Laid Bare!

Hateful Eight / Stanford Prison Experiment

The Great Splendini

Hateful Eight / Stanford Prison Experiment

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:38 am

Hateful Eight - characters seemed a bit cartoonish. tarantino is a strange director

Stanford Prison Experiment - based on a real experiment. results don't surprise me. given the opportunity, human beings can get pretty evil real quick. but here's the thing. how come the guys who were prisoners in the experiment didn't beat the crap out of the prison guards when the experiment was over? that's the part that doesn't make sense. so the experiment was over and nothing happened after? i have a hard time believing that. but the movie is worth a watch.
    Psioncy

Re: Hateful Eight / Stanford Prison Experiment

Post  Psioncy on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 am

The Hateful 8 was utter garbage.

Haven't seen Stanford Prison Experiment, but it's on download now.  I've heard it referenced a gazillion times over the years, so I already get the jist of it.  Leads to stuff like Abu Ghraib.

Let's face it though.  They march prisoners around naked, but ISIS fucking saws heads off with a hacksaw.  Gotta keep some perspective is all I'm saying.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:54 am

I wasn't quite sure what to make of Hateful Eight.

Much of the dialogue seems like total meaningless filler.

I'm still not even sure what the point of the film was. Just a bunch of cowboys trying to outsmart each other?

Tarantino is a trickster. He can package garbage and make it look slick better than anyone.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:10 am

I watched the Stanford Prison Experiment last night.

I found it... delightfully believable.

I mean, it *seems* hard to believe, but then again it really did happen.  Shocked

If they did that in this day and age, Stanford would be in for billions of dollars in lawsuits.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:22 am

I watched a really good BBC documentary the other day, cuz I looked for Bangkok movies on kickass.torrentz on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Turned up "The Bangkok Hilton."

But it ain't the hilton, it's a prison for drug traffickers.

The king of thailand decreed he would eradicate drugs in thailand, so all these british dudes are stuck there in this prison cuz their extradition treaties aren't the same as say... Canada and America.

Very, very interesting. Give it a watch.

Also remind me never to do any drugs while I am in Thailand. Shocked

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:20 pm

And I heard the prisons in Thailand are bad.

Upon further reflection, I believe the Stanford Prison Experiment isn't true.

It never happened at all or it didn't happen as it was presented.

By the way, before I forget, the book is called "The Lucifer Effect". But not sure why.

Anyway, here's my theories as to why it's bullshit:
    1 - some of the prisoners would get revenge on the guards after the experiment
    2 - some of the prisoners would have complained about post-tramautic stress. maybe they covered it up to avoid lawsuits?
    3 - the guards were very quick to turn evil. i suspect that in the real world it would be a much more gradual process. it seemed faked to me.
    4 - i think SOME human beings have the potential and proclivity to behave evil given the opportunity, but the likelihood of ALL the guards agreeing to behave evil seems unlikely. if the experiment were real, at least a couple of the guards would have opposed the ones getting out of hand.
    5 - the lines were blurred between a real prison and an experiment. why were the prisoners so quick to give in to the fact that they were truly trapped there as though it were a real prison and had to tolerate that shit? i know the film had some scenes that addressed this, but i still find it hard to believe. one guy asked to leave and they let him leave and the other guys didn't try hard to do the same to get out? That part truly didn't make any sense.

So I think this is a psyop of some kind to perpetuate the false notion that humans are all fucking evil given the chance.

And of course America was involved in torture prisons, so this experiment conveniently backs up that humans will act evil in this situation when in fact:
    1 - Maybe the Govt is pure fucking evil
    2 - But not all humans are

So to conclude my Phd:
    Fuck the Stanford Prison Experiment

I don't buy it.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Psioncy wrote:I watched a really good BBC documentary the other day, cuz I looked for Bangkok movies on kickass.torrentz   on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Turned up "The Bangkok Hilton."

But it ain't the hilton, it's a prison for drug traffickers.

The king of thailand decreed he would eradicate drugs in thailand, so all these british dudes are stuck there in this prison cuz their extradition treaties aren't the same as say... Canada and America.

Very, very interesting.  Give it a watch.

Also remind me never to do any drugs while I am in Thailand.  Shocked

Thing is though, I don't trust "documentaries" as much as I used to.

I think people make shit up and exaggerate because sensationalism sells.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:13 pm

This theory is probably more plausible than mine, but it still doesn't explain why none of the prisoners got revenge on the guards.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

#3. Giving Someone Power Doesn't Immediately Turn Them into a Sadist

The Theory:

It's one of the most famous experiments ever conducted, and if you've had a psychology class, you've heard about it: the Stanford prison experiment. In 1971, a Stanford psychology professor wanted to test his pet theory that people are essentially dicks, so he set up an experiment. Philip Zimbardo asked volunteer undergraduate students to play the parts of inmates and guards in a fake prison in the college basement. To the professor's horror, what started as a fun little project devolved into an Abu Ghraib shitstorm of abuse.

What was supposed to be a two-week experiment got shut down in six days when students went from regular kids at a university to torturers and victims. The guards withheld food from their prisoners, forced them to pee and poop in buckets, stripped them naked for punishment, and completely forgot that the people on the other side of the bars were going to be sharing cafeteria tables with them in a few weeks.

Naturally, Zimbardo and everyone who was unfortunate enough to see the de-evolution of humanity came to the same conclusion: Give any random person power over another, and he immediately turns into a sadistic douche.

The Bullshit:

There was one fatal flaw in the Stanford prison experiment: The guy in charge was stage directing the whole thing. Zimbardo didn't step back and watch the events unfold as an observer; he played the part of head guard, even going so far as using these totally scientifically unbiased instructions to his student guards: "In general, what all this should create in them is a sense of powerlessness. We have total power in the situation. They have none."

And remember, Zimbardo wasn't just the researcher/fake guard/sadistic mastermind of the experiment; he was a teacher, therefore an authority figure. There was pressure on students to please the researcher -- they were getting paid $15 a day for the experiment, and the department had clearly spent a lot of money building the fake prison. They were acting like sadistic guards because they wanted to please, not because their mock professional role emboldened them to do so. They knew what they were there to do. Oh, and a former San Quentin prisoner who served as a consultant on the experiment later admitted to feeding Zimbardo and his students suggestions on how to abuse their prisoners. So much for assuming decent, upstanding people spontaneously invented ways to be abusive.

Also, you have to understand the context. This was the summer of 1971, a time of infamous clashes between protesters and authority figures (oddly enough, the riots in San Quentin and Attica prisons happened right after the experiment), including riots at Stanford that had to be broken up with tear-gas. When these students responded to a request to help a professor study the roles of authority figures and victims, they knew what point was being proven. It'd be like doing an experiment on gun control in the wake of several mass shootings.

Finally, despite Zimbardo's best efforts to smear all of humanity in one fell swoop, several of the student "guards" kept their moral compass intact and didn't abuse jack shit. Some even did favors for their inmates. The nice ones didn't get much attention in the subsequent reports because they didn't fit the professor's hypothesis that deep down we're all just waiting for permission to be assholes.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:31 pm

I'll bet you'd be a total fucking dickhead if you were in that experiment, wouldn't you?

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Shut your goddamn face, maggot, and lick the floor clean.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:57 am

You just made the biggest mistake of your life, pal.

Words cannot describe the imminency of your DF at this point.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Ok i'm the SK prison guard.

I want that toilet so clean the virgin mary herself would be proud to take a dump!

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:38 pm