Laid Bare!

FACTOIDS .........

The Great Splendini

FACTOIDS .........

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:44 pm

australia minimum wage is 20$/ hour? dishwashers make that, i think. but cost of living is really high?

philippines give retirement visas to anyone OVER 35!!! what the fuck?? but you need 20K USD deposit. why are they do desperate for laowai?

north dakota's GDP was over 7% compared to 1% for most parts of the US.

The Great Splendini

Re: FACTOIDS .........

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:46 pm

i'm out of work, man.

this place is OPPRESSIVE.

that's what CHINA is mostly about. OPPRESSION and CONTROL.

sooner or later, it bites you in the ass unless you work for a western employer.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:17 am

You can stay in Philippines easily. The visa is nothing, just better bring your own money cuz you won't be making it there.

There are huge communities in Central America full of Americans who want to get away from US taxes and have household staff and shit like that, cuz back in their old gated communities in the US their moderate wealth didn't make them stand out. You can imagine what life in a third-world rich white asshole community like that is like. Rolling Eyes

The US is about location. I have to get out of where I'm at, cuz there is exactly nothing here. Just record snowfall, relentless snow week after week. Shovel, shovel, shovel... The banks are so high I have to carry each shovelfull off cuz there's nowhere to fkn put it. I'm trapped in a white, fluffy prison.

I'm thinking about making a break to greener pasteurs. Actually I have no choice. Ideally somewhere where I can find reasonable employment, low rent, and don't need a gdm car.

I'm working on it.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:23 pm

yeah, fuck it.

i don't think i would like the philippines.

and i don't think i would like central america either.

maybe brazil i would like...

i'm about to pull a midnight run and just pack up and get the fuck out of my apartment before the powers that be get back from spring festival.

problem is i dont have anything else lined up.

just had an interview. the guy sounded like a snake in the grass. it's better to not work than work for these assholes.

and i'll lose my chinese visa, so i need to lay low somewhere for a couple of months.

and if nothing comes up, i'll have to head home unemployed.

this is a bad situation man.

i can't move in with my folks to get back on my feet coz they do my head in.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:26 pm

You can always steal my idea for Cambodia, I'm not so sure I'll be using it anyway.

Short flight, easy visa, ESL jobs, and low startup costs.

Well I mean, don't go by my word cuz I've not actually been there, but your own e-research will tell you the same thing.

I'm still in limbo. Was gonna go to Florida, but now I'm looking at Japan again...

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 pm

i have to get the fuck out of the country in like 3 fucking days and i don't know where i'm going.

i stumbled upon some blogs about cambodia.

they give a 1 year visa for 250 USD or something. no questions asked. they don't even care what you're doing in the country.

but i also read a blog about it being "the wild wet of asia" and you can get yourself killed there pretty easily.

so that has me pretty worried. poverty is rampant and therefore so is crime.

hookers can be had for 1 USD, according to this blog. that's frightening. it means a human being doesn't have much value and no one would blink if you disappeared.

another option is to bounce around from one southeast country to the next, which is what i might be doing until i get back on my feet.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 pm

just apply everywhere and see what comes up.

a job is a job.

you can always sort out long term plans later when you're employed.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:04 pm

i lost a couple of good job opportunities because i didn't want to break my contract.

NEVER be faithful to corrupt employers. fuck them.

the fact that they control your visa is already a form of corruption.

in japan, i think the work visa doesn't belong to the employer, but not sure.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:59 am

The Great Splendini wrote:

they give a 1 year visa for 250 USD or something. no questions asked. they don't even care what you're doing in the country.

but i also read a blog about it being "the wild wet of asia" and you can get yourself killed there pretty easily.

hookers can be had for 1 USD, according to this blog. that's frightening. it means a human being doesn't have much value and no one would blink if you disappeared.

another option is to bounce around from one southeast country to the next, which is what i might be doing until i get back on my feet.

Oh man, see now you say all that I want to go again. I don't think you'll get killed so easily, I mean, living in the capital where there is already a burgeoning ESL scene. It's probably safe enough. The key is to keep little of value on you or in your house. Just hide that passport really really well.

Japan just seems so boringly civilized, I don't think I'd fit in there.

I'm gonna have to make up my mind soon. I'm leaning towards cambodia again.

I don't know what you mean about "bouncing around." You have to TAPROOT somewhere, meaning get an apartment and semi-stable employment. Otherwise it's just too damned expensive, I mean you're just TRAVELING. And that don't pay the bills. Nobody's hiring ESL teachers for such short term, and it's common to hold back salary to prevent runners.

Anyway, I hope you get shit figured out. Getting the F out of China seems like a good starting point. I couldn't take it.... it was just a long cyclic history of the same old bullshit, problems with employers, landlords over and over again without end. I couldn't go six months without something coming crashing down on me, and hence I was constantly playing catch up, working toward some hypothical stability that never came. Just the same shit, again and again and again. Fkn hopeless.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Psioncy wrote:
    The Great Splendini wrote:

Oh man, see now you say all that I want to go again.  I don't think you'll get killed so easily, I mean, living in the capital where there is already a burgeoning ESL scene.  It's probably safe enough.  The key is to keep little of value on you or in your house.  Just hide that passport really really well.

Japan just seems so boringly civilized, I don't think I'd fit in there.  

I'm gonna have to make up my mind soon.  I'm leaning towards cambodia again.

I don't know what you mean about "bouncing around."  You have to TAPROOT somewhere, meaning get an apartment and semi-stable employment.  Otherwise it's just too damned expensive, I mean you're just TRAVELING.  And that don't pay the bills.  Nobody's hiring ESL teachers for such short term, and it's common to hold back salary to prevent runners.  

Anyway, I hope you get shit figured out.  Getting the F out of China seems like a good starting point.  I couldn't take it.... it was just a long cyclic history of the same old bullshit, problems with employers, landlords over and over again without end.  I couldn't go six months without something coming crashing down on me, and hence I was constantly playing catch up, working toward some hypothical stability that never came.  Just the same shit, again and again and again.  Fkn hopeless.

Hey DUDE. China has A LOT OF JOBS.

One guy I met keeps getting fired. I think he really sucks. But he's like 60 now and he keeps finding new contracts year after year.

it's hard to be unemployed here for long. even though a lot of jobs are shit, it's better than not working.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:42 pm

bouncing around means staying in a country until the visa expires, then moving to another country and repeating it until you find a job and know where you will end up.

i have been looking for jobs for 2 months. NADA.

most places never bothered replying. the few that did i googled them and they seemed like shitholes.

i was hoping to make my move during the semester break, but nothing came up.

now the semester begins next week. and i need to get the hell out of here. i can't work here anymore.

so i gotta pack a fucking suitcase.

cambodia might be the best option because of the one year visa. but anyway, i don't expect that i'll be out of work THAT LONG.

if you avoid western grub and booze, you can live pretty cheaply. that's the goal. rather than fly back home, where everything is a thousand times more expensive.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:49 pm

do you think employers in cambodia are going to be any better?

it might be safe in most areas, but find out which areas are not.

and yeah, cambodia MIGHT be FUN.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:12 pm

and remember, kids....

"If you want to win the lottery, first you have to make the money to buy a ticket."
    -- Nightcrawler

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:43 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:bouncing around means staying in a country until the visa expires, then moving to another country and repeating it until you find a job and know where you will end up.

i have been looking for jobs for 2 months. NADA.

most places never bothered replying. the few that did i googled them and they seemed like shitholes.

i was hoping to make my move during the semester break, but nothing came up.

now the semester begins next week. and i need to get the hell out of here. i can't work here anymore.

so i gotta pack a fucking suitcase.

cambodia might be the best option because of the one year visa. but anyway, i don't expect that i'll be out of work THAT LONG.

if you avoid western grub and booze, you can live pretty cheaply. that's the goal. rather than fly back home, where everything is a thousand times more expensive.

Yeah I went through the ringer the last time around looking for work.  And I had plenty of experience, I'd even freelanced lucratively for a few years in the past, but this last time around it was just bullshit around every corner.  Lies lies and more lies.  Like telling me they wanted to take me on, and I'd start next week, then the next week came and they had nothing.  Every fucking school I interviewed at had one thing in common... all their classrooms were empty!  Then the job I did take was part-time supposedly leading to full-time, but half the time I'd arrive for the scheduled class to find it was canceled for one reason or another and not make any money for the day.  Or you know traveling halfway across the city because an agent found me a student, only find that they hadn't actually done that.  And on and on and on with crap like that.  So I mean on the up side I wasn't working that much, but I only made like 6-7k a month from Aug through Oct, which was just treading water.  So I finally threw in the towel and left in November.  In retrospect I wish I'd relocated to Cambodia last May when I still had a decent stash of money.  Instead I spent the spring and summer doing fuck all, figuring I'd work my way into something eventually, but that didn't go so well with esl landscape having morphed into such a phenomenal level of suck.  Well at least I got a good long vacation out of it.

Now I'm looking at Japan, cuz I have something of an opportunity there, but from the youtube videos I'm hearing a lot of the same sucky complaints about is as long termers in China.  I get the impression that Japan is just a slightly cleaner version of China, except where I can't rub two words of the language together and shit is even more expensive.

So I gotta narrow it down to either getting to Cambodia or resettling in another part of the US, cuz there ain't squat here.  Cambodia is really daunting to me because of the language.  I spent like a week drilling myself on their ridiculous alphabet and still barely knew it from boo.  I suppose if I stuck with it, it'd sink in.  It's just so wholly unlike Chinese, and that's like the only other language I can really think in terms of.  You know I just want to be able to get there and get an apartment rented and shop and shit like that.  I won't have a lot of money, so I gotta get rooted down and cover myself at least a month to live, adjust, and look for work.  I can't be hemmorraging money on a hotel room.

Well, you're in a tighter spot than me.  I hope you get out.  I fucking had to get out, like ASAP.  I was just at the end of the road with China and all the lies and endless bullshit.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:08 pm

i read some blogs about thailand recently.

they're starting to be treated badly, harassed by police, etc... so a lot of them are leaving. but a lot are stuck there with business, property, wives.

ALL asian countries are racist towards foreigners. NONE give citizenship, no matter how long you stay. except Hong Kong, maybe.

speaking of which, ever consider Hong Kong? i think the corruption there is much lower than mainland china.

i had a major outburst yesterday at work. like BIG-TIME fucking meltdown. i was insulting everyone. i can't even remember what i said. i think i may have said china is shit and my country is better than this shit. i'm surprised i haven't been kicked out of the country or killed me yet.

my life might be in danger as people plot their revenge.

they drive you barking mad with their stupid policies and stupid decisions and poker face fucking bullshit to the point where you can't fucking take it anymore.

but the thing is, i've applied all over the place and if the first thing that comes up is another China job, then i'm taking it. But i really need to figure out a long-term plan. And it might be going back home. I think i'm sick of the fucking expat lifestyle. I'm sick of being a fuckign minority, applying for fucking visas, and all the fucking rest of it.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:12 pm

the jobs in china take their toll on your psychological well-being with endless bullshit.

and often for not that much money.

i'm really stupid for coming here and working here so long.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:21 pm

get a GOOD job.

it doesn't matter where.

every place has something going for it.

every place has bars and restaurants.

learn how to suss out a good job from a snake in the grass before you commit.

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:46 am