Laid Bare!

China: The Returnening

Psioncy

China: The Returnening

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Was supposed to start end of August. Now here it is the end of October.

I won't get into the all the shocking incompetence and red-tape bullshit behind all the delays. I was johnny-on-the-spot with everything at every step. Pi had very similar issues, I recall. Now he says he's taken a job at home. Not me. I've held fast right here with my thumb up my ass doing fuck-all waiting on this job.

I've got a work permit now. All that's left is wait for my visa to come back and them to book my ticket. The school wants to get me there in the next couple of weeks. After all this waiting-around nothing-doing, it's gonna be a jolt to my system to suddenly be working again. Fortunately I'm only contracted for 18 teaching hours a week and no office hours, so it won't be as rough as, say, jumping into a 40 hour grind. F-that. And Spring Festival holiday will be here before I know it.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Re: China: The Returnening

Post  Psioncy on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Online teaching sucks.  My last job I was working an evershifting 7 day a week schedule and making unstable shit money for my efforts.

With this job I'll be making considerably more while working far fewer hours and have my rent and holidays paid.

It doesn't pay as much as Beijing, but shit, come on.  In Beijing they'd be working me a lot of extra hours and my rent would engulf the difference.  Plus the stress of apartment hunting and dealing with utilities and such really sucked.  At his place, I won't have to sweat any of that.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:42 am

Holy f-ing shit.  I just got my passport with my entry visa back today.  The agent wants to fly me out in a few days.

I came back to the US in May and accepted this job in early June.  It has been nothing but bullshit with the paperwork since, delay after delay after incompetent fuck up (theirs) after delay.  Most recently it was the Chinese holiday and then the government meeting, as though they can't anticipate holidays.  Rolling Eyes

It's like Pi said, they do this shit for a living, but still manage to drop the ball on basic stuff like they're doing it for the first time.  I'm paying this chinese agent here lots of money for processing stuff and he won't even give me email confirmations.  I had to wait to get my f-ing passport back today to confirm the visa was in it cuz he couldn't be bothered to send me a msg.  Rolling Eyes

I've spent at least $1000 USD on this bullshit... all the while having NO INCOME because of the delays.  

Just dumped another $100 into a VPN subscription cuz I'm not going to live without YouTube, and some of my important contacts, like my daughter, only communicate via FaceBook.  I mention e-mail and she's like "e-what? hahaha."  Well, no, she knows what e-mail is but they don't use it anymore.  I guess it's an old fogey thing now.   Rolling Eyes

Sheesh, I want to just post soooooooo many eyerolls about everything.   Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

They want me to start ASAP but they're looking at these cheap tickets.  My travel time from this house to the school will be in excess of 40 hours, so I  told them I'm gonna need a couple days just to recover.  They can't dump a bunch of work on me immediately.  Plus I got two pics of the apartment and it looks ok but rather bare-bones, which means I'll probably need to clean and buy a mop and bedding and that kind of shit.  Plus get at least a night of drunking in.  Cheap ass baijiu/yaojiu sounds great to me.  I actually like it better than the cheap-ass vodka here or the nasty, nasty Thai spirits I was into.  I've barely drank for months, which is no way to live.   Mad

No poon neither.  Pls Gawd let there just be one decent female coworker in my building that stops by for booty calls.  That's all I ask. Sure, a weekly rotating poon buffet of 4-5 would be ideal, but I'm only ask for one here.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 am

Holy Fuck. After five months of waiting and bullshit, I get the visa. Now they're talking about booking my flight for the day after tomorrow.

I'm so adapted to sitting on my ass doing fuck-all, this is gonna be a severe shock to my system. I guess I better start like... packing or whatever. I don't know. I just ate an entire pizza and I'm feeling sluggish. Lost weight in Thailand and then got fat again doing fucking nothing here in LIMBO for near on half a year.

I mean, I've been doing a lot, in my MMORPG. I grandmastered some pretty serious martial skills, like archery, fencing, bushido, parrying, and chivalry. That's all taken weeks of intensive training to accomplish. It's a lot a mouse clicking, which, ironically, keeps my fat ass seated firmly in place. It *feels* like I'm getting a lot of exercise running around slaying all those dragons, but the effect is actually opposite of exercise.

On a plane in 2-3 days? Fuck. I can't cope. That's mean I have to *do* stuff.

I hate "doing" stuff. It just begets more doing. Rolling Eyes

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am

Oh God I just realized once I'm there they're going to make me *work.* I mean, I already knew that but it just hit me. Fuuuuuuck.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 am

Unbereavable! I got the visa back on Friday and they booked my ticket for Sunday morning, 12 hours from now.

It was a clusterfuck of them figuring out how to get me there domestically tho. So basically they decided to fly me to Beijing, where I will stay for indeterminate amount of time with hotel paid (probably very brief) while they arrange travel to my school. I told them fine, keep me in Beijing as long as you want. Cuz the place I'm going is going to be boring as fuck and Beijing is like my home. Beijing is by far the longest I've lived anywhere in my entire life.

If I get the chance I'll get all pounded on jingjiu in Beijing and do a podcast. drunken

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:32 am

Such an anthology of crazy adventures I've had in Beijing, I can't even remember them all.

But, alas, I'm going to be in a township watching grass grow with nary a nightclub or burger joint in sight.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:35 am

BTW Pi, they never asked for the extra CELTA documentation like what fucked your visa up. I got the work permit and the entry visa with just the degree, record check, medical check, and CELTA. Maybe it depends on the province, dunno.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:23 pm

So now you are a white slave owned by the chinese then?
    You have become a white esl-slave.
    You go classroom now! Wok all hours! I pay you, you wok! I am boss you are foreginer!
    No like china you can go you home country!

I suppose we will be hearing about your squandering with the you new employer in the near future - much to my satisfaction, your racism will grow in pace with your day-to-day conflicts with the local population, infused with alcohol ofcourse Smile
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:07 am

It's better than being a white slave here, where, if you can even get a job, they work non-stop with no benefits all to earn an unlivable salary, taxing you and pointing the finger down at you the entire time. Fuck that noise. The USA is a slave program.

18-20 teaching hours with NO OFFICE HOURS doesn't sound that slavey to me. Plus free apartment, high speed internet, utilities, and (I just found out) food! The food probably sucks but whatevs, I'll scarf it down for one meal a day.

So I'll be making sweeter money than I could in the rural USA slave program for way less hours. And I'll have virtually nothing to spend the money on, aside from smokes and hooch and all my vices, but those are cheap as dirt to indulge there.

I'm en route to Beijing now. When I arrived here at the connection I thought about going out for a smoke, but I didn't want to deal with going through f-ing security again. That TSA shit is sooooo orwellian and took forever this morning, so I'm just chewing on enough tobacco at the gate to stave off the nic-fit. Thought about buying booze but it's Sunday so the shops aint' selling it.

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:36 am