Laid Bare!

Holy fuck!

Psioncy

Holy fuck!

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 am

I had heard that I could get college credits for my US Army training, but I never thought much of it.

Basic training and combat medicine, I just never figured that equated to much academically.  

But I just inquired.  Do you know how many fucking recommended credits I have from them?

Fucking 48!

I have credits for the stupidest shit, like outdoor survival (camping) and firing a rifle, shit I totally knew how to do before I joined.

More amazingly, I have credits with them for shit I never even did!!!!

Holy shit, I'm psyched.  I could be done with this degree and back in the Jing within the year!

It all depends on how many of those credits my uni accepts.  I'm not sure how they translate, so I shouldn't get too excited just yet.

No matter what I've still got a good 20+ required credits left to go on my degree program.

But still.... HOLY FUCK Shocked   I was only in training about a year, classes sure, but also just a lot of crawling around in the fucking mud, yet it translates to 48 recommended college credits?!?!?! That's fkn awesome!

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Re: Holy fuck!

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:59 pm

outdoor survival.

yep, go for it.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Dude, I have one ACE credit for learning to throw a grenade.  Something you can learn to do in half an hour.

I'm still waiting to see what my uni says, but I just read their policy on ACE credits, and they generally accept them.

"Outdoor Survival" is total bullshit.  I mean, I have that skill in spades cuz I spent half my life camping before I came to China.  But in the Army?  Shit, that was just a matter of setting up your tent.  Trucks even hauled our gear to the bivouac site for us -along with hot meals.

Well, now that I recollect, some of it was a lot more grueling than that. Like 14 mile marches through the mountains that left your feet blistered for days.  Marching through swamps and shit, and live-fire exercises with the rounds going over your heads.  I mean, if you popped up from a low-crawl, you would be hit.  Denoting claymores and launching shoulder mounted missiles, live hand grenades, helicopter extractions... So that was all pretty serious bidness. But I mean, we weren't hunting or foraging or doing any of that crap, that's for certain.  I don't think I ever so much as missed a meal -or a dessert for that matter.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:28 pm

I am soooo fkn psyched.  If I find out all I've got left to do is 20 odd credits I'm gonna be ecstatic. Cuz frankly, I don't even know how I'm gonna pay for the next semester, let alone two more years of classes.

If I can get Federal Financial Aid I'm golden, but the catch 22 is I can't cuz I have these defaulted student loans.  I'm thinking about declaring bankruptcy.  Everyone thinks you can't wipe away student loans with bankruptcy, but in fact that's not true.  You can.... particularly if you qualify for "hardship."

Seeing as how I have ZERO income, that shouldn't be hard to pull off.

Ruin my credit for 7 years?  Who gives a fuck?  I already have these old student loans ruining my credit for eternity til I get rid of them.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:31 pm

If not maybe I'll try to establish credit, like with a secure credit card.  Then once I've built a decent credit line, use it to pay off my loans.  Then file bankruptcy.

I wonder if that's get-away-with-able?

I have absolutely no integrity anymore. Integrity never did nothing good nohow!  Everything is a scam to fuck me in all directions all the time.  So if I can scam 'em back I'm gonna do it.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:28 am

Sweet!!!! They are taking most of my military credits. That means I only have 25 credits left to go!

I have to change programs though, but whatever. I'll have that degree in 7 months. Then be off for my CELTA.

Back working in Beijing within the year. Sooo sweet.

When I went into this I was looking at two years and a lot of money. Now I'm looking at under a year, and half the money.

The only problem is that I'm so unused to getting good news about anything ever, I don't quite know how to take this. confused

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:29 am

that's good news.

good luck.

you never got your celta? how the fuck did you teach?
    i wouldn't know what to do in the class without one.

a guy here has been teaching for a long time without a celta. but he keeps getting fired.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 am

You have a CELTA? Shocked

Wow, u r more qualified than I am then.

I had some bullshit TESOL certificate from the first school I worked at that cut the mustard with the FEB.

Despite my lack of formal training, I think I established pretty good methods over the years. I was definitely in high demand with students.

My methods are very practical-minded. I'm sure getting the CELTA will teach me a few new tricks though.

I'm thinking about doing a one-month intensive in Beijing. But I might do it Miami or Boston to save on the airfare.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:44 am

you don't have to do CELTA.

i think there are a couple of others that are also fully recognized.

not sure.

actually, the CELTA sucks in many ways. it's way too fucking intensive.

but anyway, if you've been teaching for so long, you'll find it easy.

but if you can find a training course that's spread out rather than intensive, it would be better.

i hadn't taught at all before doing it.

and they make you write detailed lesson plans. who the fuck does that in the real world?

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 am

I do. I nearly always outline my classes.

Many of my students were private, with specific needs. So I'd usually custom design lesson plans and material for them.

The intensive CELTA is truly intensive, like class and practice morning to evening for a month. But still, I think I'd prefer to bite the bullet and get it done.

Hopefully you're right and my experience will make the whole thing less taxing.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:10 pm

I can't believe you have a CELTA and think making 15k RMB is great money. Rolling Eyes

If you go back to Beijing, you can make much that easily.  *Easily*

And if you need to learn how to find a cheap apartment in Beijing, look no further.

I am the *master* of finding cheap apartments in Beijing.

My fee in only 500 yuan an hour.  

And since you are an SK resident, I will knock that down to 499.

See?  SK membership *does* have benefits.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Yeah, but you make it sound so simple.

If it was so simple, you would have never left in the first place.

Often, the places that pay these high salaries have most have the most corruption. Seriously, try to think back about when you left. YOU were half-crazy from working in these places.

Or they simply work you to death. My limit for work is not very high. I can't teach 30 hours a week. I end up getting burned out.

Also, I developed a perpetual cough working in Beijing. My lungs are sensitive. If you spend the next 20 years of your life there, you have a good chance of getting lung cancer. There's that to consider.

And I like being near nature. I would look back on my life with resentment if I spent my entire life in Beijing. I hate the excessive concrete jungle shit.

Honestly, sometimes I think it's better to go back home and work for 6 dollars an hour.

But I'm thinking of other ways to generate income and wean myself out of teaching altogether. I am getting sick of teaching.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:12 pm

It IS getting easier. As Beijing tightens restrictions on foreigners, the ESL market grows hungrier for teachers.

Just check the Beijinger. Salaries are by and large up. 15k for 20-25 hours is not uncommon.

The details are important. If they want you to work 15 fkn office hours or something, that's bullshit.

For me it's almost entirely about working hours and location, salary is secondary to those.

Anyway, if you aren't happy where you're at, there're plenty of jobs in other countries.

I applied for this job in cambodia that would have netted me $300+ US a week w/ free apartment, but then I thought blah...

I'll just stick to my courses here, cuz those are keeping me busy enough. Then I'll get better paying work in China or whatever.

For the CELTA I'm now thinking about Ecuador, Bangkok, Czech Repubulic, or Mexico.... cuz them's all cheaper.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Shit the second to last school I worked at a big one, like one of the biggest.

And we had all kinds of illegal teachers, so many.  From student visas to no visas.

But the PSB is raiding more schools now, so that's really no way to live.

The last school I worked at I wasn't registered with through my visa, cuz I had just started and they told me I was on a trial period for a month before they took full time... which extended into three months. Rolling Eyes

They were sending me to this center for work a couple days a week.  I met one of their full-time FTs who told me that last P/T teacher who worked there had been busted in a PSB raid on the center like a week or two before I had started.

Of course neither the school nor the center manager told me that, I had to hear it second hand.

So I refused to go in to that center, which pissed off the center manager and the adminstration.  And then my job with them fell apart over my "bad attitude."

But I mean come on!  This is a school that was already recently raided by the PSB, who found a totally illegal teacher working there.  The FT got fined/jailed/deported... then those motherfuckers felt just fine sending me in his place to the same location without telling me about that.

Whatever. I couldn't get the release letter from my old visa sponsor anyway. I don't want to work illegally, and it was all just too fucked.  So I just gave up and left Beijing.  

I'm glad I did now.  I never could've gotten my shit together like I'm doing if I weren't in the US.  I mean, I didn't file with the IRS for 14 years!  Now that's all solved.

I wrote a book.  I'm getting this degree. I'm losing weight. I can't pay off my debts ATM, but at least I know what I'm dealing with now.

Yeah, I *needed* to get out of it for a while to straighten my shit out.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Well, I think Beijing is out of the question for me.

Like i said, i was developing a perpetual cough there.

And I ain't going back no matter what they're offering.

Health comes first.

I applied to the Middle East, but I only got one offer in Saudi. Saudi seems brutal.

But seriously, I'm getting sick of teaching English.

So I'm looking at other options.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Life doesn't work in a straight line.

Sometimes you get decent jobs, other times you get really shit ones.

At least that's been my experience.

So sometimes you gotta just take what you can get.

NOt saying you shouldn't get more qualifications, but they don't always guarantee good jobs.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:14 pm

China doesn't care about degrees that much.

So I don't understand why you think your life is going to be so much better now that you have degrees.

You still will be dealing with Chinese stupidity on a daily basis which will drive you to drink baijiu and end up where you were before.

I just got paid late. More than 1 week late. I have to hold my tongue not to lose my temper. But I feel like all my degrees are worthless and I'm being treated like someone with no education.

And if they keep doing it, I'll end up fighting with them and getting fired and repeat the whole process all over.

So I refuse to try to get more education to work in China.

To do something back home maybe. But to get more education for China seems ridiculous to me.

And they can fire you whenever they want. There's no job security here.

Nobody cares about your qualifications because the standards are low and because the bosses don't want you more educated than they are.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:41 pm

I think you might be in denial.

Either with yourself or with me or both.

Why did you leave Beijing in the first place?

You were totally fucked up when you left.

Is a CELTA really going to make that much difference?

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:38 am

Yes, this degree + CELTA is going to make a huge difference, cuz will then have the qualifications -as well as the mad skills.

I was burned out.  You remember, I didn't even work at all for like 8 months.  Then the job I got was total BS.

Money was running out and my visa was coming up.  I was drunk off cheap chinese hooch all the time.  I was getting fat as fuck.

Every couple months an old flame would pass through Beijing, then be off again to distant lands.  Which sucked because I was definitely at the point where I needed some help.

It just became untenable.  So I left.

With reasonable hours, reasonable commute, and a decent salary I will be able to live quite well in Beijing again.

I mean I did it over 13 years, and 9 of those were completely on my own.  I just reached the end of the road, and could not longer keep it up on my own.

I'm rebuilding now.  And I'll come into Beijing for Round 2 *much* stronger than I was when I left.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:40 am

The air never bothered me in Beijing.  I am one the few people who like the climate.

Sure, it's gray and dirty and dusty and depressing, but I like that inclement weather almost never screws up your plans.

Except that flood a few years back.  That was a doozy, holy shit!

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 am

ok, good luck.

i ain't goin' back.

i'd rather work for 2$ an hour back home than beijing.

that place is hell.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:49 am

Beijing comes with an extreme set of pros and cons.

When you've got ample free time, money, and no need to commute far... it can be pretty sweet.

Since you mentioned CELTA alternatives, I looked into the Oxford Trinity certification.

That can be done in India with very cheap hotel costs, so I'm thinking about that now.

Plus I've never been to India.  I think I will tack on some extra weeks before and after the program to soak up the culture a bit.

Seems like it would be a shame to just arrive there, study non-stop, then leave without deriving something more out of the experience.

Oh, in other news: RB is being discussed again on TheBeijinger, by Monkey King no less affraid

http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2015/10/05/what-will-you-do-if-you-got-deported-china

So we may have some old fashioned SK/TBJ mega-drama brewing. bom

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:41 am

well, MK didn't bring it up but he's clearly still enjoying the memories.

shit, people don't forget and move on, do they?

what's this?

WARNING: China Foreign Teachers' Union (CFTU) is a scam run by a convicted felon.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Well, in all fairness, that CTFU guy was a certifiable nutcase.

He was spamming TBJ Forum with 10 page attack pieces on his perceived enemies, from numerous different accounts.

Along with links to all his websites, which there seemed to be no end to.  His minions of sockpuppets were frequently backing him up... that is when they weren't fighting with each other.  Rolling Eyes

Real cuckoo stuff.  I mean his posts were so long, I can't imagine anyone at all was reading them through or following the highly-convoluted narrative.

He'd even wander off into the realm of posting complete delusional nonsense.  To this day I still have no idea what he was trying to accomplish.

TBJ has to be careful, cuz he was slandering a great many people and institutions.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of English schools that fully deserve to have their evils brought to light.  In most cases I'd even call it noble a public service.

But this dude tho was so off-the-rails to wackytown, there was no way to discern if any of his neverending allegations held merit.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:20 pm

well, i just googled them.

first thing that came up is this. not sure if it was written by them. the site is confusing. but i think some of these points are valid:

https://chinascampatrol.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/scam-alert-china-foreign-teacher-qualifications-tefl-tesol-requirement-fraud-is-out-of-control/

YOU DO NOT NEED A TEFL NOR A TESOL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH IN CHINA
    * YOU WILL NOT BE PAID MORE MONEY IN CHINA BECAUSE YOU HAVE A TEFL OR TESOL CERTIFICATE
    * LESS THAN 5% OF ALL FOREIGN TEACHERS NOW WORKING IN CHINA HAVE A TEFL OR TESOL CERTIFICATE
    * 80% OF ALL THE TEFL TESOL CERTIFICATES ARE NOT RECOGNIZED NOR ACCEPTED IN CHINA
    * ROUGHLY 300 OF ALMOST 20,000 CHINA SCHOOLS & “LEARNING CENTERS” EVEN ASK IF YOU HAVE A TEFL OR TESOL CERTIFICATE.

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 am