Laid Bare!

Sciency, I challenge you to a motherfuckin' DUEL

The Great Splendini

Re: Sciency, I challenge you to a motherfuckin' DUEL

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Yeah, I looked into those mini pc's.

But then I said fuck it.

The laptop keyboard is constricting? Nah. It's fine. Where the fuck can you even put a separate mouse unless you're at a desk. I'm in a cafe now with my laptop on my LAPS. there's no place for a mouse.

The laptop is a great invention and it's perfect. It has the monitor and keyboard in a concise package. Why would you want to separate out the monitor only to have to re-attach it every time?

They're trying to come out with new shit to replace the laptop, but it's basically just to make $$$.

Fuck it. I'm keeping the laptop. If I own my own place, I'm also getting a kickass computer with a giant monitor.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:29 pm

It only takes me a few minutes to set up the NUC, including the speakers. The monitor has speakers but they sound tinny. If I had money to burn I'd get some wireless speakers, but the sound quality on the ones I bought in China for 20 kuai is just fine.

And also I do have a laptop. Why do I need to continually remind you of that?

So you're sitting in a cafe with your laptop acting like a big douche? Yeah, I suppose laptops can't be beat for that. Being douchey I mean. Razz

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:36 pm

A warning though if anyone is buying a NUC.  It comes bare bones, so factor that in when you see the price.

Another nice thing is that you can plug in anywhere.  It has a DC adapter cable like a laptop and a variety of different plug attachments.

Otherwise though, again, I'm talking completely bare bones here.  Intel just sends you the machine with the CPU and circuitry and power installed into it.

You have to buy the optical hard drive and RAM separately, and Intel doesn't make that stuff so a bit of research is required.

That hardware is very easy to install however.  Then you just add the operating system of your choice.  I'd go with Windows 7, but you could easily run 10 on it.

Mine looks like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But I just checked their website, and they've new models out now, including this badass mofo!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK with 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor and Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics unleashes maximized performance for intense game play. We’ve created a wicked new look, along with a redesigned chassis that lets you take full advantage of every GHz of the quad-core processor without overheating—making the NUC6i7KYK totally cool. Literally.

The specs are off the charts on for this thing.  It kicks about 111 different kinds ass.

But I only play two games and they are both from 1997, so no point in investing.

The reason nothing else beats the NUC is that is made by Intel, the producer of the CPU who also designed the rest of the circuitry in the machine, so you are getting the optimal use out of your CPU.  Nothing but nothing can beat the NUC in the way of mini-pcs.  I've never had a single problem with it, save for some bad RAM I bought, but again that is purchased separately so Intel cannot be blamed for that.  It loads Windows 7 in seconds.  I've never reached the threshold of its power, not once.  I can have a video playing, two games going, all my com apps like Skype, antivirus, a bunch of Office applications up, and a gazillion websites open and everything still loads instantly and runs smoothly.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:28 pm