In the mirror
    A million times
    But it was the timing of time
    In my mind
    That did me
    The Angel of God

Re: My poem Time to be published in the NY Literary Magazine in December

Post  The Angel of God on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Nice. The more you get professionally published, the more opportunities arise.

"The timing of time"

Time pisses me off. It's relentless and it just accelerates as you age. Nothing I can do but accept it however, so that's the route I take. Everytime I get a haircut, the floor sweeping get grayer. I still have more hair color at least and the gray isn't immediately visible, cept in daylight.

Whatever, aging has its benefits. My mind is stronger than ever. And I like to think I've retained something of my youth in there.

The Angel of God

Post  The Angel of God on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:32 pm

I wrote a bunch of short stories last year.  Maybe I'll send one in, just so I can a professional publishing under my belt.

For my novels, I want to stick with the self-publishing.  They are a labor of love for me, and the last thing I'd want is some editor telling me where to take the story or demanding I make changes to the characters to suit target preferences in sci-fi.  I also don't want to deal with deadlines.  Maybe sequel is already a year late from when I announced it.  Razz

But I was busy writing for school, among other things.  I'm at 60k words into it.  I feel like once I get stabilized I'll be able to crank out the rest of the manuscript.  I mean, I wrote the first one in a month.  It was an intensive month of doing pretty much nothing but that (3-4 hours a day of writing and an hour or two of research) but still only a month.
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:47 pm

My mind is stronger than ever.

tongue

Just kidding, keep at the writing, it is painful, and takes so much time and effort, often without reward, but little pieces of positivity and encouragement do arise along the way.

And keep a journal. People want to read about Thailand.
    The Angel of God

Post  The Angel of God on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:53 pm

My Thai journal is on here.  I love it.  I want to live here forever... but visas.

At the end of the month I will have to go to Laos to renew.  I read bout doing it in Cambodia, but Laos is better.  Also I can hire an agency to take care of it.  More money, but since I don't know Laos, I should do it anyway rather than attempting it on my own.

For Filipinas it is easy, because ASEAN has a pact. Maybe I'll try to get LeoChick or one of my other Filipina GFs to come here, once I've employed secured. Filipina English sucks like shit, but it's the best in Asia. So I'm thinking about if I get stabilized bringing one of them over. I know LeoChick has her American b/f now with a house and salary. But I've still got two more to try with.

Local Thai girl is also possible, but I kind of want to be with someone I know already.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:26 pm

congratulations.

and if i were you, i would set up a web site "robertblack.com" and put some of poetry there.

but the more exposure the better. so good luck.

The Angel of God

Post  The Angel of God on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:47 am

Yeah, writing is not bread & butter.  The publishers control everything.  The Big 5 for sci-fi reject 99% of manuscripts, even very good ones, because they are looking for specific themes and styles that suit what they consider their mainstream target audience.

Look at some of the shit that gets published!  Some of the worst writing I've ever seen turns into best-sellers, while very excellent literature languishes in the recesses of KDP.  It's all about meeting market demands and being in with a big publisher.  That's why you have ten zillion Zombie and Near Future Dystopia (Hunger Games) novels regurgitating each other ad-nauseum.

Half the sci-fi out there is complete crap, never moving in original direction or even using anything remotely resembling observation-based (proven) science.  They even have services on Fiverr.com to write pages of meaningless technobabble for the author to paste into the manuscript.  And there's even more pulp on KDP.  It's a sea of pulp.

I'm gong to keep writing for my own sake, and earn my bread and butter elsewhere.  I enjoy thinking about my story and its characters.  It's a pleasureful past time for *me.*  It's leading up to series mid-point space battle in the third installment that is going to be f-ing epic!  I still have to finish writing my way up to that point, and keep things interesting in the meanwhile too, not just rush through to the awesome part.  What they're up to now is also pretty interesting (taking over a space colony) so I need to keep my mind focused on that and not dwell so far in the future of the main storyline.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:56 pm

But the world is in transition with the internet.

You don't have to rely on The Man to publish your work anymore.

Well, many still do. but self-publishing is now possible.

But you still have to market yourself and put yourself out there.

If nobody knows who you are, then well no one will buy your stuff.

RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:32 pm

Yes, thank God the world of publishing is changing, and not controlled by retards, stuffed shirts, or lesbians and feminists, any more.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:53 pm

one guy who wrote a book said bookstores are evil because only a small percentage of books/authors get displayed.

RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:51 pm

The Great Splendini wrote:one guy who wrote a book said bookstores are evil because only a small percentage of books/authors get displayed.

Totally right. The only place you can read good authors is the internet, or second hand bookshops.

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:08 am