Laid Bare!

have you considered taiwan?

The Great Splendini

have you considered taiwan?

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 pm

it might be less corrupt than the schools in beijing.

also, salaries seem quite good.

never been there, though.

i applied to a few places in taiwan in the past, but never heard back.

Psioncy

Re: have you considered taiwan?

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Oh yeah, I've been looking into it.  There's a smattering of ads on ESLcafe, but I had more luck googling up "Taiwan english teaching jobs" which referred me to taiwan specific sites with all kinds of jobs listed.

I mean, they speak putonghua there, yeah?

That's part of it for me.  I can actually speak some chinese. I went over the HSK vocab for the various levels and knew every single word for the first three levels.  After that I started getting into a bunch of new terms, but still it's a pretty solid foundation that took me years to acquire (cuz I'm dumb with languages). So at least I can take care of bidness in a Chinese speaking country. If go to Cambodia, Thailand, Japan or whatever I'll be starting from scratch with their wack-a-doo scooby-doo talk.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:09 pm

learning the local language is over-rated and irrelevant to finding a decent job.

try to research the school if you can.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Yeah, the job is more important and plenty of foreigners get by ok without learning the language at all.  But really it is very, very useful for a number of things:

1. Getting and giving directions.
    2. Finding a good apartment.
    3. Shopping.
    4. Ordering food at restaurants or over the phone.
    5. Socializing with locals.
    6. Dealing with neighbors and repairmen

It's also useful in the classroom, cuz they really don't know some common everyday words, and just giving them the chinese is a lot faster and easier than drawing a picture or going into a goofy pantomime routine.

And it's just feel less stressed knowing that I can get basic stuff done, like buy an IP card or get my hair cut or book a ticket or get my bike repaired, without any major communication failures.  Sometimes thing get complicated and it turns into a slog cuz they start throwing some new words at me, but with some patience I can usually sort it out.

I tried to study some Cambodian, and it's complicated as fuck!  They've got like 60 something letters in their alphabet, which include a ton of vowels which "orbit" the consonants.  It's all based off sanskrit and shit, and it just turns my brain to mush trying to get going on it.  So rather than strain my cortex half-assing yet another language, I'd prefer to keep working up my mandarin, which I'm at least functional in already.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:18 pm

yeah, learning the language is useful for SOME of the reasons you mention.

but also, seriously and NORMAL person just gets married after living here for a while.

I've had so many fucking problems with jobs that I never wanted to settle down. Why the fuck would i want to settle down when I can barely hold down a decent job?

Also, even all situations you mention can be handled by calling someone on your fucking phone when you need help translating. Or paying someone to do tasks for you. Christ, students will do shit for free most of the time. Or very little money.

Learning a skill that 1 billion other people have has never appealed to me. Everyone around you is your dictionary.

Now, here's the thing. There are 2 cases where I think it's better NOT to speak:

1 - Interacting with locals. Well, in some cases I wish I could interact with them. But the thing is most people who don't speak English are not University educated and the conversations will be just about simple things. And they'll soon start asking you a bunch of personal questions. And I prefer to be private and not talk too much about myself because you can't really trust people here.

2 - The classroom. Yeah, strangely enough my boss called me up and part of the spiel was that the kids can't follow what I'm doing and she said "you don't speak Chinese". Sorry, but almost every kid has a smart phone these days. If they don't, they can borrow one from another student. Instant access to an online dictionary at your fingertips. Yeah, you can translate for them, but is your Chinese ever going to be at their level of English that they're studying? You know 50 000 words in Chinese? How long did that take you to learn? 15 years?

Fuck it. Well, if I get married and find a good career path that's solid and long-term and really really decide to stay for the long haul, then YEAH I'll fucking learn.

But not with these shitty dead end jobs I keep getting.

I always have one fucking foot out the door every year.

Rant over.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:36 pm

There are definitely some advantages to NOT knowing the language too.

I'm functional, but not fluent.  So if it's their crap english vs my crappy chinese, I always end up having to do it in Chinese and getting a huge headache over it.  Whereas if you don't speak a word, they have no other choice but to use their crap English to communicate with you.

Also, the more Chinese you know the worse the students you'll get.  When I first started I could barely rub two words together, and my school was giving me all the high level classes.  Meanwhile my coworker who was way more experienced at teaching and was fluent in Chinese got stuck with all the low level retard classes... much to his chagrin.

Dude, I knew a guy who had lived there for almost as long as I had.  He asked me how much street sandwich I bought cost and I told him "Wu kuai."  And he got all pissed and told me to speak English!

So don't feel bad, I'm sure you at least know what wu kuai means.  Jesus!  How can he ever buy anything without knowing that?  12 years in China and he's still just handing people whatever cash he's got in pocket to let the vendor sort it out cuz he can't understand it when they tell him the price?  Razz

That's so funny.  I mean can you imagine living in America for 12 years and not understanding someone when they tell you "five dollars?"  OMG.

Yeah some of these guys are really reliant on GFs/Wives to handle everything.  I was kinda like that the first 4-5 years, but then I got thrown into the deep end all on my own.

I came to find out her services were completely overrated.  The added hassle of figuring it out on my own minus all the additional bullshit problems she created worked out to making life 10x easier.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:44 pm

I bet in Taiwan or HK you can get by in English a lot better.

One time I got these HK students placed into one of my adult classes. They were a couple of young guys, and they were pretty cool.  They wanted to talk about Metallica and action movies and shit like that.  When I talked them on my smoke break they were like "WTF is wrong with these other students?"

I just shrugged and was like "You're Chinese, you tell me."

Then they railed on about what idiots mainlanders were the remainder of the break.  I fkn LOLed and nodded in agreement the whole time.

They dropped the class the same day cuz they said they couldn't stand being stuck in there with such retarded classmates. lol!

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:48 pm

i know numbers. jesus.

but if a fucking plumber comes over, i'm not going to bother to learn how to say 'the toilet is blocked'.

why? because it happens once a year and you can easily just ask anyone.

I have low-level ass shit students. I ain't fucking translating shit for them. That's what dictionaries are for. I'm not a dictionary. I don't speak much and I write simple instructions on the board.

And there's always a couple of students who understand what to do. They can translate for you.

There is no deep end. If you need a translator, just pay a student to help you.

Honestly, there are just as many reasons NOT to learn Chinese as there is to learn.

I haven't made any friends here. I don't trust anyone. I don't like talking to anyone in either English OR Chinese. I do my job and stay in my apartment most of the time.

Not speaking English in the US is not the same because here a lot more people speak English.

I mean, if you're working in a school teaching English, all the staff and most of the students speak some English. So you kind of live in that bubble. It's not the same.

And also, practically all the girls I've met wanted to move out of here.

Unless I get married to a girl who wants to stay here and I decide to stay because I have above average work, I ain't learning shit.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:56 pm

I tried making friends with a chinese guy at the last place i worked.

after a couple times having dinner, he started asking for help.

buying me drinks.

not sure exactly what he wanted. maybe borrow a large amount of money?

he must have thought i was loaded just based on where i come from.

i got the hell out of there. these people want to use you and they'll ruin your life the first chance they get.

i honestly think that NOT being able to speak is better.

but this guy spoke English anyway.

but seriously, you only need Chinese for mundane shit which you can easily pay someone to help you with.

out of courtesy to the locals though, i would learn more.

but give me a decent job first.

not with these dead-end jobs.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Oh yeah, don't think I was giving you shit for it. I know lots of guys that don't learn it and do just dandy.

Personally, I find it extremely useful cuz I'm a hutong-dwelling hermit without anyone to help me out ever.

And hutong people don't speak English. I can only think of one neighbor that did.

Almost none of my neighbors spoke a word -except of course the kids. One place I was scared to go sit outside cuz my neighbors would grab their kids and shove them at me for free English practice. Like that's how I enjoy spending my leisure time. Rolling Eyes

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:52 pm

there's pros and cons.

i hate it when taxi drivers try to hit me up for a conversation.

all you're ever going to get from this shit is fucking ending up telling them where you work, why you're in china, where you're from.

i don't even like having conversations with native English speakers half the time.

language in general is over-rated.

we should back to grunting.

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 am