Laid Bare!

Just quit the job I spent over two weeks trying to get... on day one.

Psioncy

Just quit the job I spent over two weeks trying to get... on day one.

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:30 am

They're called Singaporean Curriculm Schools... AND THEY ARE SUPER SICK.

Everything is controled by Filipinas here in the ESL field, and they make damn sure whitey is getting shit on stick.

That and the local adminstrators callaborating with them too.

I fucked moved to stray cat, pack dog country and spent food and hotel fees for over two weeks waiting on this job and to do their demo.

They went on about how many other candidtes they had, and how even if I could pass the demo I would have to wait another twenty days in limbo to start.  

Once they saw my mad skills in action however they hired me instantly and asked me start immediately.  Today.

So I came in and saw WTF was going on.  It's *all* about controlling the foriegn teachers, all of it.  They act like it's discipline with the students, but they were actually allowed to be quite rowdy.  They work the teachers like dogs, constant teaching hours + extra prep + bullshit with the parents.  I was told I should work a 9 hour shift without leaving the school, but I was like fuck that, I'm leaving for my shitty 30 minute lunch break cuz all they were serving was pork soup, and I have quit pork.

They would not allow me out the gate, until I signed a special book.  There were three books at the gate, only for the foriegn teachers.  One was to sign in in morning and out at night.  Another was to sign out for less than ten minutes, lol.  Then there was a third one for lunch.

I didn't even eat lunch, I just want back to my hotel and reshowed cuz I was sweating like pig-piss in that place.  Then, when I got back, the guard wouldn't let me back in without going through this incredible rigamarole.  And the my director started off by say that I was hired, but like any teacher I could expect to be let go at a moment's notice or less.... at any time throughout the contract, even if my performance was good and they just found someone they liked more.  It was like twenty minutes of this evil bullshit.

(This is for incredible shit pay too BTW.)

Then I was working every fknd second I was not teaching the monkey classes fucking editing monkey writing.   And there's  whole of boss-worshipping going on and crap like that, like a Chinese school.  Also, the kids are not learning any productive english skills.  They are amazing at being instructed, however.  It's like the opposite of how ESL training is supposed to work.

Whatever.  I just booked a flight to Japan, m'fkrs.  We'll see what the shizzle is there.

Cuz I've realized that these polite thais in the land of smiles, are passively aggressively aloof.  They do it totally on purpose too.  Not I didn't like many, I met some really cool Thais here, but in general there's a lot of what I was just talking about.  Plus I never imagined that an inner megatropolis would have a problem being overrun by jungle with wild dogs and panthers and shit running around.  My commutes lately have been like walking the The Dark Jungles of Despair... and dirty and they drive like fucking maniacs.  

I'm sure Japan will be boring by comparison and I'll miss it.... but... I do have a far-flung future return ticket, m'fkrs.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Re: Just quit the job I spent over two weeks trying to get... on day one.

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:50 am

hahaha, filipinas.

well, sounds like REVENGE coz you wouldn't shut up about wishing the whole island goes down in a fucking typhoon and because you fucked over a lot of filipina chicks. admit it.

HA HA HA.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:59 am

yeah, the driving. there was a laowai who got into an altercation with a cab driver in Bangkok a while back.

DEMOS are stupid. And I don't take offers that don't hire from abroad. I was trying to jump ship to Europe. I had schools in Spain and Portugal contact me, but they asked me to fly there for an interview and I said fuck you.

Actually, I think I warned you several times that Thailand schools are mostly shit. And yeah, they force you to stay there from morning to afternoon.

Get a contract and visa before flying out. Get all the duties listed in the contract. Research the school online. Most bad schools have some negative reviews online.

Japan is expensive. If it takes you a long time to find work, you'll pay a lot in hotel fees. I suggest you lay low in Thailand (or Philippines or Malaysia) where hotels are 5-10 times cheaper than Japan. Then take a flight when you get a job. And check China jobs. China has way more jobs than Japan.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:02 am

well, you beat my record.

i never quit a job on day one.

nice!
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 am

I actually have all the docs to go back to China, the problem I have to get them all notarized by The Secretary of State now *and* I can only apply from The US. (Home country) Trying to get Z from Hong Kong or whatever is a crapshoot these days, and a bad one, from what I've been told.

Regarding the flips getting *revenge* on me by some debt of karma, it's totally the other way around. Flips were all over me in every direction *before* the typhoon thread, way, way before.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:12 am

Excuse me, but what you just did is stupid.

You've been teaching many years. You know a lot of schools are shit. You went out there without a contract and without researching the place and without knowing anything about the work conditions.

You were back in the US for what? 2 years? you had plenty of time to line something up with a visa in hand before heading out.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:18 am

The Great Splendini wrote:well, you beat my record.

i never quit a job on day one.

nice!

Yeah, I didn't tell you hear half the bullshit.  FTs were expected to set up the lunch tables for the kids to eat their poop soup on

I've not ever seen witness to such bullshit in a school, and I've worked in dozens of dozens of Chinese schools.  But this Singapore school thing is huge here, every job opp I've had is at one, and they're all set up the same, with freaky chucky dummies of children in entry office, three side by side, in the even creepeir, chuckier uniforms than the dolls themselves.

And they boast and boast about great it is, but I've never seen more awful productive skills, reading/speaking/writing wise for kids these age.  The materials are whack.  I was teaching them present perfect passive progressive.... and past perfect passive progressive.. like you "it having been had by" or whatever, under high pressure to impart it to students who rarely used the simple past ever in their writing.  And the contexts of the material made no sense either.  Some seriously kooky shit IMHO.

Last edited by Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 am; edited 4 times in total

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:23 am

One kids school I worked at in Beijing was EVIL.

No joke.

I think the school was DELIBERATELY FUCKING EVIL.

All kids did all day long was REPEAT what the teacher said. They could PRONOUNCE English words fairly well, but they didn't know what they were saying.

Repeating shit all day long is fucking evil. Believe me.

Seriously, the place had an evil vibe to it. And me and this American girl got spooked out and quit.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 am

I worked with mostly adults, cuz they're a lot more interesting, but yeah i know what you mean bout the rote business. That's how they learn their own language.... and everything else. Their only "productive" with math... but even then don't give them a word problem.

As for "evil," didn't work for one that wasn't totally 100% that. They embrace it a New Zealand koala to a... lying evil shit tree.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:30 am

stay in thailand on vacation. it's one of the cheapest places.

but try to find something DECENT before flying out? flights are expensive, no?

anyway, you never know.

even some schools that were decent, there's always a curve ball. the boss wants to do you in, etc...

just roll with the punches.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:38 am

It is *not* that cheap.

The food seems cheap, the quantities are tiny. Drinks at bars are highly priced, comparatively speaking.

Hotels are kinda cheap, for what you are getting. Apartments, well I looked at one that was... let my try to convert... relatively 8000 baht a month, but not nearly as nice as my RMB 3000 a month places. I can't even convert anymore. Surely cheaper, but i mean, to me Beijing is way cheaper than anyway, in my hutong on my e-bike. Drinking 15 cent cups of baij and 3 kaui chaunr. I lived without working for nearly 10 months on like 30k rmb, which is... fuck it. I'm too drunk to convert.

Not really much cheaper, and way more expensive in comparison to ESL salaries.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:44 am

yeah so go back to beijing in your fucking hutong hovel.

where you BELONG.

fuck thailand. china is better.

i tried to find something in mexico because if the shit hits the fan, it's easier to fly back.

but no dice.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:53 am

O' I've got plan fo j-pan.

As usual, it is an extremely poorly conceived (and presumably executed) plan... yet a plan nonetheless.  Suspect

Not a job, mind you, or even the prospect of one...  Well, it's not so much a "plan" per-se as it is mostly making it up as I go along -to quote the immortal MacGruber.   Razz

And I've checked the prices, they are lower than you would think, as are salaries.  I know japanese that boast about making 24k USD a year.  Which, yeah, to ME sounds like a like of money, but first-world nation wise, that's actually shit.  Yet, in modern japan that is professional salary.

Fuck I made more some years in China... most actually.  Well it fluctuated.  The first place I worked where i met RB, the salary started at 4k RMB.  I quickly learned, however, that I could make more money just moonlighting on the weekends.

RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:08 am

Taiwan!

Yeah Thailand always seemed too third worldly and corrupt and sleazy for me.

Kuta was bad enough.

Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Dude, you will be killed in Japan, once you open your drunken gob about how US won the war, nukes,and so on.

I experienced that in Germany, and I opened my gob to a Germanized American, got thrown in the cells.

Mind you, their pussy. Good surf there too.

I get the feeling, you will run out of destinations soon, unless you knock the booze on the head.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:12 am

Not to worry!

Sciency has hatched another poorly conceived half-baked plan out of his butthole while under the influence of cheap booze.
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:20 am

Ouch! Haha, Pi putting the boot in.

Well, you do deserve it Psioncy.

albino

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:23 am

He's a damn fool.

I need to coach him every step of the way.

Ok go take a shit and don't make any more decisions. Wait for further instructions.

.... from someone who has been fucking things up for YEARS.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 am

try playing Pokemon Go .. and see where that leads you
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:41 am

Hey, I already totally and self-deficatingly admitted this shit.

And guess what I've done over my career as a raging drunk.

1.  Scored... well let's say "triple digits" in Asian poon.  
    2.  Earned a degree and a CELTA.
    3.  Lived in the hutongs, now I'm *here* and soon to be flying the friendly skies once again.... on the money I rapidly run out of.  (refer back to new sig line about plans.)
    4.  Written a best-selling (albeit free) novel... and well on my way to the sequel.

That's not too shabs for a raging alc.  I can do it cuz I am sober sometimes.  I tend to post mostly when I'm drunk as horsehit, so it might seem otherwise, but I'm probably sober more than I'm loaded.  I kinda have to be, cuz at my blood alcohol level I'd be dead if I didn't detox and recover with days upon days of drinking water and hallucinating deathly hellish visions.  (Something I don't need to halllucinate over here, I can just go walk one of the canals of the "Venice of the East" and get my fill. )

Packs of mangy dogs roaming around here everywhere.  I couldn't even go outside the hotel this morning because there were like twenty dogs running terrorizing the neighborhood.  That's why nobody walks.  I go out and walk everywhere and see no one else walking, just gazillions of scooters and cars.  Few even dare to bicycle.  I've seen like three.  In Beijing you bike everywhere, it's awesome.

I have to admit, having done that *one* day of work that I've done today in the last many years, was pretty darn exhausting.  Sleep

Rule #4:  Take a well deserved nap.

After I finish all this booze I purchased, or more likely in the middle of doing that, while cursing and threatening THE TWO OF YOU!  affraid

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:53 am

It's like I always keep saying: make every problem your slave:

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:54 am

mangy dogs. ha ha ha.

sorry but that was the part that got my attention the most.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:08 am

Dude, they're fucking *everywhere.*

Some came at me trying to get under this fence, their snouts sprang out snakes and snarling viciously.

When I walk the canal each day, I choose the left side even though I need the right, to cross it later, cuz half a dozen lay around over there.

Some are pets, but most are *not.*

And I met a panther, who was awesome!  They have this kind of white hawk too, it flies over the canal often and it's one of the most gorgeous birds I've ever seen, second only to maybe a crane.

I *know* there's fucking cobras and shit around here too, even though I haven't seen one yet.

The part of Bangkok I was in before was all super civilized and lovely, but this is the darker than any nongville in Chinar.  Why they don't do some animal control is beyond me.  The twenty fucking dogs running around my hotel this morning is something that shouldn't ever happen anywhere.  Nobody can go outside, get to work, the store, whatevs.

Maybe cuz they're Buddhist or whatever.  But I'm also "Buddhist or Whatever."  I've declared officially as my religion on FB and here and many places, but I would never let this shit happen if I were in charge anywhere.  There's be a major, major hound extermination on.

Every time i walk one or six, I get fairly nervous... as I should be. You never know which ones are feeling aggressive, until they stop and stalk and stare. On several occasions though I've been surrounded by packs of puppies, which is obviously adorable.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:30 am

i hate those big aggressive dogs.

i like docile breeds only, like golden retriever. the other ones are not pets. they're fucking guard dogs.

anybody who owns a pitbull, i'm sorry to say, is not manly so you need your fucking dog to scare people off to make yourself look like a macho shit ass.

anyway, if i think back to all the bad decisions and mistakes i've made in my life, i'd commit suicide. so i'd rather just not think about it.

just move on and put this shit behind you.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:13 am

No, I'm still not done with Thailand yet. I have another week or more here? I can't remember. I'd have to check my new itinerary.

Which I'm NOT posting for UFC. Razz

I could have keeped working this job, even though it sucks incredibly major shit, I could have worked within the parameters of it to really help these kids.

But it's the fact that they wanted to control me. They don't care so much about controlling the kids, it's more about controlling me.

And you can guess what happens when someone decides *that* is their priority.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:14 am

But you know what?  I'm still got some money left I think after the plane ticket.

I don't know how much, but enough to you know....

PUT YOUR HANDS UP

Stayin' Alive!

Oooh oooh oooh ooh...

Stayin Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

(It's ok, you can keep singing if you want to. It doesn't mean we have to duel anymore.  That's done and over with.... maybe...)

Last edited by Psioncy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 am