Laid Bare!

Cult test:

Psioncy

Cult test:

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm finding this site so fascinating I can't stop reading it.  (And I have other stuff I really should be studying)

I'm pretty convinced AA is a cult now, because it applies a lot of these principles:  sinner, guilt, miracles, positive reinforcement for agreeing with the doctrine/negative reinforcement for critical thinking, canned answers to EVERYTHING.  Language control,  all sorts of stuff on this list.

This list is meant to help identify cults, but it would also make a great roadmap to creating one.  drunken (BTW:  All items on the list are extensively expanded after the first ten by clicking on the links)

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult_q0.html#cq_guru_right

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Re: Cult test:

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:57 pm

yeah, i think AA is a cult from what i've heard.

also, keep in mind that there is no free lunch.

99 times out of 100 if some organization is out there "helping" people for free, it's because they have a hidden agenda.

christianity is also a cult.

i've been online a lot on christian blogs. just to fuck with them.

if you criticize, you'll get followers threatening you, or at least saying stuff like "I got your back". ie they'll protect the cult leader.

and the cult leader tells you "you're a sinner. you have to repent".

YOU are always wrong and he is always right.

and they attack each other. the christian leaders always attack other guys. He's not following the true word of God. He's of the devil. he'll burn in hell. you'll burn in hell if you follow him. follow me.

crazy shit man

but people are all after power and this is one way to get power.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 am

Yeah, it's cult. That being said though, I don't think it's the worst thing if it works for someone.

But you can't question their absolutes. I just got back from a meeting, where I had an argument with a guy.

He didn't like me saying that the doctrine works for some people but not others.

That's a proven fact. Most people don't stay in AA, but some do. And he argued that the people at the meeting were all sober.

And I said yeah, sure, the ones that are here.

And he said "and the ones that are not here are not sober cuz they are not here!"

Then he accused me of being irrational, and I told him that by definition he was the irrational one.

Rational comes from the word ratio, or fraction. What offended him was my use of the word "some," because this guy is bigtime 25 years or whatever indoctrinated in AA and speaks in fkn absolutes.

Insisting that AA works 100% of the time.

With the caveat that the program never fails anyone, it's just that people fail the program. Rolling Eyes

Then he went on for 15 minutes in the meeting about how AA works 100% of the time. Which is utter horseshit!

The "old timers" often go on about all the people who used to come to AA and then went out again drank themselves to death.

AA is a fkn cult, I'm convinced of it now. The first step is to admit you are are powerless over alcohol.

And even in my years of struggling with it in China, I already believed this AA perpetuated myth. And it's wrong, step one is just flat-out fucking wrong. And believing it just sets me up to fail, because I believe I am powerless and I can't.

The next step is to find God, and then the next is to get him to use his magic powers to relieve your compulsion for alcohol.

Which is more horsehit!

The entire message is that I am powerless to control my drinking and that only God can do it for me.

But the exact opposite is the truth. I haven't had a drink for over a week now. And before that I was three weeks. I *controlled* it.

In AA, like most everything involving God, you have to give all the credit to God and AA if you keep your drinking under wraps for any lenghth of time like it's some kind of bloody miracle. And if you fuck up and drink, well, that's all your fault for not following God or AA with the right amount of effort/intention/whatever.

I might still go to the meetings, cuz they're even more interesting now that I'm viewing them like a cult.... and I don't really have anything better to do anyway.

But for me personally, I'm going with RR, rational recovery, which tells you that you DO have the power to quit, and explains how your addiction really works without needing to bring God or spirituality into the equation at all.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:11 pm

I was on ESL job boards and check out this thread. The guy is asking if a Japanese chain school is a cult.

Is AEON a cult?
    http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=104706&sid=6dad9a3c2a593df6bb1470f571ffec44
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:59 am

I worked for one of the largest schools in Beijing that absolutely was a cult.  I mean, it fit the definition to a T.

I don't want to say more, but I'm sure anyone else who is working or has worked there for any length of time knows exactly which school I'm talking about.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:54 am

EF?

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:26 am

Nah, I never worked for them. They had a really bad rep in the beginning, but I hear nowadays EF is not so bad... comparatively speaking.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:12 am

Ok, I'm starting a new cult.  It's pretty awesome, better than Mormons.  Mormons give you a planet to rule over after you die, but The Cult of Psioncy will literally make you GOD of an infinite number of infinite universes!

I will show you the path... IF YOU ARE OPEN.  If you are not open to new thinking and insist on clinging to your old, shitty retard beliefs then sorry charlie, no universes for you.  Sad

What you have to understand is that your soul is dripping with sinful karma, and every critical thought you have about my words is a symptom of that.  Once your karma is relieved your mind will know wisdom.  Until then, you better just think and do what I tell you to fkn think and do!

Nothing will inhibit your spiritual progress like attachment to money.  Therefore, you will sign all your money and assets over to me.  Your filthy, lustful guttermind is the second major impediment, hence, no nooky for you until you have enlightened beyond this primal urge.  As I have already conquered it, I will be boinking your GFs in the interim.  This is the will of the cosmos.

Don't worry, as soon as I tell you to drink the cyanide and you do it, you will inherit infinite money and poontang.  Right after you're dead.  I superduper *promise* Twisted Evil

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:12 am

As a novitiate in the cult of Psioncy, you will be granted the title of "doucheface."  This may seem derogatory at the outset, but will you come to realize that it is truly in your best interest, as it takes the steam out of your filthy, debilitating self-esteem (also known as sinful, sinful pride!).  You should be GRATEFUL to be referred to as doucheface, and constantly express that gratitude.  Remember that humiliation is the key to self-discovery and spiritual awakening.  

As a Doucheface, you will need to reflect heavily on your sins with the proper humility to have any hope of overcoming them.  Therefore, douchefaces will be expected to bring a loaf of WonderBread to each cult meeting.  Members of higher degrees will form a circle around the doucheface and defecate onto a slice of WonderBread, which shall then be compressed beneath another slice of WonderBread to form a "shit sandwich."  The doucheface (you) will consume the shit-sandwich as you reflect on your filthy sinful nature.  To aid in your humility the other members will mock and ridicule while you do so.  Failure to express gratitude and politely request another shit-sandwich after you have finished the first is considered a sign of moral failure, which will, in turn, earn you more shit-sandwiches.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 am

The modern-day cult is Youtube.

Some guys on there have channels with 250 000 subscribers.

Christians, conspiracy guys mostly.

You need to have some kind of mystically-related theme, something occult, religious, or something.

You can't start a cult with a cooking channel.

But yeah, it's crazy shit.

Think about it. You upload a video on Youtube practically every single day and 250K people are clinging to your every word.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 pm

You're right.  I should be recruiting them with all the awesome sounding mystical make-believe stuff at the outset, then bait and switch them to the shit-sandwiches *after* they're hooked.  Starting with the shit-sandwiches is poor salesmanship.

Clearly, I still have a long ways to go as a charlatan Sad

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:40 pm

That's right. You suck ass because you give the game away too soon.

Try taking psychology 101.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Sciency, your future is bleak.

Only the Flying Spaghetti Monster can save you.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:07 am

I'm more information based in my web surfing. I won't just sit there and listen to some kook ramble on youtube, unless there's some meat and potatoes in it.

But you're right, there are youtube channels and blogs with huge followings.

A lot of the writing gigs I look at are people with blogs hiring ghostwriters to provide more content to keep the $ flowing.

It's hard to imagine. A site like this doesn't make any money, but we have an extremely niche readership.

Once you've got tens or hundreds of thousands of people, the advertisers will start coming at you for endorsements, which can turn into serious money.

It's not just ad-clicks either. It could be something as simple as mentioning how you were drinking a Pepsi at the sports event you are blogging about.

Look at TBJ with their "featured stories" about 5-Star hotels, and their "articles" about hip-new establishments. Cha-ching cha-ching!

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:04 am

yeah well one guy on youtube has 250K subscribers and apparently he makes over 100K USD a year from ads (and donations).

but most of what he says is bullshit.

if you're going to crank out a video a day, it's hard to not put out a bunch of bullshit. no one human being has that much intelligent thoughts on his mind.

i always wondered about some blogs, how they continuously crank out stuff.

i thought about doing a blog or youtube channel, but i would probably create 6 months worth of content in advance.

coz if you get behind and stop posting, the blog or channel will die down.

the trick is to keep cranking stuff out with fresh material.

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:39 pm