Laid Bare!

Holy shit, man

The Great Splendini

Holy shit, man

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Back 'home' was a fucking nightmare.

Emotional blackmail GALORE.

Like what the fuck you doin' in China, you stupid fucking asshole?

Especially with aging parents?

Are you Hitler? How the fuck can you be in a foreign land at this time?

And not only that....

But the whole "you're a fucking loser" spiel was laid on me real hard.

I literally got the "I feel sorry for you" line.

Can you believe the nerve of these motherfuckers?

And you know what?

Sad part is they're fucking RIGHT!

HA HA HA.

But guess what?

I ain't got 6 million fucking OPTIONS.

Spielberg ain't returning my calls.

Neither is Steve Jobs.

Neither is Angelina Jolie.

I ain't no spring chicken.

And China has a fucking JOB waiting for me.

So fuck all you sons o' bitches who said I'd never make it.

Coz I got my laptop and my bottomless cup o' joe and my internet and my gee-tar.

And I'm gonna make her fuckin' SQUEAL.

Never mind sing.

Psioncy

Re: Holy shit, man

Post  Psioncy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:32 am

WTF?  Canadians are assholes  Shocked

If my family members talked to me that way, I would psychically eviscerate them.

Yeah, big losers us expats, but guess what?  We score lots of hot asian poon.

And isn't that better than some soul-sucking mortgage?

Once I get earning I'm gonna do the small house thing, probably in Maine so I've got someplace to retire eventually.  Home depot sells these massive sheds/homes for 8k USD.  So I figure I'll go piecemeal.  1.  Get the land  2.  well/septic/slab  3.  Cabin  4.  flooring, insulation, electric, plumbing.  And that can all be done remotely.  Then I'll have a nice home, all paid for, for around $20,000.  And because it's so cheap, property taxes will be minimal. Cheap to heat, cheap to maintain. All my income can to other, far awesomer things than paying excessive bills and interest.

In fact, I've got a piece of land I can have here in Florida, but I don't want to live here.  Florida fkn sucks.  Even people who are born and raised here bitch about the shittiness.  I need to live somewhere that has seasons.  Toprics/subtropics just aren't for me.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

Man, it's like the fucking Twilight Zone.

These people are all married with SUVs and homes mostly paid off.

And me? Squat. Living week to week.

Yeah, I'm looking into low-budget homes myself. At this stage of the game, a 150K home ain't gonna happen for me. But what you're describing sounds maybe like a fucking SHED, not a home.

I think you need at least 50K for a decent place to live.

I'm thinking in the woods though. If you're not working, no point in living in the city.

Subtropics are great. Well, it gets annoyingly hot in the summer, but you just get the hell out in the summer. And the other 8 months are perfect weather. I'm getting the hell out of cold climates if I can help it.

My dream is to retire in South of Europe, not back home where there's like 3 fucking months of nice weather. Fuck that shit.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

Man, it's like the fucking Twilight Zone.

These people are all married with SUVs and homes mostly paid off.

And me? Squat. Living week to week.

Yeah, I'm looking into low-budget homes myself. At this stage of the game, a 150K home ain't gonna happen for me. But what you're describing sounds maybe like a fucking SHED, not a home.

I think you need at least 50K for a decent place to live.

I'm thinking in the woods though. If you're not working, no point in living in the city.

Subtropics are great. Well, it gets annoyingly hot in the summer, but you just get the hell out in the summer. And the other 8 months are perfect weather. I'm getting the hell out of cold climates if I can help it.

My dream is to retire in South of Europe, not back home where there's like 3 fucking months of nice weather. Fuck that shit.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:35 am

What's wrong with a shed home?  Sure you could stick build cheaper if you know what you're doing, but these puppies come all sided and painted with roof shingles, doors, stairs, and windows  + they install it for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Look at that first shed.  You get 200 square feet of shelter for $2,500.  Want more, ok... get 400 for $4000 USD.  You can go as big as you want.  Two story?  Loft?  Got 'em.

Once you have insulation, drywall, flooring, and systems added it is no longer a shed.  It's a right proper home.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:55 am

Septic tank 325 gal, plastic BRAND NEW  $369.

Just get a backhoe and drop that puppy in.  I'm gonna have my kitchen, washing machine, and bathroom all in the same corner of the house so there aren't pipes and drains running all over the fkn place.  All exposed plumbing too.  Same with electrics, run the wiring OUTSIDE the walls encased in PVC or something.  All nice and simple like.  And easy to get at when maintenance is required.

For heat I would LOVE to go with a rocket mass heater, cuz I've read about them and they're absolutely awesome.  However, I don't know if it's in me to build one, so I might just go with propane or something.  Propane is abundant and simple, and I can also use it for my oven.  If the house is well insulated, I should be able to get through a Maine winter without getting sunk in heating fuel costs, and I really don't feel like dealing with wood because wood is CONSTANT work.  Who wants to think about and labor over their heating all the time like that?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:11 am

yeah, that looks like the cheapest option available.

i'm not sure what to do about housing.

as long as you're teaching abroad, apartment subsidies pay for rent. so what's the point of getting anything?

for retirement? that's still a long time away.

i'll worry about it later.

i have a nice apartment and i'm ok.

it's when you get hitched. women are always pushing you to keep up with the joneses.

fuck it. just stay single and don't buy anything.

property is a kind of prison by the way.

you're trapped there.

renting lets you pick up and and leave whenever you want.

which is what i've been doing all my life.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 am

But that's the whole point:  you're not as tied down with this kind of property. It's all bought and paid for. You invested less and will always have it.  If you want to up and leave you can, it's just a matter of keeping up with the very low property taxes while you're abroad.  Where mine'll be located it'll be like a few hundred bucks annually.  

Also, you can rent it while you're gone to cover that and supplement your overseas income.

I just want to have some place I can retreat to... and retire in when the time comes.  I don't plan to live there in any permanent sense for a long time.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

Keep working abroad.

Put up a place back home that I can rent out.

Go back home 2 months a year and stay in it, but rent it out the rest of the year.

Or rent it out 12 months and move back only in retirement.

Well, but you have to calculate the rental yields. How much can you rent it out for?

And are many people willing to stay in one of these things?

Is it worth borrowing from a bank to buy something a little more upscale that may require 5 years to pay off but at least the rental yields would be higher?

I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Actually, if the rents are high enough, it can save your ass if you're out of work by having some income coming in.

Look into it and get back to me, ol chap.

You do the fucking work.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:36 pm

What I mean is it might just be better to buy a fucking condo.

And rent it out.

The investment will by much higher, but so will the rents.

Like a 70K condo? Put down 20K? And then the rents pay off the mortgage?

I don't know. I haven't crunched the numbers.

Most people will not want to rent out this weird shit.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:47 pm

Take a look at this shit, man.

These are made from shipping containers.

If you look down at number 2, it says the guy bought the shipping container for 1000 dollars! Shit, that's nothing. But I'm sure he put a lot of money into it. It's nicer than most normal homes. But the thing is, you could probably start with very little and then just gradually add stuff.

Do you have the balls to actually live in one of these motherfuckers?

It has to be in the woods somewhere. Which I actually prefer to the city anyway.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Did they offer any help then? Like, you can stay in our house while you look for work? Or, we know this place you can stay at: save up some money in china and come back.

Scrap the idea with a shed. Just rent a place when you decide to go back for a visit. Dont know how you're gonna solve shit when you're 80. Save up some money and retire on a beach in phillipines? Or south-america? Not sure if thats going to cover hospital bills or someone to lookafger you when youre 85. You could always rent someone though.

Anyway. If thats true what they said, then thats shit parenting in my book.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm

If I'm broke when I'm old, well suicide is always an option.

But actually, I'm hoping for the opposite scenario. I hope to still be working at 85. Obviously not teaching in China, but doing something.

I don't really believe in retirement. People watch tv all day long and have nothing to occupy themselves with.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:13 pm

eggraid wrote:Did they offer any help then? Like, you can stay in our house while you look for work? Or, we know this place you can stay at: save up some money in china and come back.

Scrap the idea with a shed. Just rent a place when you decide to go back for a visit. Dont know how you're gonna solve shit when you're 80. Save up some money and retire on a beach in phillipines? Or south-america? Not sure if thats going to cover hospital bills or someone to lookafger you when youre 85. You could always rent someone though.

Anyway. If thats true what they said, then thats shit parenting in my book.

You're talking to me?

Yeah, I can stay with my folks until I find work when I go back.

Problem is I start to get emotionally sick living with my folks. They're difficult to deal with and I need my space. And there's a difficult history between me and my folks. We've been through some tough times, so living there makes it all resurface again. It's not the best option, even though I may have no choice at some point.

I'm getting old. I should have sorted out my financial issues a long time ago, but I'm going in the opposite direction. The past few years things have been getting worse. I gotta turn this sinking ship around or I'm totally fucked.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Yeah, that's why you get yourself a small house in an area where you can also find employment. All your problems solved right there.

It's disturbing how many adults are living with their parents in the US now. I was wicked embarrassed to be living at my mom's place last year, but what I found out is that it's become such common practice in Obummer's America the stigma is virtually gone.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm

yeah, maybe more people need to start looking into alternative types of homes.

just read an article. the guy lives in an RV that costs 16K. if you can get over the ego thing, it's not such a bad idea.

i always thought the homes were over-priced anyway.

you have to be chained to a desk 40 hours a week for life to pay off these things.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:40 pm

but your problem isn't necessarily solved because jobs for life don't exist anymore.

you'd have to move to a fairly big city where there's a large pool of jobs to choose from.

but i've moved around a lot and lived in so many different places that i really can't see myself buying anything anywhere.

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm