Laid Bare!

Sober now...

The Great Splendini

Re: Sober now...

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:41 am

Here's the bottom line:

I wish you the best of luck.

Just as long as your interests don't conflict with mine.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:40 am

But he' would be going to canada where the lower salaries are higher than in the USA?

Splendini: The European economy is diverse. Sourh: bad. The north: good. London/england is always a good option if you can get a work visa there.

Scoency: if you can afford a degree in English, why not just get a degree in something you can do in america too? If you want to live/work anroaf, why not get into the international hotel busniess, which is doable in both asia and america?

8 bucks is a bit low, yes. Im low paid in sweden and i get about 19000 sek (roughly the same as rmb) a month after taxes, which is enough for having a decent life, but 8 bucks? Im glad we dont have minimum wage laws here. That'd fuck up our entire system.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:55 am

Oh, it's worse than that.  Those jobs are all part-time, so you need TWO.  And then no health insurance.

To top that off, the corporate fascists know that you can't afford to quit, so they put all kinds of excessive demands on the worker.  Wage slavery.  That's what America has come to, and why the economy is staying shitty.

I talk to guys on retirement from big corps, guys who had careers that took care of them with livable salaries, 401Ks, life/health/dental insurance.  That's all out the window now.  Now they pay young people to work those jobs part time for no benefits.  I know one young guy here who worked an entire YEAR as an intern at a machine shop for zero pay.  Now he's making 25k a year, which is more like 18K once SS and Fed and all the taxes come out.  Wife, kid, and no insurance.  And he's better off than many of his peers.

It's so fucked up, there's just no fixing it.  Facism is defined as "collusion between the corporations and the state" and that's exactly what we've got.  Elections now are completely determined by who receives the corporate super-pacs, and those corps give to both parties.  Thus whoever is elected is beholden to wall street, despite whatever feel-good rhetoric they might roll off their forked tongues for public consumption.  Obama is an excellent example of this.

The program I'm signing up up for is an arts degree in English with a focus on creative writing.  That's why I'm choosing it.  I write for a hobby and teach english (or used to) for a living.  It fits me like a glove.  

I don't want to be a hotel manager or anything of the sort.  I would prefer to teach english abroad for my bread and butter, and focus on my writing in the hopes of someday deriving my living entirely from that.  This degree helps me along both paths.  Then if I can nail down a decent overseas salary, I'll invest in property in Phil or somewhere affordable to retire.  Or America, if it ever straightens the F out.  There a lot of cheap homes here now, but all the other costs of living are astronomical in relation to salaries.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:36 am

I talk to guys on retirement from big corps, guys who had careers that took care of them with livable salaries, 401Ks, life/health/dental insurance. That's all out the window now.

But maybe that's a good and necessary thing.

Those jobs were always part of "The Devil's Bargain" anyway.

What is the Devil's Bargain, you ask?

We'll give you security from cradle to the grave. Only thing is, you'll be doing meaningless and soul-destroying work your whole life.

The only people who are truly content are people who make a decent living doing meaningful work, utilizing their true talents.

And something else. I feel nauseous every time I go back home. Because everyone has a much higher standard of living than I've had living here, but people are always complaining anyway. No one seems to be happy with their lot in life. And that's because there's always some asshole down the street doing a bit better. And again, if people were doing work they really cared about, they wouldn't be complaining all the time.

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 pm