Laid Bare!

Movie Thread

Gerald's Poppadoms

Movie Thread

Post  Gerald's Poppadoms on Wed May 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Just watched Shutter Island with Leonardo. Not bad. Ending could have been a bit better. Gave it a 7 out of ten.
    Directed by Scorcese.
    Ivor Biggun

Re: Movie Thread

Post  Ivor Biggun on Thu May 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Was OK but need to be sober to follow it.
    silkywave3

I see the movie as well

Post  silkywave3 on Fri May 07, 2010 5:15 pm

I see the movie as well. The atmosphere is thoroughly creepy. I cann't believe the stygian dean is a nice man as the end says. Evil or Very Mad
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat May 08, 2010 9:25 pm

I totally predicted the shit of that ending, thank you.

Though I gotta say it was still well-written -and acted.

Back in his Titanic days I bashed on Reatardo DeCrapio quite a lot, but his style has matured now to the point where I can actually settle in and enjoy his roles, kinda similiar to the careers of Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt.

I was particularly impressed by the stunning visuals and surreal dream sequences, which remarkably demonstrate just how much more fantastic the world appears when you're batshit insane. Wink
    silkywave3

At the end of daybreak

Post  silkywave3 on Mon May 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Synopsis

Based on a true story ripped from the headlines, At the End of Daybreak is a slow-burning crime drama in which no one is innocent. Ho Yuhang, one of Malaysia’s leading independent filmmakers, returns with a sharply critical take on his society. Class divisions, a rigid educational system, parental control and youthful ennui ultimately lead to shocking results.

The film begins with a graphic scene foreshadowing the ill-fated destiny of Ho’s desperate characters. The protagonist is twenty-three-year-old Tuck Chai (Chui Tien You), who lives with his overprotective and alcoholic mother (Wai Ying Hong). Neither intelligent nor ambitious, he works at his mother’s store and hangs out with his equally aimless friends. Tuck Chai is secretly seeing Ying (Ng Meng Hui), a teen who is still at school. The wealthier of the two, Ying is a carefree young girl with no real moral compass – she casually lies, gossips and steals, despite being raised by strict parents. But when birth control is found in her room, she is revealed to be just fifteen, and Tuck Chai is threatened with statutory rape. Thus begins the blackmail and deceit that ultimately spiral out of control.

Gone are the long shots and longer takes synonymous with Ho’s earlier works. His shots are now closer and have more immediacy, even though the director still views his characters from an objective distance. Indeed, one of the film’s most effective scenes is a montage that uses music and clever cutting to delve into Ying’s psyche. But the most emotionally charged moments come from the mother-son interdependency, helped immensely by a commanding performance from Shaw Brothers veteran Wai Ying Hong, also known as Kara Hui. Her character’s genuine love for Tuck Chai and her subsequent desperation when things go wrong make this tale all the more heartbreaking.

Skilfully observing the country’s social reality, At the End of Daybreak represents a vital evolution in the Malaysian New Wave that began over five years ago.

Gerald's Poppadoms

Post  Gerald's Poppadoms on Sun May 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Sounds interesting Silky.

OK I have the whole Oscar run except the cartoon one as I don't like cartoons much.

Here are my ratings and comments:

Up In The Air - 6/10. Not too boring but Oscar Material?

The Hurt Locker - yeah I liked it had a real feel to it - 7/10.

District Nine - loved it. 8/10. Original and creative.

The French one - odd but great ending a bit spooky gave it a 7/10.

The Cove - fantastic! 9/10.

Precious - had to turn it off just too depressing - hard to rate maybe a 6/10.

The Blind Side - not bad - 7/10.

Inglorious Bastards - yeah quite liked it 7/10.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm