Laid Bare!

China pros and cons

Psioncy

China pros and cons

Post  Psioncy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Slowly, I'm sorting out the labyrinth.  I'm gonna be in rural China.  The town is substantial with a couple supermarkets and several dogmeat restaurants but nary a McD's, Pizza Slut, or Jenny Lou's in sight.  I'm also not expecting any sort of rocking expat nightlife scene.

I can live with all that cuz I want the year to be sane.  

Pros:  Hotpot, Salary, Free Apartment + Utilities, Scenery, light work hours, baijiu... with some possible op-poon-atunties.

Cons:  No western food, nobody to speak normal f-ing English with, no scene, lack of anonymity (Can't imagine they're used to seeing foreigners like in Beijing where I could go about doing whatever without everyone watching and commenting)

What the hell, I'll have internet.  That's really the most important thing, I feel.  In the US people have all these trappings, with the house and the yard and the vehicles and the this and the that.  For me, a private space with a bed, shower, and internet is not only fine, it's preferable to all that stress inducing BS.  

With the internet I have an endless library as well as audio, video, and interactive entertainment.  Not having youtube is gonna suck.  Should look into proxies before I leave.  Also no Google, FB, etc.   Rolling Eyes  Whatevs, I don't use FB for much except to communicate with certain people.  There are people now who only communicate over FB, really!  They don't even use email.   Rolling Eyes   Thailand was like that.  Most Thais just use phone messaging and nothing else.  So dumb.  Email allows people to respond in their own time. Email is thorough and leaves a record.  Email is civilized and effective.  This whole phone msging thing drives me nuts, especially when people are out doing stuff but they're not really doing anything cuz their writing dumb messages on their fun.  It's usually really, really, really dumb pointless stuff too.

In Beijing I'd put 50 kuai on my phone and use it for months.  There'd be some texts from work or coordinating with date or the like and that was it.  I didn't even have a smart phone.  In Thai I had one but I never so much as made or received a call on it. It also stopped working after a couple months and I couldn't get my money back.  FU Lenovo!

I get all my interneting in at home, and plenty of it.  I don't need it when I'm out.  When I'm out i'm OUT.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

eggraid

Re: China pros and cons

Post  eggraid on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:38 pm

You forgot that you will have to deal with shit employers & live with a population that has the mental time-spanning capability of a gold fish.

Chances are you're going to one of those 24h youth zombification camps, that parents send their kids to because it's the easiest way to squeeze some grades out of those pimply little bastards.
    So youre going to teach them oral English. None of them will talk because they're well into the process of becoming plants, solar paneled by the blue light of smart-phone screens, because thats all there is to do out there.

Rural China:
    Baijiu & internet.
    KFC
    An occasional biggoted security guard with poor physique
    Other foreign teachers. Probably 4 of them. One weirdo, two gap-year students and some retired old man, barely passing the medical exam due to low blood preassure.
    Chinese bars where you most likely will get beat up once you're drunk & loud enough.
    Pool tables on the side walk, where you can shoot and drink beer
    Shopping mall with lots of brand names in monkey english

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 am

I agree that the education system sucks the life-force out of Chinese students.  I know this because I've taught ALL levels, from kindergarten to retired people and everything in between.  The young ones are eager and creative.  Then the zombification starts in.

That gives me an opportunity to do something for them, develop their undervalued creative thinking skills through role play and creative writing.  I can show them humor and help them understand other cultures.  I can also help them to apply their knowledge with critical thinking skills.  While I can't undo all the damage wrought by their mind-numbing education system, but I can still do quite a lot for them.

This isn't a camp either.  It's a proper public school with decent funding.  It won't be as isolating as life here in the US.  There is nothing here.  It's a car culture and people get in their cars to go buy stuff and go home.  There's no social aspect to any of it.  I'll value time alone to work on my writing and keep feeding my mind with reading.  If there is another interesting expat to hang out with, cool, I'll do that.  If not, whatevs.

This town has NO KFC or anything of the sort.  I doubt there's much in the way of bars or whatnot either.  It does have beautiful ancient architecture and gorgeous mountain wilderness to explore.  Maybe I'll do some fishing.  Chinese don't know how to fish with a lure and reel.  I went to a Chinese stocked pond once where it was "all you can fish" and all these dudes were sitting around catching nothing cuz the fish were all overfed.  I put on some polarized glasses to spot the fish, who were sitting there like sleeping overfed cows, and dragged the lure past their heads.  It's their instinct to strike when that happens, so I was pulling fish after fish after fish outta there while everyone else was catching zilch with their Chinese bait and bobber BS.  I was catching a fish with every single cast. I attracted quite a lot of attention and before long the park manager took all my fish and kicked me out.  lol!

I'm killer good at fishing, and I'm gonna have a nice pristine river to pluck 'em from.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 am

It's gonna beat being here, cuz here there are no jobs and everything is f-ing impossible. And with the political/cultural turmoil within the US I don't see the situation getting any better. You're either a have or a have not, and if you're a have not, you're *lucky* to get one of the shitty minimum wage part times jobs with no health insurance out there. And once you do, there's no quitting, no matter how shittily you're treated. It's basically feudalism, except with the added stress of being forced to pretend like it's not feudalism.

In China I'll be making 12k with a free private apartment and low working hours. It's not great, but it's a lot better than here. Here everything is expensive and opportunities are non-existent. This way I'll be able to save some money then move onto someplace more interesting, maybe back to Beijing or Bangkok. I'll also have time to finish penning my series. The only reason that last book took so long to finish was because I was constantly distracted by the stress of basic survival. It's hard to be creative when you're on the precipice of disaster constantly, living by a thread.

My situation sucks and the only way out of it is to earn money, which I can't do here. Once I have enough I might buy a place back in Thai or Cambodia, where I can afford it. I'd like to make a living with the writing, but barring that, I'm trying to get into transcription to back up my teaching work. China is not a long-term option, I know that, but neither is my home country. I'm basically a refugee.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:30 am

I'd ask Sweden to take me in, but I'm fairly certain I'd be rejected because of my skin color.

Which is exacerbated by my lack of willingness to rape and commit terrorism and conquer Europe for the Caliphate.  Those are prerequisites for getting into your country, I realize.

Sorry I'm not swarthy enough for you, super-racist Sweden.  monkey

Rolling Eyes

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 am

The alt-right were talking about a system collapse coming with allt the refugees from syria. I'm still waiting for that collapse.

They're not taking anymore afghans now as migrations is not defining it as a warzone. Maybe they're giving you a shot?

Seriously though. Im not a fan of identity politics and im sick of hearing about priviliges tbh. I hear excuses from leftists all the time, explaining why they couldnt make it, saying they were born " working class" and didnt have this or that privilage, which they use as an excuse to remain in some dead-end job and being a "victim". Then i tell them and i get sneezed of for being "middle class" and thereby arrogant. I really do despise the alt-left. I like the mainstream labour-union type of leftists, who want higher salaries, work conditions and sp forth. The identity politics and slef-proclaimed victimhood bs can go suck it.

About the book. Yes, i truly believe that comes out of boredom. Youve all settled and then it's like - what now then? That's when you start make stuff up on your own. Much of my drawing starts like that.

Wouldnt it be possible to buy a house on the chinese country-side? Commute to work with a car or motorcycle, then just have this house were you grow melons and shit?

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:39 am

That way, you also minimize interactions with people who gets on your nerves. Downside is that there are no bars
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:54 am

You can buy property in China but there's no guarantee you'll always have a visa to live on it.  I'm only one naval incident away from deportation or getting beaten in the streets.  Can't own a business, etc.

I'm fine with unions, but I've never known the benefit of one.  There's no way in.  We've got working poor in America living in cars and tents and working full time jobs.  I'd align with you mostly otherwise, but the shit here is ridiculous.  It's not "whining" about no opportunity.  There are those who do that, but there are also throngs of working poor struggling paycheck to paycheck.  It's rigged so there is no no way to get into anything stable/livable.  So from that perspective, people see government workers and union workers as the "elite" even though they are just middle class.  From the bottom, people with the basics in place are rich beyond imagining.  Also that middle management serves the elites by repressing the lower ranks, and so on.  It all depends on where you stand in the economic heirarchy.  Sweden is a little better (and europe in general) because they recognize some the basic needs of humans and regulate that way.  In America, if you're not a minority, it's "fuck you" all the way to the grave.  That said, Europe is in major trouble.   The proverbial frog being slowly boiled one degree by one degree at time.  Rape is now accepted.  Terrorism more accepted, as you get more of it.  All it justified and the root cause never addressed.  If you're not in the much yet it's hard to see the perspective of those who are, but it'll reach you in time.  It's global jihad and they have their sights set on Europe.  This isn't bigotry speaking either, it's their own words on the matter.

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:58 am