Laid Bare!

Jesus H. God Almighty!

Psioncy

Re: Jesus H. God Almighty!

Post  Psioncy on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Well it seems overwhelming, but really this should be a lot easier than @#$! Chinkenese. The alphabet is large, but nothing like memorizing thousands of hangzi. And there are tones, but the tones actually follow rules. So really it's just matter of putting the work and lots of repetition to get the alphabet down. Each letter corresponds to a word, so I'll get started on vocabulary too. I'm gonna learn the alphabet down pat first before getting into vocab and grammar.

I quite like writing the letters, it's a pretty written language. Spoken it doesn't sound so nice, but I'm sure that will grow on me.

I'd love to be able to start using the language the moment I land there. It will be a huge advantage. And fuck it, I got the time.

Let me pick your brain Pi, cuz you've been there several times, yeah? Is Bangkok doable by bike like Beijing? What's the beef situation like? Or the best red meat alternative (that isn't pork!) What did you eat there? Any pitfalls to look out for? How much is shit, cultural anecdotes, blah blah blah, whatever. bounce

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:59 pm

I mean just look at this fucking shit!

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:48 pm

everyone speaks english in thailand. or more than china. it's a tourist country. they need english.

just worry about getting a good job, not the language.

bangkok is like a mini beijing. it's crowded, lots of traffic. but not as big as beijing. i personally don't like biking in big cities.

but haven't been to every part of bangkok. some parts might be nice for biking. do a google search.

thais don't eat much beef i don't think, but their food is good.

for food, i think there are lots of indian restaurants probably because there's a large indian population. i love indian food. and i'm not sure, but i think bangkok might be a world class city when it comes to food. you might be able to find just about any kind of food there. my budget is tight, so i didn't seek out high quality restaurants, but food-wise i think bangkok is outstanding.

about the seedy part, yeah it's world famous for that. but be careful. some expats get addicted to all the cheap whores and blow their life savings, you hear stories of suicides in bangkok because guys run out of money.

i don't think the teaching market is that great in Thailand. I tried several times to apply there and never got an offer. For every job, there's like 15 people applying.

anyway, go for it. maybe the best thing is just to go there physically and apply from there.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:00 pm

honestly, i researched thailand and i came to the conclusion that it's a nice place to live, but not the best place to teach English.

have you considered South Korea? The salaries there are much better. The country itself may not be as nice to live as Thailand though. But you'll have more money in your pocket to travel out of there.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:48 pm

I wouldn't be focusing on one particular place if I were you.

I would keep my options WIDE OPEN.

Look for the BEST JOB you can find ANYWHERE.

And BEST is a combination of salary and the people running the place aren't a bunch of jackals who are going to fuck you over.

WHERE you live is less important. To some extent.

Or if you absolutely insist in Thailand (not a bad choice as it has a lot of charms), be patient to find the right job. I read a blog where one expat got into a physical violence exchange with someone at work. If the job sucks. it's going to be the same hell as China all over again.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm not posting on this forum anymore.

Take care and best of luck.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:53 am

Well la-dee-dah da-da-dee-doo!  Rolling Eyes   How many times have we heard *that* before?

If I'm gonna invest hundreds of hours of study in this wacked out language, you better believe that's where I'm headed.

Tourist visas are 3-months, and supposedly the first renewal is pretty common, so that's six months right there to get something solid figured out.

South Korea sounds like a bunch of bunk, I heard the girls were none to loose either.  I have some hazy opportunity for work in Japan, but that sounds so uptight.  And I've maybe got free lodging on Fire Island, but there are no gdm jobs there and Manila is a big heaping pile of shit.

Bangkok is international and cheap and sleazy.  Just my style.

Hot weather is NP, I can adapt.  I've lived in Egypt and Fire Island, it takes time but eventually I get used to it.  Sounds really good actually cuz it's been getting down into the teen (Farenheit) here with much colder temps sure to come.  A little warmer here where I am cuz it's way out in the ocean, but that also gets us the brunt of any crazy storms that roll in.  I got myself a chainsaw now to clear up all the fallen trees, but no fkn way do I want to work outside when it's this frigid.

It's hella easy to get summer work here.  I could do six months in Thailand during the winter and six back here in season, with nary a visa or financial issue.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:20 am

yeah, if you can pull it off.

the thing is, employers don't allow you the luxury of taking 6 months off and then coming back.

and good jobs are not easy to find.

so your best bet is to find a GOOD job and then hang on to it.

thailand is beautiful place, but the employers might be dickwads like in beijing. be careful.

knock yourself out.

knock your socks off.

and as always, fuck you very much.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:41 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:yeah, if you can pull it off.

the thing is, employers don't allow you the luxury of taking 6 months off and then coming back.

Maybe not, but *here* they do. Tourist season is six months til the end of October, during which retard work abounds. Then nothing, all those jobs dry up. Cuz nobody wants to be here in the fucking winter, me included. It's dipping under 10 F right now. I haven't even left the house for three days.

So you know, I could make money here, then live there 6 months doing fuck-all, rinse and repeat. Avoiding the worst temperature extremes of both places. Anyway, still just a notion. I'll see how things pan out after I'm there a while. I've got enough goals to work on now. Working out, dieting, writing, household projects, and now language study. That's quite enough to keep me busy all winter.

I find I'm quite suited to not working. And I'd like to maintain this lifestyle as much as possible into the future.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:29 pm

there was an author i read once. can't remember his name.

he wrote philosophy books.

he lived in india 6 months a year, dude.

thing is, some remote parts of the world are freaking cheap to live. you can live on next to nothing.

i've heard of places where you can rent a HOUSE for 100 USD a month. not apartment. HOUSE.

so that's the kind of fucking shit i'm trying to pull off. find a high paying job 6 months a year and then fuck off to some remote place the rest of the year.

working non-stop 12 months a year with 2 weeks off is insanity.

i refuse to fucking do it.

the matrix has us by the cajones.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:05 am

Yeah, and the crazy thing is that I'm better off not-working than working.  Clothing, shelter, coffee, food, internet.  Everything else is gravy.

I met an expat dude in Beijing who lived in India for a long time.  He had actually HIKED into China from India over the Himalayas into Lhasa. Can you imagine that?!  He said living in India was an incredible experience and full of surprises.  But don't expect to find ESL jobs.  There aren't any.

The more I read about Thailand, the wearier I become.  The military is ruling the country now and it's not completely stable, and Bangkok becomes more and more restrictive year by year: Spot checking foreigners frequently, tightening visa regs, smoking ban, curfews and such in the name of social harmony or some similar term.  And a lot of the long termers are sounding more and more like China long-termers.

I've reading up Cambodia though, and there's a burgeoning ESL scene in Phnom Pehn.  From the sounds of it, it's pretty hardcore to live there, but it's also wide open.  Described as the "Wild West" of SE Asia.  Salaries aren't great, but the cost of living is dirt cheap.  Thailand just seems kinda played out, like China.  Cambodia is what ESL is meant to be, eccentric types and cowboy english teachers.  I'm eccentric myself, though my teaching style is far from "cowboy". It's very systematic and geared towards progressing the student. Still I like having those types around cuz they're a more interesting sort.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:51 pm

dude,

here's the thing.

the longer you stay abroad, the more impossible it gets to go back.

i've already almost reached the point of no return. sometimes i lose sleep over it.

but whatever. going back has its drawbacks too.

good luck.

yeah, not sure about Thailand man. it's not paradise.

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm