Laid Bare!

Cars ........

The Great Splendini

Cars ........

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 am

you mentioned cars in the other thread right?

cars are the perfect example of planned obsolescence.

it takes about 5 years to pay off a new car if i remember correctly, right?

and ever notice that that's just about the time when the car starts having problems?

as soon as it's paid off, then you have to start making payments on wear and tear.

and there's always SOMETHING to fix.

well, we need to keep the economy going i guess. but it's nothing but a TRICK to get into people's wallets really.
    Psioncy

Re: Cars ........

Post  Psioncy on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Yep, I owned second-hand cars all my life, and they are just ticking time bombs to major repairs.

My last car was a Volvo.  I actually liked that car but the labor is like $50+ an hour.  I got the book and replaced the head gasket myself, saving myself around $700.  But when the transmission went, I was helpless to fix that on my own.  Very nice car to drive but always *something* fucking up on it.

I know one guy who has a Toyota he's been driving for 11 years with like 150k+ miles and never needed any work done on it beyond a tune-up and new tires.  Gets near 40 miles to the gallon too.  The flip side of that is that it feels like a death trap to drive in that thing.

I'm in the boonies here and it's just like Maine.  These yokels (well the wealthier ones at least) cruise around in shiny 1/4 ton pickup trucks, which are spotless.  I swear the bed of them has never even seen a load in it.  What a fucking waste of machinery -not to mention fuel.  I guess the important thing is not to look like a pussy tho, you know, driving around in some normal sized passenger vehicle.  Rolling Eyes

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah, people still show off with their cars right?

I just want MONEY to take time off, travel, and work on creative projects. And buy a place in the woods.

I could care less about having the biggest car on the block. It's so fucking stupid.

The Arnold was pushing Hummers at one point. Nothing says 'fuck the environment and hippie assholes' like a Hummer.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:45 pm

I had a pickup once, a Ford Ranger, which is a smaller one.  But I used the shit out of it, hauling seafood and gear around for work.  The thing that sucks about owning a pickup though is that every time someone needs something hauled they are calling in a favor.  Rolling Eyes

If you are just gonna need a truck twice a year, DON'T BUY A GIGANTIC PICKUP.  Just pay delivery charges or rent a u-haul.  Jesus

It's so fkn dumb I don't even have words for it.

They take the environment as an either/or supposition.  It ain't.  

Just cuz some environmentalists are wackjobs doesn't mean we shouldn't give a shit... or go to the reverse extreme and take pride in causing more damage.

And the hummers Rolling Eyes   People with too much money and not enough creativity.

The Army uses hummers CUZ THEY NEED THEM.  Joe Shmoe doesn't.  He can get by fine with a car.

Europe and Japan were smart enough to invest in railways.  America is already finding herself fucked from this lack of foresight.

Sure gas prices are low now, cuz OPEC is trying to put the US producers out of business.  Once that's done, it'll spike right back up again.

Also they'd been raising the costs of goods for years on the rationalization that fuel prices were rising.  Now that they've dropped, how come the costs of the goods haven't?

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:30 pm

to me, cars lower the quality of life.

i'd like to see bike lanes and walking paths and more green space.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:49 am

Yep, look what a mess they've made of Beijing.

The US and Canada, sadly, are 100% car-dependent nations. Shitty bus and train networks, and shopping areas are way too spread out. I looked into the train from Maine to Florida, and the airticket was cheaper. You need a car here. It's that simple.

I would much rather live in a world of affordable, comfortable public inter-city transport, and EVs for intra-city transport. Unfortunately the US in not set up for either, and won't be for a long time to come. In China I can buy an electric bike w/ battery for $150 dollars (or cheaper used) and a totally kickass one for $500. Here in the US they cost THOUSANDS. It's more like something for the hobbyist than an affordable means of transport for the masses.

The e-bike is the most efficient means of powered transport known to man, because unlike a car it doesn't have to expend energy to haul its own bulky mass around. And it costs pennies a day to charge.

Elderly/disabled people will of course need larger 4-wheeled vehicles, as will families with children. We'll still need trucks and such to deliver goods. But getting rid of personal passenger vehicle will eliminate 90% of the problem.

Never gonna happen though. Car ownership is equated with "freedom" "success" and a bunch of other bullshit. If "freedom" is pouring tons of money into way more machinery than I need strictly in order to show it off, then I don't need it. How is that freedom? It's not. It's just decadence is all it is.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 am

ebikes are ok, but not when you're battling with cars. how many ebike accidents are there in china?

I would like to see radical changes in how we get around the city.

and i'm gonna make it happen.

coz i'm Captain-Save-The-Transport-System.

A really cool superhero.

And I got a cape, mothafuckas.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 pm

so you had a volvo?

interesting serendipity that years later you have a guy working at volvo on your forum?

or meaningless ?

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:02 am

The new volvo xc90 is sadly aiming at that group of customers. Its expensive as fuck too.
    If your door system fucks up, it might be me.

As for owning a car - public transportation is fine by me. The only reason for getting a car is if i had a family, which i probably never will get. A car as a status symbol is a huge facepalm. People with expensive cars have issues, especially those who spend half their income on paying off debts on a stupid car. that only drops in value.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:13 am

That Volvo was the best car I ever owned.  I got a deal on it too, 3 grande, with 70k miles on it, which is not a lot for a Volvo.  Turns out it was cuz it was this guy's ex-wife's car.  They had recently divorced.  There was some legal injunction to get the car back from me, but then the dude comitted suicide and I don't what happened but the authorities stopped pestering me about the car.

Man, I loved driving that thing.  Sometimes I'd just cruise around with no destination and for no other reason than just to drive.

I understand that a chinese corp owns volvo now tho, so I wouldn't buy one ever again.  They are notorious for substituting cheaper metals, among other things.  Even if you guys are keeping the standards up for now, I still reckon it's just a matter of time before they are selling deathtrap shitboxes.

One of my last students in Beijing was a "reverse engineer."  His company focused entirely on BMW's and copying their engine systems.  He didn't even bother to hide that fact.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:49 am

The Great Splendini wrote:ebikes are ok, but not when you're battling with cars. how many ebike accidents are there in china?

No, e-bike is hands down the best way to get around Beijing.  Roll the bike out the door and GO.

No walking to bus-stop and waiting, futiley trying to hail a taxi, or navigating the labyrnthian maze that is the Beijing metro.

My life was golden once I figured this out.  10 minute commutes up and back to work, you just can't beat it.

A lot of e-bike riders are assholes, that's why some other chinese cities have banned them.  They don't follow rules, even major intersections on the 2nd Ring I'd see these guys just cruise through the red light.  I guess they just figure they'll handle whatever situation comes up while they're in the middle of the intersection.

With an e-bike you never have to fret traffic jams cuz you have your choice to cruise in the bike lanes, car lanes, or on the sidewalk.  Safety-wise, well, I never had an accident (when I was sober) because I drove defensively.  I just expected bikes to cruise too fast toward me down the wrong lane, rubbernecking idiots who don't look in front of them, bricks and potholes or other obstructions in the bike lane, other moronic e-bikers who pull out of blind intersections in hutongs without checking for traffic, and cars suddenly turning in and cutting off your path without bothering with the turn signal.  I was ready for all of this, all the time.  Thus I never had an accident.

Drunk, I did crash a few times.  But those weren't traffic related misshaps, it was just me unable to balance myself on the bike.  Hang around the inner city enough and you'll see drunk bikers and e-bikers, it's always the same thing and it's pretty hilarious to watch. They start shaking the handle bars jerking left and right and wobbling til they tip over or hit something cuz their balance is severely impaired.  I love to watch chinese come out of the restaurants so drunk off their ass on baijiu that they are unable to even get on their bike.  It's so funny watching them try to mount the bike, and then both them and bike falling over.  And they just keep doing it, again and again.  I think that, even drunk, I have enough sense to realize that if I can't get on the bike there's no chance I'm gonna be able to ride it.  Laughing

They are dangerous though I suppose.  I had a private student years ago, a really sweet boy about 10 years old, who didn't show up for his lesson one week.  I investigated what was up and was finally informed that after his lesson the previous week with me, his mother was transporting him home on an e-bike and got rammed by an SUV.  The mother lived, but the little boy died at the hospital from the trauma.  I was really sad about that.  It's got to happen a lot. I'd see a lot of moms transporting their little ones to and from lessons on tiny e-bikes.  Sometimes I'll even see the kid sitting on the back trying to do homework while the bike is moving.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 am

exactly, people on ebikes get killed by cars.

so why did you go into a 6 page spiel about how convenient they are?

ebikes need to be separated out completely from cars. they cannot share the roads together.

the system is totally incompetent.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:23 am

Like I said, if you ride smart (i.e. defensively) the e-bike is absolutely, hands-down the best transportation solution in Beijing.

They're relatively safe so long as A) you don't ride like a dumbass and B) you anticipate everyone else driving like a dumbass.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 am

never owned one and never will if i can avoid it.

it's debatable whether it's even ethical to drag your children on those e-bikes.

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:02 am