shit. her boss would come down on her but she wouldn't change it. but she's an exception.

but the other politics stuff, some of it you just have to roll with the punches and learn to live with it and be flexible. and some of it doesn't affect us that much anyway. we're not teaching medicine. people's lives are not at stake if they can't spell a word. and anyway, ESL is about FUN mostly. and they give you freedom to run the class the way you want without interfering.

and as far as the grading system, it bothered me when i first got here. i also wanted to fail some students. then i realized who cares? if these kids are lazy, it will catch up with them eventually anyway. and also.... if the grading system is too strict, kids tend to focus too much on grades anyway. some teachers believe that grading system should not exist.

so how other teachers teach their classes and how the school is run doesn't affect you that much. and other people can do whatever they like. it's none of your business. if a computer science teacher is shit and the kids aren't learning how to code, it has nothing to do with you. you just teach YOUR class the best way possible.

yeah well, despite all the problems you point out, i actually like teaching here. sometimes i LOVE it with certain classes. i'm laughing in the classroom and having shitloads of fun. the only reason i ain't gonna keep doing this is the peanuts they're offering. and also the culture of "the laoawai teacher isn't supposed to stick around too long". i was at an english speaking contest and one woman asked me "you were here last year. when are you leaving?" we're like disposable garbage. and anyway, the salaries are garbage. the private schools pay better, but too much corruption. in MOST, but not all.

if you have a computer science background, you can try getting a job at a GAC center teaching computers for students going to study overseas.

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:13 pm