Laid Bare!

A prayer: Hurricane Irma vs my internet

Psioncy

Re: A prayer: Hurricane Irma vs my internet

Post  Psioncy on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:44 am

Our relationship is fine.  My dad's a good man.  I'm just sick of seeing him every day cuz I'm adapted to living alone. Thought I'd just be back here for a month or so but it's turned into much longer waiting on this fkn visa. Driving me batshit.

It got pretty hairy last night.  Power went out soon after my last post here and it still ain't back.  Internet just came back about 20 minutes ago.

The roads are a mess and all that jazz, fuckloads of big trees down. There's just some minor damage to this property, nothing serious.  Not nearly as bad as we were prepared for.  But... better to overprepare than underprepare, right?

My sister headed to New England to get away from Irma, now they're predicting Jose will hit there.  lol!

This shit is nothing to us. The coast of Maine gets all kinds of horrendous Nor'easters, power outages, etc.  

I know this. If I ever relocate permanently to Florida, I'm building a concrete dome.  That way there's no roof to deal with.  Everybody with their fancy, elaborate yard setups are cleaning shit up today and taking inventory of all the damage.

My house will be a concrete dome surrounded by gravel.  No grass to mow, no roof to fix, no weather conditions to sweat.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:52 am

you're alive!

good.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 am

Yeah, everybody here's talking about bad it was, but compared to the weather where I'm from it wasn't shit.  Most of the damage here was falling trees and low areas getting flooded, so you know, don't live in a flood zone or under a giant tree.  geek

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

did the govt over-react in telling everyone to evacuate?

did they deliberately cause unnecessary panic?

i thought it would be much worse based on CNN.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am

Yeah, the mass evacuations were overkill. The Keys needed it, but the rest of the population should have just sucked it up at a shelter for a night.

Now nobody can get back into Florida. 95 is at a standstill traffic w/ cars running out of gas cuz there ain't no gas to be had here.

They're saying we won't get power back for another 4-5 days. My internet comes and goes. I just got on for the first time in 24 hours. Basically I start up the generator, make some egg muffins in the dark in a toaster that takes 10 minutes to toast an English muffin and a microwave that takes 8 minutes to cook an egg from the low generator voltage. Then I eat that undercooked gross shit in front of the computer since the monitor is light source and hope I can get my email checked. The rest of the day is literally doing NOTHING.

The gas stations here are closed. The supermarket is open but it's nearly empty. Their generators couldn't keep their freezer going so they had to toss all their frozen food.

In a world that worked, they would have invited the whole town to bring their grilles over to the parking lot and cook that shit up. Instead it just gets tossed out for liability reasons, in a region with no basic supplies.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:08 pm

apparently one quarter of homes in the keys were destroyed.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 am

Yeah well big deal.  I had to go with nearly no internet for four days eating undercooked egg muffins and bagels.  Nothing but breakfast food.  It was awful.

(I discovered that chopped pickled jalapenos mixed into cream cheese is fabulous.)

At least those people with waves crashing up against their houses weren't BORED like I was.  Rolling Eyes

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:40 am