Laid Bare!

I might just go back...

Psioncy

I might just go back...

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Beijing is asshole-central.  Of the planet Earth.

And I know this is gonna sound completely stupid, but I *love* hutong living!

(W/ toilet and internet that is!)

My last place was so sweet.  Wayyyy deep in the hutongs, down a rat maze.  It was in good maintenence, clean...

I had my tibetan incense burner and candles going every night.  I could do all my shopping from vendors in a one-block radius without ever getting off my bike.

Once I get this degree, if I can find some kind of job around city-center, or even dongzhimen or whatever, with decent pay, I might just go back.

Granted the food here in the US is way better.  And it's so, so, SO much cleaner here.  And people are about 10 billion times more civilized.

But it's *boring* to me!  I lived in Beijing so long.  I have so many memories there.  I feel like it's my home.

So long as I find 1.  a decent hutong place  2.  a job with a decent salary that is  3. a reasonable biking distance from my home, I might just go back.

I'm gonna be in Dongcheng again, for sure.  I've already lived in Haidian, Chaoyang (SLT), Andingmen... and I rented a pingfang in Xicheng for a while too.  But Xicheng, I don't know, it's like too far west and too close to Haidian shittiness.  Dongsishitiao (dongcheng side) was kind of depressing and Nanlou (in Dongcheng) wasn't too bad except my place sucked.  It was cheap though, 2.5k.  My last place (secret location) was GOLDEN however.

Definitely Dongcheng.  I'm thinking about Yonghegong if I can find work in Donzhimen or something.  That would be a breeze to get to.  Honestly, I don't want to go back if I have to get on that fucking metro every day, or a bus, or even a taxi.  It's bike to work or FUCK IT.

I've actually seen some nice pingfang between Yonghegong and Donzhimen.  One was really good, but I was so pissy from looking at apartments all day that I let it slip.  

And I don't want one of those jobs that sucks up all your time either, like insisting you are there 8 hours a day and always tacking on extra classes.  Fuck that.  Teaching is intensive enough as it is, I don't need no 40 work week.  I'd rather take a 15k job with 20 classroom hours than a 20k one that sucks up my entire life.

I can live just *fine* in Beijing on 15k, with money to spare.  My last year there I lived the better part of off about 45k in savings without working at all, and that included paying my rent.

Of course I want to be a little higher on the hog than that, but my point is, I know how to do Beijing on the ultra cheap.  I'm way more concerned about commuting distance, lifestyle, and free time than I am with a salary number.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Re: I might just go back...

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:42 pm

dude, if you were raking in 15K, why did you leave in the first place?

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:04 am

I made 15k/month in Beijing.... Thought that was standard salary for teachers? farao

I also used to live at nanluguoxiang. Hutong life is very unpleasant in my experience.

Anyway, Sciency. You like Beijing now that you're in America. But then you return to Beijing only to discover that you hate it just as much.

That's the problem with being "bored".

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:02 am

I wasn't making 15k for my last year, I was making squat. Before that I was only making 12-13k for a number of years.

Prior to that I freelanced and my pay bounced around between 10-20K+ per month.

Like I said, it's no so much about salary to me as it is working hours and location.

I will need to make at least 15k to go back though, cuz I am realizing I have to get this student loan debt paid off so it doesn't keep haunting me until eternity.

What sucked toward the end was my financial situation. If I'm on a steady 15k in Beijing, I will be living pretty sweet, so that's the bare minimum to get me back there. And who knows? With my snazzy English degree as a qualification maybe I can get up to 25k+.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:12 am

eggraid wrote:
    I also used to live at nanluguoxiang. Hutong life is very unpleasant in my experience.

When did you live there??? Shocked

I was in Jingyang Hutong for a year and a half, 2013-14. I'm guessing you have been home a lot longer than that though.

My little pingfang was walled up nice and quiet, despite NLGX being a mere block away.

NLGX is a fkn zoo now. They built a subway station there intersecting lines 6 and 8. That street is wall-to-wall people now constantly. You know strolling one end of nanlou to the other, because what's more fun on a day off that immersing yourself in a dense, gawking sea of humanity?

That's what it was like by the time I left and moved south of Zhangzizhonglu, which was much less of a fkn zoo. The foreigners have all mostly fled NLGX for other, trendier hutongs. As usual though, the throngs of Chinese will soon follow.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:27 am

I just don't feel like I belong here. For one thing, it's a driving culture. Life centers around driving everywhere, which I've come to hate.

In Beijing I had two bikes, an e-bike and a nice 3-speed, and I was able to do everything on those. Bike to work and back. Bike to April Gourmet and back. Bike to the bar and crash on the way back. It's just *nicer* -except for the crashing part.

Besides with University of Florida or whatever, I can do graduate studies online. That's doable too if I'm in a reasonably priced hutong place and making 18k or whatever. Who knows? In a few years you motherfuckers may have to call me "Dr. Psioncy." Razz

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:16 am

eggraid wrote:I made 15k/month in Beijing.... Thought that was standard salary for teachers? farao

Pi lives in the bumfuck sticks of China, so he thinks 15k is phenomenal money.

In Beijing however, this puts you just slightly above dogshit in the economic hierarchy.

Anyway, glad to see you back Eggraid.  We were worried you'd been sodomized to death by muslim immigrants.

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 am