Laid Bare!

Just had a major fight with my boss

The Great Splendini

Just had a major fight with my boss

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 pm

I might be on the chopping block.

Well, for one thing I got paid late. That ticked me off so I was already in a bad mood.

Then I got a complaint from a student and the director told me I need to change my teaching.

I basically told her to fuck off.

It's the same fucking shit everywhere. They don't know what they're doing, but they're more than happy to blame you for everything.

Psioncy

Re: Just had a major fight with my boss

Post  Psioncy on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:50 pm

Not all students are going to be happy with your teaching.

For example, I've had mixed level classes that are no-win situations.

If I teach at the baby level, the higher students complain.

Teach at a higher level, the lower students complain.

Teach at the median, everyone complains.  Rolling Eyes

Now that said, I did once have a complaint that I was "angry" in class and it was true.

I was so ticked off at my lying asshole employer, that I was being pissy as hell in the classroom for about a week.

But still, it was a valid criticism of the quality of my services, so I rectified it.

Telling your boss to fuck off is never a good idea.  Chinese bosses will wait a year to fuck you back for something, smiling the whole time.

Try to smooth it over somehow if you want to keep your job.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:58 pm

I had one student complaint that was so fucking bogus I nearly lost my shit over it.

The girl was a Christian, and prosletized constantly during the class.

So, you know, when it was her time to talk I was fine with letting her go on about it, but when she kept dominating the entire class session with that shit, I asked her to put a plug in it.

Oh, and I said "No thank you" to her efforts to "save" me.

Then she lodged a complaint.  Rolling Eyes

It was bogus cuz I let my students talk about whatever they want.  I honestly don't care if they want to talk about Jeebers or Mohammed or Buddha or the fkn Spaghetti Monster. Cuz I'm not teaching them religion.  All I care about is getting them to speak, so whatever they're motivated to speak about is fine by me.

But I mean this bitch was persistently trying to convert me and the other students to her cornball jeebers sect.  That's not the purpose of the class, that's not what the other students paid to learn.  They paid to learn English, not hear the Good News for two hours, so that bullshit doesn't belong in the fucking classroom, plain and simple.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:21 pm

I didn't tell her to fuck off.

But I completely lost it. She caught me off guard. And she did it on purpose. Why would she call during my fucking lunch break? She couldn't send me an email and warn me there was an issue?

The thing is, what I get from this is that this problem is never going to solved.

This problem exists everywhere in China.

If you're looking to be appreciated for your work, it's never going to happen.

They don't take into account all the positive things you do. They just wait until you make a mistake and then pounce on you.

That's why I recommend if you go back to China, you should try to find a company run by Westerners. Even then, half of those are shit. But with Chinese bosses, you haven't got a chance.

They're going to drive you to drinking.

She just replied. She said "thank you for suggestions". That's the white velvet glove right there. She didn't address any of my issues, which means she doesn't care.

But you have to have some self-respect. I mean, if the place is run like a brothel and then they turn around and blame you, you have to flip them the finger.

And also, it's unethical to be teaching in these places. In most classes, I have 2 kids doing work. It's unethical to be working in these places.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:33 pm

In fact, fighting with bosses is futile. They'll just fire you.

They KNOW the schools are full of problems.

What I need to start doing is sending letters to the education commission. Even they might not care, but at least you make someone lose face.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 pm

when you're teaching, you see how the system is totally corrupt.

it's a vicious cycle.

these kids sleeping in classes get into companies and implement all the stupid corrupt policies later on.

so as a teacher, is it ethical just to keep taking part in this?

i need to get the fuck out of teaching in china is what i need to do.

i'd rather flip burgers somewhere. at least my conscience will be more clear.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Trust me it's just different bullshit back here. All we do in the west is dress it up better.

I almost prefer the Chinese bullshit. Because it's more blatant, I can actually navigate it better.

I've always maintained that all Chinese students should just major in cheating and corruption. Then their uni education would be meaningful.

Cuz the unis are a joke. I pisses me off that I have to get through all these meaningfully accredited courses to work there, but they can get work here with their horseshit degrees.

In China, the job is just about getting paid, and maybe actually teaching them something useful in spite of it all.

If they sleep in class report it. Then let them sleep when the management doesn't give a fuck.

They don't give a fuck, you shouldn't either. Problem solved.

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about going back to Beijing now. I don't like America either is the problem. Shit is just too fucked here. The economy sucks yet everything's expensive. There are so many broke-ass motherfuckers in Florida it's ridiculous.

Meth is the major industry now. They bust several meth labs a week around here.

Maybe I should apply for work at one. Like put on a tie and show up at the door of the meth house with my hair slicked back and resume in hand.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 pm

At least Beijing doesn't have a drug-scourge. (Outside of SLT and WDK that is)

This meth situation here is ridiculous out-of-control. Almost everyone I meet is talking about meth.

I have been good and haven't touched it. Never have in fact.

Cuz I already know I would be instantly addicted.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:34 pm

I bet if you go back and feign some remorse and positivity to your boss, you can smooth stuff out.

Just lie about everything.  Rail about how excellent the school and the students are.

Give the students A+s for nosepicking and sleeping in class.  

It's easy; just tell yourself it's sarcasm.  

You'll be getting a teacher of the year award in no time.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:52 pm

that sounds pretty bad there.

well are people broke because they're all junkies?

i think no matter how bad the economy is, there's a way to make a decent living.

i mean, technically i'm "broke" but i pay the bills. i'm not on the fucking street doing smack.

i have a decent apartment and decent food on the table.

if you're totally fucking broke with no way to better your life, you're the problem.

the schools, well we have different opinions. I think it's bad luck to willingly take part in corruption.

i think i need to seek out a better job.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:00 am

You're either taking part in the corruption or getting whipped in the ass by it.

That's one reason I prefer teaching adults and not grading them beyond oral evaluations.

I worked for one famous uni, and got punished for invigilating the exams.  I always caught students cheating, every single time.

One time they had even hacked into my password protected work computer and downloaded the exam.

I'd take cell-phones pics of them and their cheat sheets, give them a 0 on the exam, and fail them for the course.

The school absolutely did not like this.  Despite my hard physical evidence, they'd try to get me to sign off on a retest or just allowing the student to pass.

When I wouldn't go for it, they'd just go ahead and change the grade behind my back.  Oh, and my punishment for that was that I now got labeled a "problem" teacher with a "bad attitude."

Realizing I couldn't do squat about the corrupt system I was in, I solved all my problems by changing my strategy to adapt to it.

I taught in such a way that most benefited the students who came to class and paid attention.

Then I just made the exams really easy and graded them on a scale.

So the top students who attended and studied were still getting the A+s they deserved, and the rest were getting low 90s to high 80s, even if they were useless and retarded.

The next thing you know, I'm receiving a teaching award.   Rolling Eyes

The point is, I'm working within the corrupt system in such a way that I'm 1.  doing the motivated some real good in terms of improving their skills 2.  keeping myself paid and employed  3.  avoiding conflict with the dirtbags you always find in charge of anything in China.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Yeah, well the last job experience I had was strange.

Because although I got into conflict with them, they asked me to stay on. In fact, one guy practically begged me to stay on because he was genuinely interested in trying to fix the corrupt system and he thought I was helping them and had some useful insights that could help fix their corrupt system.

But it was total hell, so I left.

Obviously, if you want to keep your job you have to work within the corrupt system.

But I'd like to gravitate to work where I don't have to deal with all this garbage at some point. I ain't there yet.

But sometimes I envy these people who eke out a living with these hole in the wall noodle joints. They don't make much money, but at least they're not dealing will all sorts of insane politics all day long.

Back home, I used to go to a Greek restaurant like once a month. God Greek food is good. I envied those places that were started by Greek immigrants and then they passed down their restaurants to their children. I think those kids are really lucky as they don't have to go through all this bullshit that we have to go through in these companies.

That's why I was recommending that you get out of teaching. But I guess every other industry is plagued with bullshit corruption.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:41 pm

I have to start sending out CVs because they might fire me at the end of the semester and not tell me until the very last minute.

On the road again
    just can't wait to be on the road

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:01 pm

They can't fix it.  Even when they try to fix it, the anti-corruption effort gets all corrupted.

That's a big cash cow in the chinese gov racket.  Lots of sweet, fat hongbaos trading hands with all that anti-corruption gravy.

Wish I had me a piece of that pie.  

Oh, and fuck yeah, authentic greek food rocks.  In college I got turned onto this little hole-in-wall greek restaurant run solely by the greek owner, and I found myself going back constantly.

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 pm