Laid Bare!

Making enemies at work (too)

The Great Splendini

Making enemies at work (too)

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Just got a bad evaluation

Yeah.... but I never agreed to teach the fucking class they gave me

And of course they don't know what I should be teaching either

They just throw you in with the lions and then pass off all the blame on you

Man do I feel like going to the fucking Education Commission and ratting these motherfuckers out and getting the hell out of this fucking incompetent country for once and for all

The Great Splendini

Re: Making enemies at work (too)

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 17, 2016 10:55 am

just got out of the office with the dean and lost my temper.

then I received this email from HR. of course losing your temper is translated to "went crazy" to make you look bad. that's all part of the psychological warfare. they can fuck you but you can't lose your temper.

In my service of human resourse searching, i came across several such cases before, in which the foreign teacher went crazy and threatened to sue the school in the local court of law, but finally, as the contract was the final reference, and the foreign teacher failed to fulfill the contract, the foreign teacher was fired.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 am

So it's a twisted thing where they're afraid I'll go nuts and do something crazy.

And at the same time, they're trying to threaten me into submission and make me believe that the teacher always loses out, no matter what.

No, they don't. Make enough noise and these assholes start ratting each other out.

Because there's no honor among thieves.

And only an idiot tries to sue a big school with guanxi in China.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue May 17, 2016 11:40 am

Well. that's the problem. The FT goes nutso and nothing happens.

If you can pinpoint specific areas where they broke the law or violated the contract, you can file a complaint with the FEB and/or PSB and maybe make some minor problems for them.

The thing to do now would be to get really cool and be like "I'm offended that you just go and presume I'll go nuts, like that's the issue. It's a way of deflecting responsibility for the school's disreputable actions, such as 1, 2, 3..." (Instances where they subvert either the law or the FEB regulations for hiring FTs. Also, instances where they did not respond to issues you had with classes, like the case above. Point out the ridiculousness of the situation in clear concise terms that make THEM look like the unreasonable assholes, not you.) Yeah, be really cool and act like they are the ones acting dishonestly/disreputably.

Then make an amicable enough peace to keep getting paid til your contract ends. Obviously you're not gonna do more than inconvenience them with a lawsuit or federal case out of the matter. YOU on the other hand WILL pay a price.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Filing a lawsuit might work only against a small school that doesn't have much guanxi. But you still need to pay legal fees. And how much can you get from it if you win?

Employers have the upper hand and it's very easy for them to fire anyone. And we're all disposable garbage. They don't want us to stay for a long time anyway.

You cannot have a reasonable discussion with them. That's what I did and that's why I flew off the handle.

They gave me a class I am not qualified to teach. This is not an ESL class. They're asking me to teach students how to write a thesis, how to write dissertations, etc.. I tried, but I couldn't do it. And I didn't try hard enough because this shit does my fucking head in. So I'm partially responsible because I wasn't teaching what they asked. But I didn't agree to this when I took the job. They changed the class after I got here.

So I asked "who is responsible for giving me this class"? And they didn't answer my question.

Then, as a tactic to deflect blame, they always claim their English is not good. I noticed when they blame you and point out clauses in the contract, their English seems good enough. But when you criticize them, they blame their English level for miscommunication.

Fucking childish culture of ever refusing to take responsibility for any mistakes, always playing the fucking blame game. What a bunch of stupid fucking assholes.

I can't win. The longer I stay, the more I'll fly off the handle and then they'll just call me crazy.

I can't stay calm with these assholes.

Well, anyway. I did score a minor victory. The guy was scared I was going to assault him. But I'm not that crazy. That will get you deported on the spot. I just lost it and made him scared and made him lose face in front of his staff. That's a big deal for them. That's a big blow to their egos, being made to lose face in front of their staff. So that's all I can do.

Now, I'm packing my fucking bags.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Anyway, what's the point of staying where you're forced to teach a class you can't fucking stand?

Not only that. The fucking students hate that shit. I'd be fucking torturing them with it and that tortures me to have to sit there and torture students. At least with ESL, you can make things light and fun to some degree.

I stopped arguing and fighting. That will only make things worse and they'll kick me out sooner.

They will NEVER admit wrongdoing. Unless you point a gun to their head and it's the last resort or be killed. They will NEVER ever ever even compromise or meet you halfway.

I asked "who is responsible for giving me this class?" and they refused to fucking answer, going into all kinds of contortions, fucking blah blah blah. That's the worst thing you can do is start pointing the finger back at them.

Fucking cowards that they are.

I just usually lose my temper once, scare them a bit, try to make them lose face in front of other staff, then let it go and move on.

I already did that. But this time I'm going to try to get a hold of the President and write a nasty email to the president.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 17, 2016 2:32 pm

There must be a shitload of teachers going nuts that nobody ever hears about.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue May 17, 2016 2:36 pm

<<If you can pinpoint specific areas where they broke the law or violated the contract, you can file a complaint with the FEB and/or PSB and maybe make some minor problems for them.>>

Ok, I nearly missed this.

So this is what happened. I was told I would be hired to teach TOEFL. Although I deleted the email conversations that can back this up.

Then, when I arrived they dumped this class on me. Technically I accepted it. Then the class was not what the school expected so I got a bad evaluation and told to change. They didn't fire me. But honestly, I don't know how to teach the class.

So my complaint is they didn't offer the class they told me I would be teaching and I don't have the qualifications to teach this class.

You think I have a case?

What's FEB?

Fuck it. This is a fucking GOVT school. The PSB will not do shit.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed May 18, 2016 12:41 am

The FEB is the Foreign Experts Bureau, which is the agency that issues your Foreign Experts Certificate. They have certain parameters about working hours, classes, compensation, etc, that schools are obligated to follow. Most break them in some way.

Now as for specialized classses, I dunno. My approach has always been to be honest with both the school and the students. For example, If they want me to teach business English to a group of low level speakers, that's fine. I'll just do role-plays about salesmen talking about their products or real estate deals or something I can understand and is mainly about the language. If my students, however, are all MBA or Economic majors, my knowledge is going to fall short of theirs in their area of study. I am, quite simply, honest about it. If the school tells me to "pretend" that I'm an architect or a engineer in order to teach the same, I tell them to fuck off. Because those students are very quickly going to be able to discern that I don't have that background. So I will do the class and do my best with it, but I won't lie.

If the school is expecting you to lie or is lying to the students about who you are, then that's something you can hold over them. Be cool. When they prattle on with their bullshit, just shake your head, sigh, and tell them you're disappointed with how conniving they're being.

As far as losing your shit, there is actually a time for it. I never lose it completely, but I've let it relatively loose at certain junctures. They need to know that's on table, face destroying laowai shit-losing. And even if you lost your shit on them previously, you can just take the attitude now of "of course I did because of how badly mistreated I was. This school's support is woefully inadequate. Disappointing." and then be cool and take the high road until THEY lose THEIR shit.

Of course that's just fucking with them. Really, your best bet is to ride out the contract, minimizing stress with them, then GTFO.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed May 18, 2016 7:06 am

No, I've been officially fired.

I can be a bit scary when I lose my temper.

I think I rattled the guy's cage and he might be afraid of me.

They weren't asking me to pretend anything. They just asked me to teach a class I honestly have no fucking clue how to teach and don't have adequate materials. I could pull off one or two classes maybe, but not a whole semester of this shit.

So fuck them.

And fuck the FEB. They're a bunch of corrupt assholes who never do shit.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu May 19, 2016 2:15 am

Ok, as long as you have something to move on to. Cover your ass first, as always. The schools are profitable institutions that can be inconvenienced by a PSB raid or fine, but the it's FT that pays the most drastic price related to the upheaval of his life.  The schools really do make ridiculous demands on FTs sometimes.  I've walked out of a few classes myself, mostly adolescent classes over classroom management issues.  For adults, I've taught engineers, architects, scientists, businessfolk... but I make no bones to hide my background or pretend to have knowledge and experience that I don't.

They basically will market anything by promising the moon to the client, then they just drop it all the FT with no support or materials half the time, demanding they make it work and blaming them if the students are less than satisfied with the instruction.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Thu May 19, 2016 2:49 am

Don't lose your temper ever. It makes you look bad and unreasonable.
    I've told a principal off once, on my last day at work and i didn't even raise my voice. She nearly dropped because she didn't expect it.

When they gave you the class, did you tell them you don't know how to teach it?

Other than that, look for a school where you know they have good teacher support, like that link i sent you once. Also make sure that your employer knows about teaching and is able to give constructive feedback on your work - It's your interview as much as it's theirs, imo.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu May 19, 2016 7:26 am

I have nothing else lined up yet. But sometimes that can work in your favor because some schools hire urgently.

I got an offer in Thailand, but Christ they make you teach 25 hours a week for fucking pittance. Fuck that shit. Thailand is a great place to be, but not working like a donkey for nothing.

I should have disputed the class at the very beginning. I thought I might be able to teach it. They helped me order some books online. But when I got the books, I realized it was all this fucking abstract bullshit. I would basically have to mostly LECTURE, which I don't like doing. I prefer the ESL style activity-based approach. There's no way to make this shit into activities. And the students would fucking hate this shit. And then of course they always just blame the teacher even though they made no preparations for the class and they themselves have no idea how to teach it.

Basically, I think what this guy was doing is testing out a new class on me. He came up with this idea for this class without really having any details. And it's probably some vanity project so he can add it to his resume to impress his bosses. Look at me. I made this super complex course. But it's over his head and it's over the head of the students. And if you're going to add a course to the curriculum, you need to fucking plan it first.

Fuck it.

I'm glad I lost my temper. Yes, they did say I "went crazy", but that's just psychological warfare to try to make me look like the bad guy and deflect any blame for wrongdoing. I rattled the guy's cage, I made him understand that it was his fault for not doing any planning, and I made him lose face in front of his staff. That's a huge deal for these people.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu May 19, 2016 1:26 pm

I think there is a time to lose your temper, but do so strategically -or demonstrate privately, so that your boss knows you are capable of a nuclear face-ripping meltdown.  Better, of course, if it doesn't come to that. Particularly if you don't have back-up arrangements. But since you're already there, I guess my advice is completely useless.

Good luck finding something.  I've been looking, but like you say this industry generally wants people RIGHT NOW, and I'm looking at this Autumn.

I talked to a guy at the school in Thailand, and asked him about higher paying work than I was seeing in the adds.  He told me that 30,000 baht was pretty standard.  Which sucks BUT accommodation allowance is usually included.  So that's less than a $1000 USD per month, but there's no rent to pay and your expenses are lower and you get to live in a country everyone thinks is awesome.

I was doing a paper on immigration for my global society course which invovled breaking down immigration and emigration nations and studying the flow of populations throughout the world.  Most immigration nations were the ones you would suspect:  US, Canada, western Europe.... but Thailand also made the list, which is something for such a poor country.  Not only did it make the list but it's intake of immigrants is a whopping FIVE TIMES higher than it's outgoing number of emigrants.  

I dunno, I might try it.  I'm also looking at these shitty middle eastern countries that would suck to live and work in, but pay 4-5 grande a month tax free.  Might be worth sucking it up for year to bundle together a nice $50,000 nestegg.  In Thailand you'd probably have to work near on a decade to squirrel away that much.  

But enjoying life in the moment and all that.... I'm still weighing options.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu May 19, 2016 4:48 pm

I don't mind lower paying jobs, but with a lot of free time.

This place in Thailand was 9 to 5 with shit wages. NO FUCKING WAY!

You can travel to Thailand without actually living there.

For Middle East, I think you have to be really qualified for 5000 USD.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 am

Man, the shit nearly hit the fan.

Like getting booted out of China type thing.

You need a Plan B back home.

If you lose it and fall out of favor with the wrong asshole, say Bye bye to your visa.

Actually, I need a fucking Plan A back home.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue May 31, 2016 12:29 pm

Yeah it seems all the Thai jobs pay 30k baht, with housing. That's major league sucky.

AND they expect you to work a full schedule on top of that.

Shit, they have online skype schools advertising all over the place that pay way more than that.

So if you could finagle the visa in thailand somehow, you live there cheap and collect $20 per lesson from one of those places -which at just 10 lessons a week would work out to about the same as 30k baht. For 10 lessons, which is a majorly light schedule. If you got it up to 20 lessons, you'd be living like a king over there.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Thailand is not worth it.

Low pay with 7:30 to 4:00 hours or something.

I've had low paying jobs, but never worked 40 hours for it.

And if you like to drink, there are bars everywhere there.

You will piss everything away.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Try to get out of ESL.

It's a fucked up industry.

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:02 am