Laid Bare!

Going to Thailand!

Psioncy

Going to Thailand!

Post  Psioncy on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:24 pm

I'm thinking to take the CELTA program in Bangkok, cuz it's the cheapest out there and plus I've always wanted to visit Thailand.

Not for a while yet, probably later this summer after I get my diploma.  

What I'm reading is pretty encouraging, particularly with the low food and room costs in Thailand.  So what I'm thinking about doing since Thai tourist visas are 2 months is booking my return ticket for 2 months, doing the program my first then snagging a job in Thailand or Cambodia for a year.

Still quite a ways off, but I'm super fkn psyched!  I can't get out of here fast enough.

You know I know owe the gdm US government $700 cuz I didn't have health insurance in 2015?  That's right, because I was too poor to get insurance I now have to pay a fkn penalty.  Thanks Obummer, way to tax ppl for being poor, you fucking piece of fucking shit!  monkey

Just get me the F out of here already, and back third world asian pussytown where I belong.  cheers

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Re: Going to Thailand!

Post  Psioncy on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Fuck it, I might just stay in Thailand. I was kinda intent on Hong Kong, but I'll probably like Bangkok better. The low cost of living is a major, major plus. Not to mention culture, nightlife, and the like. Sounds pretty sweet.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:00 am

many salaries in thailand are not that great.

but thailand is great.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Yeah but the cost of living is low, and like you say it's a great country.  Not so restrictive like China.

I was quite surprised to check the job listings for Cambodia too.  It's not like China at all, all adverts for English teachers.  They needed restaurant managers, cooks, administrators of all kinds, IT people, etc.

I don't know, it's still a ways off yet.  Hong Kong is still tempting because of the higher salaries (better than Beijing!).  So who knows, maybe I'll get work lined up there before I go.

But the fact that you can rent an apartment for next to nothing in Thailand and Cambodia is a huge plus.  And eating local food is cheap.  In Beijing the local food *used* to be cheap, but by the time I left it was almost cheaper to shop for western groceries from (R) April Gourmet or Jenny Lous than it was to buy furry dognuts and all the other disgusting crap at the Chinese supermarket.  In fact, I mostly just bought veggies from local vendors and meat from the muslim vendors to make hot-pot.  I lived on that stuff almost exclusively.

Also English teachers have a stigma in the local dating scene there now.  I was rejected by women purely on these grounds more than once.  I get the sense that in SE asia the poon isn't so uptight.  Those Thai women are beautiful too, much better looking than flips overall.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As long as you can discern which ones have dongs and which don't.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Another cool thing I was reading about those countries is that you can buy an apartment, and they're affordable, even in downtown Bangkok, something like 15k USD for a small older one.  Even cheaper in Cambodia.

How cool would that be?  You could actually fix it up and own nice things!  As opposed to living out out of an oversized travel bag like I did in Beijing.  I could move all my possessions in a single cab ride.  I had to do it like that, cuz I was moving every fkn year due to the succession of scumbag landlords I drew.  (As the odds favor.)

I mean I don't need anything opulent, but I wouldn't mind having nice furniture, kitchenwares, decor etc.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:27 am

SEasia is definately more relxed and laidback than beijing. Id say that beijing is rigid. China has too much red tape these days too. Guangdong still got some vibes though.
    Id go with hong kong for the money, health care etc, reliability etc. You can akways go to bangkok over weekends and holidays
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:04 pm

You're right on the mark about Beijing.  The expat scene used to have a cool vibe, but that's long, long gone now.  It's restrictive, xenophobic, and all-around shitty.  I'm still thinking Hong Kong actually, for the pay, but my problem is money.  Unless I get some unexpected payday before I set off for Bangkok, I'm not gonna be able to afford start-up costs in pricey Hong Kong.  Thailand and (especially) Cambodia have very low costs for food and accommodation.  If I can make $2000 USD in those places, it will really be more than $3000 USD in Hong Kong.  Not saying I can pull down two grande there (and some Hong Kong jobs pay well over three -though all HK jobs are also harder to come by.)   Anyway, I could do a year in SE Asia and see what it's like.  The fact that you can buy property (on the cheap) is also really appealing, so I'll just play it by ear.  If I'm not earning and living to my satisfaction, I'll save up for relocating to HK during that year.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Thailand has a lot of things going for it.

But just like China, once you get there you'll start to see all the problems with the country.

I applied to Thailand but the working hours were ridiculous for what they were offering.

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:58 pm