Laid Bare!

OMG The Chinese are driving me crazy

Psioncy

OMG The Chinese are driving me crazy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 am

Like fucking batshit crazy. I think the people here are much nicer than beijingren, but they are still making insane with all their bullshit. Apparently I'm only the second foreign teacher they've ever had. Last one quit. The shit that was supposed to be ready for my arrival was not ready. I won't go through the list of complaints because it would be long. Suffice to say, everything in this place is ridiculous and unnecessarily complicated.

Take a deep breath. Ahhhhhhh..... I'll get this shit sorted. There is one woman assigned to me here and she speaks some English and we've become pretty good friends. The school itself, my coworkers and admininisters are well-meaning at least.

There is not even a MOTHERFUCKING STORE HERE. I'm not kidding. NO. FUCKING. STORE.

Not even a ma and pa little fucking store. There are aparment buildings and lots of people but not a single store or restaurant. Really nothing. It doesn't even make sense. The school has a cafeteria which makes some really good local vegetable dishes to eat with rice, but there's NO MEAT. I'm serious. There is no meat in the dishes. I can't cook cuz one of the things they forgot to prepare for me was a m'fkn kitchen. I can get to a supermarket, but it requires calling my coworker and arranging a car and walking down a mountainside and whole fucking three ring circus production to get to a motherfucking supermarket. I could live with that if there were ANY OTHER STORES. How can there not be fucking stores? There's lots of people living here yet NOT ONE MOTHERUCKING STORE. WTF!!!!!!!!

Fuuuuuck. I have to get to the cafeteria to eat my gdm vegetarian breakfast.

I AM NOT A MOTHERFUCKING VEGETARIAN.

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Re: OMG The Chinese are driving me crazy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:28 am

They talk and talk and talk, and you're already six steps beyond them and have told them the obvious solution, yet on and on and on they go.

They had months to prepare for my arrival but I don't have basic shit. The room has all kinds of problems. Supposedly I'm getting this actual apartment I was supposed to get when I arrived here in two months. What the problem is? Oh, the building is still being *built.*

So much shit with workers in the room constantly since I got here. The whole place is afro-engineered on a level I've never seen.

I mean the moment I got off the plane I lost my shit in the parking lot because of this. When I said, "Ok, let's go to the apartment," they were like "ummmmmmm.... errrrr......" and I was like "What? What!" but really I already knew.

What a clusterfuck of miscommunication and difficulties with the most basic things. My students are senior high students but their English is at a (low) primary level. I want to make the best out the work part of my job even though I'm still pissed about the living conditions. The two things do kinda bleed into each other.

....Holy shit. Now I just got good news. I'm contracted for 20 teaching hours and no office hours. I've been waiting for the schedule. I just heard back, and get this....

I'm on a long term schedule set for.... 10 lessons a week. These are 40 minutes lessons.

Now I don't know what to think. I'm so frustrated to fucking hell with them, but now I found out I'm making a full salary to teach ten 40-minute lessons each week? That is extremely sweet.

All I know is that I'm traveling to that supermarket today even if have to scale the mountains on foot. i'm out of smokes and I need MEAT. That supermarket has rou bing and stuff like that. Plus liquor and everything else. I'm just gonna lock myself in this room with a bunch of food and booze for an entire day and a half. I'm not setting foot out there to go the dining hall or the office or anywhere. I'm gonna just sit here in this isolated room watching cartoons and drinking and fucking off for a good 24-36 hours without setting foot out there into that chaos. I'll tell them not to bug me because it's Sunday and I'm religious and have to pray and stuff. Really I'm ordering that girl NOT ONE PERSON TO MY ROOM FOR ANY REASON. I'm locking the f-ing door and putting in earplugs. Well, she can come. She's the only one I like to be around, probably cuz she's lived in major cities and speaks English and such. We really connect I found. Not romantically. She's married with a baby so that's not even a consideration. But still it's nice to have someone I like being around. That's quite rare. I can't stand being around nearly anyone. I think this backwater stuff gets to her too so she likes hanging out with me. We talk for hours.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 am

The town is actually not so far. Looking at it on google earth it looked like no problem to get from the school to the town. Problem is it's all up and down mountain peaks. That wasn't so clear from the satellite images. Also the road conditions are very rough, completely tore up in some places.

I think with a good strong e-bike though I could do runs into town and back. The town's got a supermarket and restaurants and STORES and all that shit. It's also kind of a quaint place, very chinese and old and built on hillsides. They also have some really old Chinese stuff out here. Again, I thought I could just walk to it but I underestimated how steep and mountainy this shit would be. Yeah, I need an apartment and a BIKE. The 10 teaching hours a week thing takes the edge off the roughness of it all, but still to have any kind of a life I will need a bike... so I can cook some decent food. I think with the new apartment and the transportation I'll feel settled in. For the pay, the hours can't be beat. Shit, Beijing jobs pay a few k more than this but they want you teaching 30 lessons a week and putting in office hours. I have no office hours sides what I choose to put in. I do have an office with a modern PC and all that, but the Chinese teachers are loud I don't think I can get much done in there. I don't hold it against them, it's just how they are. The dudes offer me cigarettes and smoke in the office, but I won't. I'm not smoking anywhere the students can see me, which is pretty much everywhere except my room. So I'll just smoke here and nowhere else.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 am

Oh after all this stuff with the school apartment and this room and all the bullshit, my friend told me how much she pays for a private two bedroom apartment right next to the school.

Get this.  600 RMB a month.

I did a double take and made her repeat a couple times cuz I couldnt' believe it.

But the school didn't rent me an outside apartment (as I was promised) before I came because 1.  they thought I would be happier on the campus (with all the f-ing students running around)  Rolling Eyes   and 2.  it would be dangerous for me live outside the school.  

Number two is exceptionally absurd.  This place is not in any way dangerous, people wise.  Road wise, yes.  The simple bumpkins out here are clearly harmless and ain't gonna stab me or anything like that.  For more likely to be attacked in Beijing or elsewhere.  

I was just like, "Shit, I could pay the rent of my salary.  But really, I'm jsut so exhausted from dealing these housing issues for the past three days, I'm sucking it up and waiting to get the school apartment, which will be separated from the dorm areas and brand spanking new.  I'll suck it up here for a couple months, then move into new place and buy a kickass bike.

Cuz living here and going to the vegetarian cafeteria on schedule for every meal is some communal shit and does not feel like a "life," which is something I am in desperate need of having.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am

You'd think me, of all people, would be prepared for anything but a bunch of stuff here still managed to catch me off guard. There's a second FT coming in this week, we'll see if he holds up.

If he's like "la la la la Everything is wonderful here!" I'm going to punch him in the f-ing face.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 am

Sounds like one of those prison schools. Ive been in one too. Im telling you, once you leave it takes time realize youre actually free.

. Its obvious why the last teacher left and why they paid for your airfare, arranged your visa and all that. Who would ever want to live out there? Great to know youre lovin`it in China.

The talk about it being to dangerous for you to elsewhere is really just an excuse for not getting you an apartment, either because they failed, because they dont want to or because they want to keep you in—check.

What you get to look forward to is the new foreign teachers face when he arrives there. Youre gonna be stuck with each other. Maybe youll punch each others faces in after too many shots of baijiu. Maybe hes a leftie who just arrived to china, thinking that no culture is better than the other, or one of these guys who wants to go ”all chinese”. Chances are big that one of you guys are going to pull a runner too. Waiting to see who its gonna be.

Speaking of baijiu. Baijiu is actually nice. Atleast youve got that. If he were in china, that would be one of the first things id do.

Is it far up north? I heard the people up there are a bit more rowdy than rest of china. Sounds more fun to me. Get a taxi or bus or something to that town, find a bar and get dead with some locals. Something is bound to happend.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 am

The other FT is coming today, he's been stuck in Shenzhen for three days unable to get a train for some reason.  South African dude.  Yeah, we're kinda forced into being pals by these circumstances.  I hope his chinese is not better than mine cuz it will make me feel stupid.

I don't think they're totally lying about the apartment.  There is a building under construction.  In fact, I don't think they're lying to me at all.  That was my recruiting agent, who does not work in Guizhou at all.  The people here are really quite nice, for the most part.  And honest, which is coming as quite a shock.

It's a pain in the ass but I can get to town whenever.  They just tried to over-coddle me like a FOB.  The working hours are incredible light so I can't really complain.  The inconvenience of a getting to civilization is not such a bad thing for me.  I bought liquor yesterday and when it was gone it was gone with no way to get more.  That's a good thing for me.  I tried a little of the local hooch while waiting at the train station yesterday.  The local stuff is actually far pricier than the standard chinese hooch, as this is the land of Moutai and other high end Chinese liquors.  You go in the store and all the bottles cost thousands of yuan.  Some over 10,000.  I just bought a very tiny bottle to try it.  Then I got back here I bought some jingjiu, all about the same price as everywhere else.

I spent the last two days traveling by rail to the capital, Guiyang, over the mountaintops by train.  This land is incredibly beautiful.  It's all mountaintops and valleys covered in fog, very lush even in this colder weather.  I'm pretty far south China wise, but the high elevation keeps things cooler here.

My Chinese is coming back and gaining by leaps and bounds.  They speak four languages here.  The local minority dialect isn't Chinese at all but a totally different language.  Everyone understands Mandarin though, even if they won't answer in it.  Some get confused by me because I apparently I have a Beijing accent.  I didn't even realize that until now.

Because it's all in the mountains, this is one of the less "developed" regions of China.  They still build with wood here, which I think is awesome.  The infrastructure is well developed.  I traveled hundreds of kilometers by train all over jagged mountain terrain on a high speed rail yesterday.

I think if more people knew how nice this place is it would soon develop a thriving tourist industry.  I've been to town a bunch of times and traveled to the capital and back over the past couple days and I have only seen one other foreigner, and that was at the government department office for foreigners in the capital.  Guiyang is a huge city, clean and modern.  My hotel room there was immaculate.  Beautiful too.  The cityscape is broken up by lush green peaks poking up all around it.

Last edited by Psioncy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am

eggraid wrote:

Speaking of baijiu. Baijiu is actually nice. Atleast youve got that. If he were in china, that would be one of the first things id do.

I drank some of the fancy local Baijiu at the train station yesterday. At first I didn't like the taste, but it grew on me after a few sips. Baijiu is serious business in Guizhou, an important part of their economy. It's not just Moutai, there's a lot of high end brands produced here the sell for big money, to be gifted or drank with Chinese bigwigs nationwide. I could only afford the sample bottle of the very cheapest brand in the store. In the Moutai store I could afford nothing. One bottle there was selling for 10,000 yuan. One of my coworkers is a local minority and she says she's going to hook me up with their special hooch that's only made by this minority in this valley. If that works for me, I'll start going with it. Hell, I bet I could sell that shit on ebay for them for huge markups. I have a history of drinking dirt cheap shit baijiu, but now that I'm living in the most renowned baijiu country in China and have nothing else to spend my money, I think I'll up my taste and become a baijiu connoisseur. Maybe even go the beijing and get all snobby about it. That would also be a hella fun thing to do while drinking it.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 am

eggraid wrote:

Is it far up north? I heard the people up there are a bit more rowdy than rest of china. Sounds more fun to me. Get a taxi or bus or something to that town, find a bar and get dead with some locals. Something is bound to happend.

Guizhou is kinda like more southwesterny central China.  I'm closer to Bangkok than I am Beijing here.  Everywhere is an elevated plateau within old mountain peaks.  A land of valleys and peaks that is all very lush from the mists and 99% uninhabited.  That's how they got all these minorities here that have their own entire languages not connected to chinese at all.  The locals are not rowdy, quite the opposite.  People here are very laid back, friendly, and polite.  Guizhou is really a nice place, and one of the prettiest I've ever seen.  A lot of the hillsides are terraced from way back whenever, and they also build these massive rebar and concrete lattices around the mountains, like a net to hold them in, cuz they're rather moundy and crumbly.  The terraced ones don't need it.

Last edited by Psioncy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm

The capital, Guiyang, puts Beijing to shame.  Not only is it gorgeous like everywhere is, it's one of the cleanest and most orderly cities I've ever seen.  That really surprised me because I was expecting it to be a shit heap.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I won't be the one pulling the runner.  I'm super committed to this job cuz it's the only one I've got and it's not like I can afford to leave ATM anyway.  If the other dude has problems, I'll try to help him out.  He's definitely got some problem with trains cuz he was supposed to come here four or five days ago, but his tickets keep changing.  No idea why.  It's not like it's a golden week.  We just bought our tickets for my trip directly at the train station when we got there, same with the hotel, no reservations.  He has studied in Beijing before they told me, so I imagine he can handle things. Unless it was like rich kid study in gated compound kind of thing, in which case he'll be in for a rude awakening.  I'm going to meet him later and go out for dinner.  Hopefully it's pizza.  Apparently there's a pizza place in town.  I'm pretty sure it'll be super sucky chinese pizza but I'm still craving it hard.  There're no franchises here anywhere.  No pizza hut, kfc, mcds, none of that crap.  Didn't see a one in Guiyang either.

eggraid

Post  eggraid on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 am

My guess is that he is 24 years old and used to live in wudaoku, studying Chinese and now going back to china to get a ”career going”.
    Give him a good warning or he may end up like you and pi
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 am

End up like me? Hey man, let me tell you something. I am full-time employed with free housing to work 10 hours a week. I have nearly as much time to f-off as I did during all that unemployment, cept the dif is that I'm getting paid decent money it. The money I'm making here is significantly more than I would make in the American Slavery Program. And again, my housing is covered.

Yeah, the new guy was a bubble boy. No chinese at all. I took him to town to buy supplies, and he was like "where are the corn flakes?" and I was like, "Ain't no cornflakes around here bub." He was also distressed to learn of the absense of McDonalds and western franchise restaurants. Also the level of stupid coming out the girls quite shocked him cuz it's like major dumb-dumb town around here with everything. He might well crack. We'll see.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 am

The only thing that's not fair was that I was hoping to end up in a situation like Pi, with a female Chinese boss pressuring me for sex.  To Pi it was the most awful thing ever and he kept whining about it, but to me it sounded hot.  Now here I go through all this trouble to replicate his circumstances, and there ain't no tigress of a boss sexually harassing me.  What gives?

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 am

They just don't think things through.  They offer up a solution and you tell them what's wrong with it and what the real solution is, but then you still end up going through the process of their solution and them seeing firsthand why it doesn't work and eventually coming back around to what you told them in the first place.  Then another problem comes around, and you have to go through the same process again.

You would think they would just learn to automatically bow to my vastly superior intelligence, but that never occurs to them cuz they is too dang airheaded to figure that out either.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:24 am

Just to give you an idea of how awesome my job is, I'm feeling stressed because I have to teach three 40 minute lessons today.  Most days it's 1 or 2, so this is a heavy workload.  Thankfully I've got the coming three days off.

Oh did I mention, those ten 40-minute lessons only require me to prepare one lesson which is repeated over and over again to different classes for TWO WEEKS.  This job is so easy it's ridiculous.  To top that off the student's are in love with my classes, so I've got job security.

They've never had classes where they've had to do pairwork speaking exercises before.  The teachers here didn't think they were capable of it.  But in one single short lesson, I get them all doing it.  In their first lesson with me, I get them doing what no other teacher in their entire education has gotten them to do.  The local teachers are amazed by it.  I'm blowing their minds. Now they're in my classes filming the kids speaking English to show the parents and do marketing with and such.

They asked me how I do it because they've "never been able to get the children to speak."  I tell them, MAKE THEM DO IT.  That's all I do.  I give them an example exercise and then they MUST do it.  They're STUDENTS.  You TELL them to do it and walk around the class monitoring the pairs to make sure they are.  And they do it.  It's hardly rocket science but they think I'm some kind of a genius.

They wouldn't give me a kitchen, then yesterday I demanded one again and within 5 minutes they texted back in the affirmative saying my fridge and stove would be installed today and asking me what else I wanted and apologizing for not giving it to me before.

I've got this job in the bag, man.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am

And the night I stumble in through the gate here drunk off my ass, I bet I won't hear one peep of shit about it either.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 am

It's so absurd I can't understand it.  They kept telling me, "the students CAN'T" or "the students WON'T."  But I say they CAN and they WILL.

What's this baloney with giving the student's a choice in the matter?  Does the math teacher say "oh I can't expect them to derive square roots because it's hard for them?"  Of course he doesn't.  So why is English the ONE subject where they're allowed to pull this malarky?

If students find something difficult, the teacher slows down, simplifies things, and helps them do it.  They're not supposed to say "fuck it, we just won't bother if you feel it's difficult."  No wonder Chinese study English every single day of their lives and can't use it for squat. Rolling Eyes

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 am

Another nice thing is that I'm allowed to use Chinese in the classroom.

Every school I've ever worked has had the dumb "no Chinese" rule.  I mean, that's fine with advanced students but with low level students it's obnoxious.  Of course it's no good when the Chinese English teacher is in there blabbing away in Chinese for the whole lesson with only a dozen words of English interspersed into it.  I've heard classes like this and they're a total waste of time.  But for translating common words or giving instruction, it can be invaluable.  When I do use Chinese in instruction I also repeat it with the English.  So I'm only using it a little anyway, but it's extremely helpful.  Plus I pick up words and collocations from from the students.  Win/win.

Oh and notice how they only ever apply the "no chinese" rule to foreign teachers' classes while allowing the Chinese English teachers to blab on in Chinese about every little thing throughout the lesson.  Rolling Eyes

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am

See they were starting to think I was this big problem, because I flipped my shit when I got here and found they didn't have basic living stuff prepared for me AS I WAS PROMISED.  Of course I lost it.  I was right to lose it on them, but then that always turns into the laowai is a trouble-making primadonna.  That food hall is ridiculous.  Back to front with students.  You have to push them out of the way to get through there.  The floor and tables are covered in grease and the seating is so close together you have to walk sideways through people eating to get in or out.  They serve three dishes, two of which are vegtables and the other usually some disgusting unrecognizable slop.  No meat.  Then you scoop low quality rice out of a huge bin.  You get chopsticks and nothing else, no napkin, no spoon. Not even water. And of course you have to go there at precise times, when everyone else does.  All the teachers here complain about how shitty the food is in there.  

So I won't eat there and they thought I was this troublemaking lord fancypants.  I'm not.  There are just limits to how much chaos I can stand.  In the class building and classrooms, fine.  I'll tolerate it.  

Now they've got another foriegn teacher and they're realizing that I'm super easy compared to him.

I made it clear what I needed long before I came and they agreed to it.  OF FKN COURSE I need a washing machine.  I don't wear the same clothes day after day.  Sorry if that makes me a princess.   queen   I also need a shower cuz I do that every day too.  And I need to be able to cook food FFS.  Obviously I need all this stuff.  It's actually not a lot.  It's the bare essentials.  If you took any other american man my age and put him this bullshit he'd flee for the hills in a day.  I'm *uniquely* suited to deal with it and they're realizing it now.  I think what happened was that they started to delve into the "blame the laowai" mentality, but then they saw what I can do work-wise and got another FT in there who can't speak a lick of Chinese and can't eat Chinese food and is demanding Corn Flakes.  Now their tune is changing dramatically.  They're taking me into the appliance store to buy me "whatever I want" in an hour.  It's still gonna be a fkn hotplate sitting atop a mini-fridge.  Hardly luxury living.  Rolling Eyes

But in my last years in Beijing I had the hotplate on top of my washing machine in my closet sized bathroom and in Thai I had to hand wash all my clothes and hang them on the window curtain rods to dry, so this is a step up for me.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am

I think that's what I'm gonna start calling him, "Cornflakes."

"Hey, Cornflakes.  What's the matter, this food too spicy fer ya?"

No.  I'm just kidding.  He's a nice guy.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am

My life is a non-stop retardathon shit show.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy Yesterday at 9:04 am

OMG it's fucking dumb-dumb town around here.  I spent the entire morning on QQ waiting for my coworker to go with me to buy the kitchen stuff.  Then it turned into "it'll have to be this afternoon."

Then that didn't work.  Then it turned into "this evening."  But then in the evening the Chinese teachers had a meeting.... that they'd known was coming for weeks.  When I arrived here the headmaster offered use of the school driver "any time."  But there's always some reason the car is not available.  I have not been able to use it once.

Last night it was "the road is blocked."  So I hiked down the fkn mountain on that same road, which dips into a valley, and then back up to a main road where I can get a taxi.  There was nothing "blocking the road."  Rolling Eyes  You'd think they would have made up some other bullshit excuse than one I'd *know* was BS 10 minutes after they used it.  But they're just not smart enough to think things through like that.

Basically everything I hear about everything turns out to be wrong.  I've been here a week and still have all the same issues I had on day one.  We spend day after day trying to solve them, but this is idiot town and nothing works.  Then the girl is tired and acting like I'm a pain in the ass, except that NOTHING ACTUALLY GETS SOLVED and THIS IS ALL STUFF THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE I GOT HERE.

I would just go buy the fkn kitchen stuff myself, the hotplate and pan.  Except that I don't have a fridge so it would not do me any good.  Without a fridge I still have to go out every day, down the mountain and up the valley to wait for a taxi to town.  I can't keep eating preserved foods and instant noodles and shit.  

The taxis here are weird.  They charge me 5 yuan to get into town and 15 to get back. Then going in they will pick up other people if their destination is on route. There's no meter either.  

In town I can buy cigarrettes as normal.  At the local shopletts I found yesterday, everyone is smoking and playing Mahjong, but when I ask for cigarettes they pulled out a basket of different brands and told me each one costs 30 yuan.  Some of which sell for 5-6 at a normal store.  So they are useless.  I can buy an entiree carton of the super cheapo chinese cigs in town for that price.  Rolling Eyes   They do sell liquor at the nearby vendors.   drunken   Also there's a meat vendor but she only sells in the morning.  None of it does me no good without a fridge anyway. (Except the liquor obviously.)

What I'm learning about the people here is that this is their whole world and it's incredibly simple and retarded.  They don't comprehend anything bigger.

With the students, it's a huge production just to get some scrap paper for them to write on, let alone get anything printed.  Now they want me training the other teachers how to "make classes interesting." But a big part of that is keeping the students occupied with activities... and that in turn means materials, which are a non-starter around here.  There's not even a paper-cutter in the office.  I described what one was and everyone acted like they'd never heard of one.  After a great deal of inquiry one coworker did offer me up a pair of scissors from her desk.  

Seriously, how can I teach the kids writing without paper?  I asked them to do a quick drawing exercises in the first class and describe the animal they drew.  Over half the kids claimed they could not draw.  Anything.  At all.  They complained that my instruction to "draw any animal" after boarding example illustrations, is "tai nan le."

WTF?  How useless do you want to be in life?  You should have learned to draw a simple figure at age 2 or 3, m'fkr.  At least try.  I mean, babies can do it, so your 16 year old ass *might* be able to if you really set your mind it.  Jesus.   Rolling Eyes

The good thing is that I'm helping them.  It blows my mind they've never been expected to draw a simple figure before.  How is that an education?

I should remember that as it's pissing me off.  I am really doing some good here.  In a few months these students will all be doing things they never could before like drawing, writing sentences, and conversing in simple English.  It's not their fault.  Their education sucks.  I have a chance to unsuck it, somewhat.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy Yesterday at 9:50 am

My handwriting is f-ing beautiful, especially in chalk.  I took to printing everything after I started working in China, no cursive.  They can't read cursive.  Now I just use my print style for everything and never use cursive except to sign my name.  I usually teach a class on  cursive at some point, have them make each letter and write their name it.  That's more so they can recognize it than any expectation of them to start using it.

So I developed this print style with some cursivey attributes.  It's quite different than the stupid Cambridge letter system they learn, with all the extra curves and shit.  That's why it takes the Chinese students so long to write.  They're worried about getting the right fancy little curl on the letter, yet can't place it correctly laterally or horizontally.  Rolling Eyes

The same shit everywhere.  Like not putting a space after a period.  

This is the problem.  The fundamentals of the English language are ignored, the nuts and bolts.  Then they try to teach them advanced stuff and it turns into a clusterfuck.   This school has a textbook based on the gaokao and these kids can not understand it at all... yet the teachers are forced to try to teach them it.  Everyone suffers and very little is learned.  

There's no excuse for it.  Well there are, lots of them, but they are bad ones.  If they were taught just semi-correctly, they'd all be fairly fluent in English by the time they're teenagers.  I almost can't believe that in 2017 the problems in the Chinese education system are the same as what I was dealing with in 2002.  Nothing I'm saying is new.  These issues have all been identified, but it doesn't matter.  They keep retard teaching these kids.  It's really awful when you think about it, to have your mind turned to shit by your education, which is supposed to enhance it.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy Yesterday at 10:02 am

Cambridge SUUUUUCKS.

I feel so sorry for any teacher that comes here and has to deal with real students after learning all that gobbledy-gook BS I learned in Bangkok for my CELTA.  All. Of. It. Useless.

I already knew how to teach grammar FFS.  I'm great at it, but I almost never do it.

Students will learn 100x more grammar, written and oral, from READING.  It will become innate to them simply through passive learning.

In China you should forget all of that and focus on getting them to put the language to practical use expressing real thoughts and ideas.  Correct their grammar sometimes, sure, but that shouldn't be the goal of the lesson.  

I'd much rather deal with someone who is communicative but has shitty grammar than someone with very correct grammar and communicates like some computer scripted automaton.   Same goes for pronunciation.  You will get way more done with the language if you can actually use it as yourself being YOU.

People need to develop their own "voice" in the language.  Pronunciation and grammar are contributors to that, but not nearly the most important ones.

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:36 am