Laid Bare!

105,588 word count

The Angel of God

105,588 word count

Post  The Angel of God on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

That's the word count after I typed the last sentence of my manuscript and dotted it with a period.

(SPOILER: The book doesn't end with a question mark or exclamation point.)

It's nice to finally be done with that step. They say writing your first novel isn't the hardest.  It's the second.

I found that to be totally true.  I wrote the manuscript for first novel in just a little over a month.  This one has taken me nearly two years!

Writing a book is so much GDM work, my god.

Now begins the incredibly tedious process of revision and editing.  Soooo exhausting.  I revised WOL once and proofed about 20 times and it still has errors in it.  

I'm also going to be adding more fluffy detail in the revision so the total word count should rise by another 10k or so.  Most authors are told to cut down on fluffy descriptive detail but I'm the opposite apparently and need to include more of it.  That's fine.  That's easier actually.

This novel is a mindfuck and I'm really proud of it. I've learned a hell of lot more about the craft in this process and gained a greater respect for other authors.  To write something as comphrensive and well plotted as my work takes an incredible amount of mental energy.  I'm not talking about being creative either.  I mean just keeping shit straight so you don't leave loose ends or have contradictory information in the story.  My story is about lies and plotting, so it's a highly convoluted narrative that's difficult as hell to put to paper.

I also kept up the alternating character perspectives, chapter by chapter.  There are four POVs in this work, and like book 1 I introduced a new one for the final chapter.  And, like book one, I set everything up for the next volume in the series.  Right there, I'm doing what a lot of authors can't.  Because I've got this thing so well planned, volume 1 foreshadows tons of stuff in volume 3 and everything throughout the series ties together elegantly in an epic storyline.  Yeah, I'm quite pleased with myself.

Now to get on with drudgery of revision.  At least I've got the cover knocked out.  That was like three days of f-ing around on the last one.  This time around I managed to put together a better one, all with royality free images in MS paint, cuz I'm too retarded to use photoshop.  geek It came out looking hella professional regardless.

Re: 105,588 word count

Post  The Angel of God on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:56 am

This is sooooo tedious. When people read a book they don't realize just how much fkn labor has gone into it. If I crank through I get the first light revision done in a few days. That's like going at it all day every day.

Then I'll just publish and get error corrects back from my beta readers, then update the file. That way I'm not spending a month on the f-ing thing.

I'm charging money for this bitch too. Twisted Evil

Now my mind is floating in the next volume, even as I fine tooth comb the one just rendered. I need the title at a minimum to include a preview for it at the end of volume 2.

I also have to do the promotional write ups and update volume 1 to link to volume 2.

And of course I have to get this bitch formatted, which I've mostly forgotten how to do. MS Word doesn't make anything easy. I don't know who designed that unintuitive POS application but he should be shot in the face with a tommy gun, repeatedly and redundantly.

Re: 105,588 word count

Post  The Angel of God on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 am

PUBLISHED!

I've been a marathon editing this bitch night and day.

I've included some original graphics in the book too.

Amazon KDP is so fkn clunky and antiquated anyone who's never used it would be shocked.

It our age of signing in through FB to website apps that can perform the functions of what used to require long software installs, KDP is a throwback. I guess when you're the industry standard there's no need to develop.

Psyched it's up. Two years of fits of starts to get to this point.

I'm going to publish a work of short stories soon too, probably for free.

Also thinking about a comedy novel where I can recycle a bunch of my crap from these boards.

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm