Laid Bare!

Night Shift

The Great Splendini

Night Shift

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 am

Got a shit job.

It's a night shift job.

Beats being broke.

Anyone here ever work the night shift on a regular basis?

Is it bad for health? Impossible for the body to adjust?

Does it fuck up the chance of any kind of normal waking life?

The Great Splendini

Re: Night Shift

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:46 am

when the lights go down in the cit-ey

my new theme song.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 am

does it fuck up your circadian rhythms and shit?

all the weirdos and vampires come out at night.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:45 am

I like being up til 3 or 4 am and sleeping til noon, but it seems 'abnormal' to stay up ALL night.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:20 pm

I mainly worked night jobs before going to China, doing dock work and logistics.  I prefer it.  In China I worked afternoon/evening.  In Thai over the last year I worked 4-9 PM most days give or take.  I naturally revert to a night schedule on my own anyway.  

I don't see what difference it makes.  The night is better.  Daytime is blaring sun, activity, and traffic.

Rush hours exist cuz everyone has to do everything together at the same time.  Go to work, each lunch, go on vacation.  It's a clusterfuck.  I live my life in the off times.  If a restaurant is always slammed at lunch and dinner, I go between those times and the like. Working weekends, holidays? NP. What do I need to go out on the weekend for? Just cuz most everyone else is? I can go to that same park/restaurant/club/activity on a weekday. Plus services are closed on the weekdays. How can anyone ever get to the bank when their working hours and days off are almost exactly the same as the bank's?

I can adjust my schedule to anything.  I've lived alone so long, the time of day makes no difference to me.  I'm not thinking in terms of meal times and bed times and all that jazz.  Meal time is when I'm hungry.  Bed time is when I'm tired.

You're lucky to get a shit job.  Here even the shit jobs are coveted, and you'll be expected to eat all kinds of shit to keep it.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:31 pm

The daytime is fine for sleeping if you can achieve darkness and quietude.

I use earplugs as required.

The thing that sucks about being a night person is that day people think nothing of waking you up in the middle of your sleep.  They'll fucking pound on your door and be irritated that you're groggy.  Unemployed as I am now I don't care, but at those hard-ass night jobs I used to work, I was dispening out a lot of "fuck yous" to people who couldn't understand the concept.

People who've worked the same job with the same hours in the same place for decades.  I can't relate at all.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm completely untethered. I adjust my free time around my work schedule and that's it. Otherwise, nothing matters. There are so many people here who follow a strict routine like robots. Everything has its time and place. They'll even eat the same foods at the same time daily.

Hell, I can wake up in the morning just as well as any other time of the day. I can get up at 4 AM and eat a pizza while I get slammed on vodka. Doesn't matter to me, so long as I ain't got other shit to do.

Watching a movie at 7 AM is no different to me than watching one at 7 PM or any other time of the day.

This business of routine and rules is for people with families, when you have to coordinate with others. The way I see is that I only have to coordinate with my work schedule. I'm living in permanent bachelorhood so other than that the rules don't apply to me. cheers

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:53 pm

This is what I'm thinking, especially after this hurricane wreaked so much havoc here.

They have these concrete fabric bunkers that can go up in like a day and are very cheap as shells.  There's no roof to worry about and insulation is a non-issue.  Horrific weather is not a problem so long as you're high enough.  

So put that bunker down and spread gravel out so there's no lawn to mow.  Then run deep cycle batteries off of solar and be off grid.  Think about it, what do you really need the power company for if you live sane.  

M'fkrs around here were running their supergenerators around the clock after Irma.  Why?  So they could use their central AC and dryers and shit.  Ridiculous.  

Lighting (LED), air circulation, mini-fridge, and my PC are all I need power for.  Oven can run off propane.  

I could easily live off solar panels.  No phone line either.  I'll go with mobile or satellite internet.  

Really, I think the way people live here is ridiculous.  They spend a fortune at the supermarket on CRAP.  Dollar for dollar, you can eat very well here cheaper than other countries, except that no one does.  My neighbor spent $17,000 on a generator system for her house.  After Irma she ran it for three days, and had all her shit working full force.  But, christ, come on!  That's once or twice a decade you need that.  It would be cheaper to take the money she spent on the generator and fly off for exotic holidays at fine hotels at the first sign of a hurricane.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm

how did we get from night shift to generators?

other issues:

does it fuck with your body or what?

i googled night shift and there was a shitload of articles about how it's related to all kinds of illnesess.

but i find it hard to believe.

maybe the powers that be don't want too many people breaking away from the zombie 9 to 5 routines, so they're making it seem much worse than it actually is?

it's so much quieter at night. you can actually fucking THINK way more clearly.

but again, i would prefer to call it quits at 3-4 am. those extra hours might be tough.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 am

You've moved and adjusted from opposite sides of the world, where day is night and night is day.  There's no difference. Humans are considered diurnal because we don't have the best night vision. Back before electrical lighting, most people didn't do much at night because it was completely dark.  That's not the case any more.  But even in prehistory people had fired and maintained night schedules, since most predatory animals are nocturnal.  The forest that seems so placid in daylight Humans are incredibly adaptable, able to adjust to almost any situation, climate, diet, schedule, etc.  People cling to routine, but some of us haven't known stability and needed to adapt and found we could.  You don't cross a desert in daylight.  In hot desert places people often go on night schedules and sleep off the brutal daylight under dark, insulated shade. Look at cats.  They are considered nocturnal.  I think it's true because I'm nocturnal and every night they come and visit me.  But they can be diurnal or whateverurnal, just sleeping whenever. Humans are the most adaptable life form because we can change our environment.  We can make light, heat, etc.  There are people who can free dive for five minutes with no equipment.  There are humans who live at very high altitudes, marshes, tundras, arctic conditions, etc.  Prior to the 19 and 20th Century tech boom, humans already inhabited the far corners of the Earth's surface.  Now we've got people living year round in Antarctica.  Granted that wouldn't work without tech, but besides the poles homo sapien has managed to survive everywhere on planet.  We can't live long underwater or in space with massive tech, but otherwise we're the numero uno most adaptable advanced species on the planet.  Adjusting to a night schedule? Anyone can do it. It's just that a lot of people have a mental block due to ingrained standards, clinging to familiarity. Not having much in the way of standards myself, to me it's child's play.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:22 am

A 24 hour society would do wonders for the economy. Rural America is so fkn boring. Everything shuts down completely for the night time, most cities too except for entertainment districts. All this is because we've been instilled with a perception that we must live on a day schedule and all do everything at the same time like a bunch of lemmings. Why? We could run shit 24 hours. The area I lived in Bangkok was sorta like that. It lulled a bit in the wee hours, like from 4-6 AM, but even then there was still plenty of activity.

Here in Florida people were leaving the state for the hurricane, leaving in the morning like a bunch of lemmings and joining all the other lemmings at the same time and creating a traffic clusteerfuck. I drove from central FL to New England in no time because I did it at night when there was no traffic and I cruised at 80 mph nearly the whole way.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:23 am

A 24 hour society would double the economy... overnight. (pun inherent.)

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 am

yeah, i just saw 4 cats on my walk home as it got dark.

ok, if you say so.

i read that some ancestors anyway split up their schedules. they didn't sleep 8 hours straight. they slept 8 hours within a 24 hour period, but maybe split it up into 2 4-hour naps, sleeping only partly at night.

or something.

so if it's not harmful to the body, why all the negative doom and gloom medical articles about how it's associated to death? conspiracy to keep everyone in the 9 to 5 routine?

the economy wouldn't double because half the day time people wouldn't be doing anything during the day.

also, one thing that makes the night cool is the quietness. if there were too many people up at night, it wouldn't be the same.

i think i could actually get some creative shit done at night. but most of the fucking jobs i've had have required me to wake up really early.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:39 am

Night shift massively fucks with your brain. Do it for a year or so, but not any longer.
    Should be good pay though?

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 pm

eggraid wrote:Night shift massively fucks with your brain. Do it for a year or so, but not any longer.
    Should be good pay though?

Yeah, I knew I shouldn't have listened to Sciency's bullshit.

After my last shift, I was having strange heart palpitations. And my brain started to feel fucked up too.

But the heart palpitations might also be somewhat related to the death threat. Not sure.

But I was starting to feel fucked up.

One girl at work claims her brother had a heart attack because he worked night shift for a few years.

There are a lot of studies that link night shift to health problems.

But I was feeling fucked up. You don't know when the sleep, eat or shit on your days off.

No, the pay wasn't that great.

Night shift fuckedupness + Death Threat + Being around criminals + Not that great pay = SAYONARA

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Oh ... what else?

I met a Chinese girl. Her mother was a TCM doctor. She told her not to become a doctor because you have to work nights.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:19 am

What kind of place hires those kinds of people without firing them?
    I know through my work that the factories here fires people within 2-3 months, mostly due to poor attitude and discipline problems. The union mostly supports it.
    i had one guy being an ass to me while i was working on the floor. Not sure of this was due to the company's past experience with him or not, but i took it with the shift leader and explained how the guy was actiing against work place policies, through his assholery and trying to force me to do his work. Two days later my i asked my shift leader who told me "he quit". Make a fuzz about it and try to involve the union if you have one.

If you walk into a place like that and youre somewhat smart and got some brains, youre bound to be promoted.

A chinese girl eh? Youre having more luck than me. Think ive dated atleast 5 girls lately, all of which didnt work out for one or another reason. The last two ones were like virgins in bed. Fucking horrible. You fuck a 30+ year old woman and feel like a paedophile.
    I have one girl lined up, atleast shes good in bed. Shes a stage worker and says she's "on tour" with connotations to "im on tour with my band", which really means shes plugging in guitars and adjusts sound levels.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:29 am

No, these people don't work there.

They're people who visit the place.

I would have to tell you what kind of place it was.

But I don't want to reveal too much about myself on a forum.

Maybe I over-reacted.

But in China, I taught at a police school and a few of the students were threatening me. I ignored it, but it happened more than once. So I didn't want to go through that kind of shit again.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Why did the students threaten you? Never heard of stuff like that happend. You refused to give them more erasers or something?

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:17 am