I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane!

RobertBlack

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane!

Post  RobertBlack on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:35 am

Don't know when I'll be back again!

RobertBlack

Re: I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane!

Post  RobertBlack on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:36 am

Fuck you England you fucked up old left winged PC foreigner ridden whore!
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:38 am

The podcasts will be down to like once a week now at most...

It's time for serious writing!

And some playing of the game, hide the sausage!

cheers
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:40 am

Not to mention the rain, and the awful accents of the females!
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 pm

At Heathrow Terminal 2. Surprisingly quiet and pleasant. They even have fast free Razz wifi here Sciency!

Maybe you should go to Bangcock airport to teach your classes.
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:37 am

I'm on a bus in Europe and the wifi is very good.

Maybe you should take a bus and do your classes on there Sciency Laughing
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:40 am

By the way, I got to number 5 in personal journals
    The Angel of God

Post  The Angel of God on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:54 am

Yes, English women who look ok until they open their mouths and you reel in horror.

You neglected to mention which country you are in.  "Europe" is pretty broad.

Anyway, congrats on getting out.

The airport and buses here also have free wifi.  But you cannot teach online in a public place (You will get fired for this) and  you also cannot teach on a shared connection because if too many people are uploading at once the upload rate will drop and your video/audio will cut out.  You have to use a stable, unshared connection.  My hotel actually has good wifi, but the upload is unstable so I switch back and forth networks between work and non-working times.
    The Angel of God

Post  The Angel of God on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:57 am

You've got to have a quiet environment with a professional (or just white) background and sufficient lighting.  There can be no interruptions, such as people walking past the camera, talking, traffic, or cell-phones ringing.
    RobertBlack

Post  RobertBlack on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:34 pm

My gf/ex gf has very fast wifi, and white walls. Will try and hook up with an agency to teach online next week. Maybe get a small whiteboard, and some good headphones.

It's good to have a break from England for a while. In winter one should live in a country that snows, not rains endlessly.

It is drier and better for health.

I recall those winters in Beijing, every day sunny, maybe the occasional day of snow.

The Angel of God

Post  The Angel of God on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Yeah, just watch out if you're on a shared wifi with other uploaders.

www.speedtest.net

Make sure your upload speed is reliable.

I finally got my f-ing internet figured out today.  What a headache it is taxiing to and walking around these ginormous shopping centers, only to find out I'm in the wrong place.  They don't have maps of these places either.  You just walk around for an hour trying find the shops. 

Finally found a telecomm shop, it's not the company I was looking for.  Their data packages are more expensive, but better.  I'm working off a pocket 4G router hard wired into my PC.  It's incredibly fast.  I'm working now and gone through a little over 2000 megs in three 30 minute classes.  My package comes with 14 gigs of data and costs about $25, or roughly a gig a day, give or take.  That's a lot better than my pocket wifi rental I was using last month, which costs $10 a day for 1 gig of usage.  It means that I'll have to travel there once a 8-9 days to cancel and restart my data plan.  Ugh.  

But my ping is much improved, as of course is my speed.  The ping is quite important too, but what I've found is the most of the latency is on the students end.  The tech platform has constant problems too.  Between the three I'm the most reliable.  

Anyway, I got all my shit figured out, so now it's just a matter seeing what I get paid.  (There's no way to calculate it.)

I'll only use the 4G for work, then use my hotel WIFI for entertainment. It's quite fast, but because it's shared you never when the upload is gonna kick out, causing major problems with the online teaching. For backup, I'll keep the 2.5G 512kpbs data package on my phone for traveling.  

I have internet coming out the ass.  So relieved to finally have the problem solved.  It's a fucking maze of mobile data plans and packages out there, and you need the right device.  My phone can't handle it.  You need a really modern phone if you want to use it as a 4G router to tether to your PC or use a mobile wifi hotspot.  The cheapest is like two hundred dollars.  Fuck that.  I bought the pocket wifi device from the the same company for 2000 baht, or roughly $66, and I'll be spending about $100 a month on data packages.  Sucky expensive, but I gotta do it to stay employed.
    The Angel of God

Post  The Angel of God on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:38 pm

RobertBlack wrote:My gf/ex gf has very fast wifi, and white walls. Will try and hook up with an agency to teach online next week. Maybe get a small whiteboard, and some good headphones.

It's good to have a break from England for a while. In winter one should live in a country that snows, not rains endlessly.

It is drier and better for health.

I recall those winters in Beijing, every day sunny, maybe the occasional day of snow.

Everyone complains about the arid climate, but I rather liked it.  Where I'm from there's a lot of precipitation, so I took as a luxury not to have to deal with rain constantly.  It also makes everything dusty and look like shit, but whatever.  It suited me just fine.

Those Beijng snowmen are pathetic.  They aren't even a meter high, and then they day after they're made they're covered in dark soot.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:25 am

so where are you now, RB?

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 am