Laid Bare!

I looked out this morning, and the Sun was gone....

Psioncy

I looked out this morning, and the Sun was gone....

Post  Psioncy on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 am

I closed my eyes and she slipped away!

It's more than feeling.

When i feel that old song play!

Last edited by Psioncy on Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 4 times in total

The Great Splendini

Re: I looked out this morning, and the Sun was gone....

Post  The Great Splendini on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:38 pm

are you weely weely weely working on a book?

or are you just stringing together words in such a way to try to impress the 2 poodles who still read your forum?

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 am

No actually I am writing that book, and well into it. One star is blue, the other red. Each star contains two sets of binary worlds as well. And each world is further divided in on itself, under the backdrop of looming outer conflict. The characters all have counterparts, and internal struggles, as well. I know it sounds contrived, but a myriad of nuance and richness stems from all of it. And it's presented in such a way that even the reader will be torn.

Between working, housework, drinking, and internetting though, I haven't touched it for ages.

If I could quit my m'fkn job..... but you know, supporting my sorry existence has to remain a priority. I'm flying without a net here.

And after listening to people spew chinglish at me all day, my mind isn't exactly in the best state to produce meaningful prose.

Shit, I'm amazed if I can properly string three consecutive words together.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Psioncy wrote:

And after listening to people spew chinglish at me all day, my mind isn't exactly in the best state to produce meaningful prose.

Shit, I'm amazed if I can properly string three consecutive words together.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly.

It's a bit dangerous to live here.

It makes you more stupid and less inspired and you forget how to speak your own language.

I had a Chinese kid tell me today he thinks the country's getting worse and worse.

Maybe we should learn to take a hint.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm

I think it's funny that blue is cold and red is hot, because in terms of stars, the exact opposite is true.

In Big Bang Bullshit, and EU.

(CHECK OUT EU, MY NOVEL IS SET IN EU, NOT MADE UP FANTASY BB!)http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/daily-tpod/
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 am

Most. Beautiful. Song. Ever.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 am

This guy knew very perfectly about losing his soul mate.
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:25 am

Peeking Behind The Curtain

Indulu was highly ranked, and although he wore no uniform or insignia when he took his leave in Tulan village, you could tell this by the way the elders behaved towards him. Indulu had taken an interest in Gahre, and the talk of the village was that Gahre might one day be called upon by the Service, the deepest of honors. Though there circulated more arguments against this happening than for it. Gahre was smart, but not a good student. Gahre was imaginative, but curious at times to the point of folly. Gahre was charismatic, but he spent too much time alone. Gahre was very strong, but that applied o just as much to his will as it did his biceps. Gahre was bold, but not always rational. Gahre was kind to people, but he had spilled the blood of many creatures in the forest. Indulu was a Dharmacist –and a very devoted one.

The Elders held conference each Spring in Tulan. Many high ranking active Service folk attended. Every year Gahre always held some faint hope his father would come, but he never did. They had a lodge outside the village, down a trodden path beside a stream in the oak grove. They met at night, but the fact that they met was no secret. What they discussed, however, were secrets of the highest order. They spoke to each other in a language no one understood. There was not even a name for it other than the “elder’s language”. But Gahre wondered if it was not the language of the Forbidden Land of Arath he had recently learned of. He knew better than to tell the other boys of his discovery. In fact, no one must know.

A couple years earlier, he had committed a wrongful action. He had pried open a window and entered the Elders’ meeting lodge when it was deserted. He’d gotten away with it too, though had been disappointed in his findings. The interior of the lodge was quite bare and modest. There was a long oak table, surrounded by 12 sturdy chairs. There were lanterns and candles. There was a sink and an assortment of mugs hung on hooks on the wall behind it. On the counter sat a tea set. There was but a single bottle of wine stored in the basement. There was a toilet. There was a back room with cots and blankets. What there was not, was not a single book or single scrap of paper. Not a single foreign looking object. Not a single clue that would lead him to Forbidden Knowledge.

Now, he intended to commit another wrongful action at that lodge. But this time, he was determined, would at least prove productive. Having retained a vivid memory of the interior, he had formulated a plan to hide among the rafters above the conference table and listen in on their meeting. The central beam was made of solid oak and was over a meter wide. He would lay at its center, very quietly. True, he would not understand their language, but perhaps, if he concentrated, he could pick something up. The Elders seldom spoke their graceful and rhythmic tongue in public. Seldom. People had heard bits and pieces over the years. So he knew the words for “yes” and “no”, and “hail”/”farewell”. He knew the word “Arath”. And it was hinted in shadows that they did occasionally drop in an Occitanian word when they spoke, since it was, after all, their mother tongue.

Gahre arose well before dawn and slipped out of uncle’s house. He did not head into the quiet streets of town, but directly into the forest. He would have to circle town, and leave no trace of his passing. The Elders did come in and out of the lodge throughout the day, and a few of the visiting Service men were sleeping there even now. Gahre would summon all his patience and wait for the right opportunity to enter. He did not eat or drink that morning, for he knew he must not urinate or sweat, he must not sneeze or fart or clear his throat or rustle around. He would practice perfect stillness, like the radiant Aesthetic he’d encountered four days prior.

He approached the lodge most stealthily, and scoped out a vantage point where he could best conceal himself. He settled in a cropping of tall stones and underbrush some 40 meters from the building and watched through a patch of thorny thicket. The building was dark at first, but within 20 minutes, a candlelight glow emerged from the window, and the smell of woodsmoke began to fill the air. He caught a glimpse of Counselor Botha in a window, sipping his tea and gazing out toward the wood in Gahre’s direction. His heart jumped, because, for a moment, it seemed to Gahre like Botha was staring directly at him, that he saw him! But Gahre calmed his mind, knowing full well from his hunting experience that that was impossible -so long as he did not stir.

An hour later a robed man Gahre did not recognize came outside to perform exercises, and Botha popped out for a short time to gather firewood. And Gahre was pretty sure there were at least two other men in the building. He hoped they would leave after breakfast. But weary travelers that they were, they decided to spend the early afternoon there. By then, there was ample solarshine to warm Gahre’s chilled bones a bit. He was getting restless, but continued to remind his heart to remain still and alert. The thought of a nap entered his mind more than once, but he pushed it aside. This day was too important!

He was dismayed to view the arrival of the two local Elders, but their visit was brief. And then the moment came, when all six men headed off toward the village for a proper meal. A proper meal! No. He couldn’t think about that now. His cautious moccassined feet tread lightly toward the building. The window he’d entered last time was quite thoroughly locked. He didn’t remember it even having a lock. Perhaps they’d detected his previous intrusion. That made him even more uneasy. Some part of his mind suggested turning back, before it was too late, but it went unheeded. It should have known that it was not in Gahre’s nature to turn back.

How to get in? He checked the other windows, with no success. There was a vent near the apex of the roof with no conceivable way of climbing to it. There was the chimney. But that route would cover him, and the floor, in soot. The Elders were perceptive, and would certainly know something was amiss when they saw it. He examined the door and pulled the handle. To his surprise, it opened.

He entered the lodge and knew right away it was devoid of folk, for Gahre could sense beings. Then it occurred to him to lock the door. The door had been unlocked, but it was supposed to be locked. So would it be more suspicious to lock the door or not? They had forgotten to do it, which meant that they would be expecting to find a locked door when they returned. But what if the Elder Panthus, who had closed the door, walked away with some vague sense of error? What if he remembered suddenly and then came back to find the door locked? No, he decided. People do not recall such mistakes, and when they do, they tend not to admit them. He locked the door. Then he smiled. Elders make foolish errors too!

It was then that the half-eaten biscuit on the floor caught his eye and held it for some time. Why would a biscuit be on the floor? These are refined people, they don’t throw food on the floor. Someone must have dropped it then, and it rolled there into the corner. No. He must not eat it. No foolish errors for Gahre today! But… but what if the hunger caused his belly to growl, as it sometime did? Why did he not bring food?! Why was he wasting time when he knew he should conceal himself right away? If no one knew there was a biscuit on the floor, how could anyone possibly miss it? In a swift, erratic action, he snatched the biscuit off the floor and stuffed it into his mouth.

Still chewing, he approached the conference table and looked up at the beam. It was higher than he’d remembered. There was no way up along the walls, so he stood upon the conference table and leapt. I took a couple of tries to latch his fingers over the upper edge of the beam. Now came the hard the part, pulling himself up. Gahre was a large boy, a full 110 kg, but he was mightily strong. He was able to get his chin over, but the torso was not so easy. With a great heaving and enormous strain upon his fingertips, he managed to pull his chest over, and quickly grasped one hand then another on the far edge of the beam. From there, it was not so hard to get his legs up and over. Dust had flown all around, and a clump had fallen to the table below. There’s was nothing that could be done about that now. He certainly was not inclined at this point to climb back down and repeat the process.

He lay as flatly and comfortably as he could, belly down across the surface of the beam, arms outstretched before him. If any part of him were raised too high, it would become viewable from below. He would not be able to see anything, except the wooden plane before him. This job relied on the ears, and his hearing was as excellent as all his senses. And it was another of his senses, smell, that started irritating him once he became settled and the waiting began.

He sensed something in the building, an animal to be sure. He raised his head and took a a few hearty snorts of the air. Then he realized the source of the odor was right below his nose. Some kind of rodent scent trail! A rat! That made sense. If he were a rat he’d move in here too. There couldn’t be many, or the smell would have been stronger. He hoped it was just one, and that it remained in hiding.

Many hours he lay there, and felt too uneasy to have a proper daydream. In time, a faint shuffling sound snapped him out the trance-like state he’d fallen into. It had come from somewhere amongst the rafters. “Rat! Wherever you are, I warn you. Do not disturb me.” He hissed into the darkness.

There was no sound after that, and more hours of waiting followed. He tried to keep his mind active so as not to nod off, and his thoughts kept returning to the Aesthetic –and to Arath. Forbidden Knowledge. Just to know of its existence begged so many questions, with the most poignant being not “What is it?” but rather “Why is it forbidden in the first place?” If something is true, should not the people be allowed to know it? Why must those in the Service learn it, and forever separate themselves from regular society? Why does it change them so deeply? What benefit can there possibly be in ignorance?

He knew that there was a Forbidden Land in the Eastern world called Arath. On the surface, that didn’t seem like much, but it actually told him an awful lot. This first obtained piece of Forbidden Knowledge was precious to him, more precious than a king’s emerald or the tooth of a dragon. First, by obtaining just a whisp of Forbidden Knowledge he had gained a frame of reference. If a simple piece of geographic information can be considered Forbidden Knowledge, then perhaps it was not all as mystical as some imagined. Perhaps it parralleled common knowledge. It dealt with things foreign, as he’d always suspected. If the knowledge of a foreign country’s existence is forbidden, then perhaps it’s safe to assume what he considered to be Forbidden Knowledge was to the people of that realm simply common knowledge. Could it be possible too that the common knowledge of his realm was forbidden in theirs? But, again, why! Is the Service doing this to preserve our culture from the domination of another? And if knowledge of another culture’s ways would tend to dominate Pangean culture, perhaps their ways were better? At the very least, they ought to explain to everyone how it is possible that a society could benefit from intellectual repression.

Night fell.

The clacking of the lock almost made him stir, and his heart began racing even as he begged it to be still. They did not speak as they entered and their footsteps were light. He prayed to Fo and Dao that they not see or hear him. Then the first voice emerged, and to Gahre’s delight, they were speaking Occitanian.

“Brother Botha, it’s odd. I don’t remember locking that door when we left. I fear my age may be catching up with my senses.”

“Elder Panthus, do not flog yourself over such a minor slip of the mind. Why, I am but half your age, and just two years ago I returned to Cashilam to take my leave –only to find I’d forgotten that my wife and child had relocated to Babashire.”

“Oh, dear Brother Botha, that is a terrible tale!”

Botha laughed mischeiveously.

“Brother Indulu, Venerable Elder Panthus, Brother Risso, yours is among the loveliest villages in all the Pangea. The people of Tulan have joyous spirits. As I walked among them this day, my heart was lightened and my resolve in our works strengthened.”

“There can be no higher complement then when a man of Cape Cathal praises the beauty of one’s village, Brother Botha.” Spoke Indulu. “I insist that you allow me to fill your cup.”

“The penultimate host, as always Brother Indulu. But I am disappointed in one respect, that the son of Brother Danu you’ve spoken so much of was not in the village today. I so dearly wanted lay eyes on him, just to see if I get a glimpse of what you see in him.”

“Truly, Gahre spends little time in the village these days, Brother Botha. I fear it’s too confining for a young man of his… nature. But… we will speak of him later.”

Gahre couldn’t believe they were talking about him at all! Wasn’t he a trivial subject when placed next the care of the world?

“As you wish Brother. It seems Moloch was right on schedule. The biscuit is gone!”

Gahre nearly gasp. He really, really had not expected anyone to notice the biscuit.

“Yes, Brother Botha, thank you for feeding him today.”

“Comrades, you have baffled me. Who is this Moloch?” came a new voice.

Again Indulu responded “Oh Brother Sanguji, had no one told you that we have a rat in this place we’ve bid you sleep? That’s the kind of hosts we are in Tulan.” A round of mild, pleasant laughter followed.

“I look forward to meeting this Moloch, Brother Indulu, pray though not in my sleep!”

More laughter ensued.

“For the time being, Brother Sanguji, you needn’t fear. Moloch is a simple creature. His temperament strictly follows his belly, which is now satiated with wheatcake. No doubt he’s curled up somewhere in the rafters, bloated and sleeping. But for future reference, do beware, as he is a possessive fellow, and hunger brings out his more aggressive qualities.”

As if on cue, Gahre saw a pair of shining, beady eyes appear on the far end of the beam, glaring directly toward him. Moloch, he could see at once, was a stout and clever brown rat.

“Then he shall dine on my cheese rations tomorrow, Brother Indulu! Let me honor you by making yours the fattest rat in all the realms. And do take heed, for when I’m finished, you may mistake him for a hedgehog!”

Gahre glared back at Moloch. Return to your lair!

“Please, dear brothers, be seated.” Announced Indulu.

Moloch took a step forward. You should not be here!

“Oh, do allow me to clean this table first” insisted Brother Risso, “It is covered in dust. Moloch must have been scurrying about in the rafters again.”

Gahre felt a bead of sweat flow over his forehead. Do you think you frighten me?! I’ve dispensed with many of your kind!

“No matter, Brother Risso. Let us proceed, for there are many issues to address.”

Moloch turned sideways into his most aggressive posture, dragging his tail slowly around in front of him. You stole my food!

The discussion below quite unexpectedly switched languages. Indulu gave a long opening statement, but Gahre could make almost nothing out of it. That rat snarling at him made it even more difficult to concentrate.

Go away rat, I warn you!

He’d heard the word “Arath” in the very first sentence, and then repeated twice more later. He also heard the word “Vondor”, which was the name of the largest and most unusual star in the sky. And he picked out a recurring syllable “dar”, which seemed to come in either the middle or the beginning of the last phrase in sentences, sometimes occurring twice. Judging by the way it was cast in the rythyme of the sentences, he guessed it was a preposition like “in” “at” or “on”.

Moloch began to slink towards him with a vicious glimmer in his eye. I will bite you!

Next, Elder Panthus spoke. It was very brief and sounded like a question. In it, Gahre clearly made out “Dhrussius”, a name he recognized. Dhrussius was an active Service member who had visited Tulan for this very spring conference four years ago.

Gahre placed his middle finger behind his thumb, holding his hand forward. If you come near me, I will flick you in the nose!

Brother Botha responded. In it, Gahre heard the Occitanian word “Haven”, which referred to the larger of the two moons in the sky. And the word “Haven” had been preceded by “dar”. Yes! He’d heard the phrase “Dhrussius dar Haven!”

Moloch was now just inches from his outstretched hand, slightly beyond his reach. Gahre flicked at him as a warning of what would happen should he come any closer. But just as the action ended, Moloch used the opportunity to leap forward and sink his long, sharp rat teeth into Gahre’s middle finger. The pain was shocking and excrutiating. And a rat does not simply bite and withdraw, it keeps its long teeth buried in the flesh and gnaws rapidly.

Gahre bit his lip to keep from hollering out as his flesh was being mangled! He shook his hand wildly, but Moloch would not release his finger, so he grabbed Moloch with his free hand and tried to pull him off. But Moloch responded by clamping his teeth deeply into to Gahre’s fingerbone.

And that was when Gahre fell from the rafters.

He crashed onto the very center along the conference table, which split in two. It was quite a shock to his back, and the rear section of the table thumped him hard enough on the head to daze him. He was clutching his bloody hand, and there was a squealing sound as Moloch fled the scene.

The men about the table stood up in shocked disbelief. Indulu, however, rose naturally.

“It seems we had more than one rat in our rafters this night. Brother Botha, Brother Sanguji, I give you Gahre.”

Gahre was more than a bit dazed, and his mind was still swimming. He began speaking, but his words flowed like the sound of babbling.

“Dhrussius dar Haven… Serviceman Dhrussius is on Haven! That means people live on the moon!!! How wonderous!!! How do you get them there? A kind of… flying ship? Why do we not see their fires? Have they no forests, no water? Why only gray like stone, no green, no blue?”

Brother Sanguji shook his head in dismay, and pulled the young man to his feet. Gahre was still reeling. “You are injured young one!”

“That is the least of his problems now.” Spoke Indulu gravely. “Gahre… Gahre!”

Gahre snapped to a bit “Yes, Honored One. I am sorry, but….”

“You are bleeding!”

“Yes, your rat attacked me… you see I… I… I just can’t believe it! It’s so marvelous!”

“Silence, foolish one! Have you any idea how serious this is? Go into the washroom, close the door, and dress your wound with the bandages in the cabinet. Then you can wait there while we discuss your fate.”

“Yes, Honored One.”

Gahre did as he’d been bidden and staggered into the washroom, cutting through the air of solemn disapproval that filled the lodge. Once in he approached the sink and set down his candle, he became aware of the throbbing pain in his finger. He realized he’d been dripping blood all the way in here. The wound was deep and open enough to see the white of bone. With his left hand, he flipped open the cupboard and snatched a roll of bandages. He quickly unraveled a section and wrapped it tightly around the wound to stop the bleeding. Gahre had a high pain threshold, but he would clearly need a doctor at some point..

The washroom door was solid and he could hear little beyond it. He crouched down on the floor, dizzily, and resumed his ponderings.

An hour later a knock came. The Elder Panthus entered with a mug of water and plate of cheese and bread which he set down before Gahre. At the age of 124, Elder Panthus was long retired from the Service, and it had been he who monitored Gahre all these years in Tulan at the behest of Indulu. He was the only Elder Gahre ever felt he’d gotten to know well, though they’d never shared any great fondness for one another.

“You’ve gotten yourself into a pickle this time boy.”

“I realize that, Venerable Elder.”

“You never should have done such a thing!”

“I suppose the Service will never take me now.”

“Boy, the Service never was going to take you anyway.”

That statement hit Gahre like a sack of stones over the head, and his eyes burned. He slugged down a gulp of water and displayed an angry frown.

“Gahre, my boy. You are brash and willful. We could never use you. And your marks in school are none too impressive. You failed history of all things.”

Gahre tried to remember who he was talking to, tried to keep the respect in his voice and not shout at the old man. “Venerable Elder, I stopped reading my history book halfway through the course, because I sensed it was full of lies. Go ahead, tell me it isn’t and make a liar out of yourself. Tell me I might not just as well have taken out a fairy-tale from the library!”

The old man fumed, and spent a few moments in frustrated silence.

“Oh, you’d best watch your words, boy. Indulu and I are the only friends you’ve got here tonight. He’s out there negotiating on your behalf as we speak. You do not even want to know what the others propose we do with you.”

“Do as you will, Venerable Elder. I do not fear any of you. If the Service rejects me, I will reject it… and go about gathering as much Forbidden Knowledge as I please. I am quite capable of traveling on my own –through any terrain. To stop me you would have to kill me or imprison me. And I already know you will do neither of those things!”

“Then we will exile you –to an island!”

Gahre raised his head to the old man and nearly shouted in his defiance “I will build a boat!”

Elder Panthus took his leave, gruffly. “You are sealing your fate, boy.”

“And after that, I’ll build an airship and sail it to Haven!” shouted Gahre loud enough for all to hear as the door latched shut again.

More time passed. He could not move his sore and burning finger. Although he was hungry, he ate only half the platter. He definitely should not have lost his temper with old Panthus, he realized upon reflection. He was only telling him the truth about the Service not calling upon him, and he should appreciate that in a world where, apparently, the real truth about things was hard to come by. It was increasingly obvious to him that world was filled with a kind of “fake truth” –and that was not acceptable to his heart. The truth, pure and unadulterated. One way or the other, he vowed he would come to know it.

And it was truth he contemplated as more and more the night passed by. And in its darkest hour, Indulu came to him.

“I am glad to see you calm. Come my son.”

Gahre carried his platter out into the main area of the lodge. They’d moved their chairs into a circle about the kitchen, since they no longer had a table to sit at. They barely looked upon him as he emerged.

“Venerable Elder Panthus” Gahre bowed his head as he made the address, “I apologize for the tone I took with you earlier. May you sleep well this night, and know you will always have my sentiments. You are as a grandfather to every boy in Tulan.”

“That is very decent of you, Gahre my boy. And I hold you in no account for the words of this evening. I sympathize with your conflict, bright one. May it find glorious resolution.”

“Gahre, do you feel well enough to take a walk with me through the forest? Just you and I?” Indulu inquired.

“I would like that very much, Honored One. But first, I wish to leave this platter for Moloch.”

“For Moloch?”

“Yes, Honored One. When I came in this afternoon, I ate his biscuit. That’s why he attacked me.”

“Did he tell you that’s why he attacked you?”

“Um…” Gahre found he couldn’t answer the question.

Indulu smiled “Very well, my son, place it there in the corner if you will.”

“Could you summon him, Honored One? I want him to see me do it.”

Indulu shook his head gracefully, “A debt repaid unseen clears the account of Heaven.”

Gahre lay the platter and accompanied Indulu out of the lodge and into the Oak Grove. They strolled some time before speaking. When they crossed an old wooden bridge that led to the outer periphery of the grove, Gahre broke the silence.

“Honored One…”

“Gahre” smiled Indulu “Let us dispense with formal addresses. I wish us to speak as equals.”

Gahre found that statement more than peculiar.

“But, Honored One, we are not equals! You are man of high ranking in our beloved Service, and I am but a young man with no accomplishments to speak of.”

“I think you accomplished something tonight, didn’t you?”

“I broke the law this night.”

Indulu stopped and put his hands on Gahre’s shoulders. “This is not just a matter of worldly law, my son. It goes way beyond that. Though, let me begin by telling you your sentence: It has been decreed that you will live in the cabin north of the outer cornfields and do the work of the land for two full years. After that time, you may seek a wife and take a home in Tulan. Or, if you prefer, you may travel the Pangea. But you will vow, on the spirit of your departed mother, not to disseminate the Forbidden Knowledge you have obtained.”

“I will swear nothing on my mother’s spirit but my undying love of her. And you will never, never make a farmer out of me.”

“I know that, my son. I know these things. I am just relaying to you what has been determined by the Council. But I hope you will tell me, just me, what you truly intend to do.”

“I have vowed, Honored One, to travel east to the Forbidden Land of Arath.”

Indulu’s eyes narrowed. “How do you know of Arath? Who told you this?”

“That is my secret, and I forbid you to know it.”

“My son, I fought long and hard on your behalf tonight. They wanted to exile you. Please trust me enough to tell me how you came to know this.”

“Honored One, perhaps you can explain to me how it is the Service is able to travel upwards to the moon of Haven. I do have some sense of how high it is, far beyond the reach of any bird.”

“Gahre, I should not give you any more Forbidden Knowledge… directly. But I will tell you something about our Service –and your father. However, you must agree to tell where you learned of Arath.”

Gahre’s mind deliberated for a long moment. “Very well, Honored One, tell me of my father.”

“You should know, young one, that our Service has two branches, foreign and domestic. Your father is of the former. His mission is diplomatic in nature, and he resides about the star Vondor, so when you look to it, you may think of him. He is my dear friend, and he is a peacemaker. You can be very proud. The nature of his work does not allow him to return to the Pangea, but he is updated of your progress, and follows it with great interest. His absence must feel like a coldness in your life, but please consider the circumstances he is faced with, and know that he loves you deeply.”

Gahre digested this for some time, and held back the tears. People live on the star Vondor as well?! That flaming ball of fire. Wasn’t it too hot? Oh Father, do take care there! Finally, he opened his mouth to fulfill his end of the agreement.

“A holy man in the forest told me.”

“A holy man in the forest told you of Arath’s existence?”

“That’s correct. I met him four, well I suppose now, five days ago. But I urge you leave him be.”

Indulu sighed deeply “Why would you do that, Jason?” he muttered to himself.

“Excuse me honored one, you know that man?”

“Yes. Yes, I do Gahre. I know him very well.”

Gahre looked to Indulu and saw his eyes filled with compassion, “Did you…. did you know I was there, in the rafters tonight?”

“Yes, I sensed you there the moment I entered.”

“And the others?”

“The others did not know a thing until you came crashing down on them.”

“Then why… why not stop me? Why allow me to hear about Serviceman Dhrussius living on Haven?”

“I would never interfere with your path, Gahre. Rather, I hope to facilitate it. That is why I brought you here, away from the prying ears of the lodge. Gahre, you must never repeat the things I’ve told you tonight, or I will be disgraced and stripped of my office.”

“I swear to you!”

“You will never make it to Arath. The Internal Service will pursue you.”

“I will evade them. I will travel by trail, not road, and stick to the smaller villages.”

“The Sea of Sand cannot be crossed.”

“I will earn coin and buy a camel.”

“Then it shall die too. And, Gahre, even if you do somehow get across, there is a wall.”

“A wall? I shall climb it.”

“It is too high!”

“Then I shall tunnel beneath it!”

“The wall has eyes, Gahre, it will see you.”

“The wall has eyes? That’s impossible.”

“No it isn’t. Gahre, there is Forbidden Knowledge, but then there is also knowledge that transcends Forbidden Knowledge, so I would like to propose another course for you, and it does not involve any farming.”

“I don’t follow you Honored One.”

“There is a service beyond the Service. A Truth above the truth. As you know, the Service is secular and accepts all religions, but I am a Dharmacist, and I find myself in conflict with my worldly duties.”

“How so Honored One?”

“Gahre, when I was just older than you, I became determined, like you are, to find the truth of things. I want you to know that you are essentially right. Forbidden Knowledge requires a vast amount of deception upon society. Ultimately, we force the people to believe many lies. But Gahre, even were you to acquire all Forbidden Knowledge, one such as yourself would come to realize that you still know nothing of that truth, but are just wandering in yet another, even deeper layer of deception.”

“I will remember and contemplate those words, Honored One.”

Indulu rested his hands on the rickety wooden bridge rail beneath the magnificent white glow of Haven “Let me ask you, being of Tulan, if you’ve heard of the Mountain Sage?”

“Yes, of course. I’ve heard the legend. It’s existed for many hundreds of years. I even recall a man six or seven years ago who came through the village to head off into the Mountains of Immutability in search of him. He came stumbling back out of those mountains 16 days later, half dead from hunger and exposure, babbling and ranting. I guess that’s one gets for believing legends.”

“I believe it to be more than a legend, blessed one. My journey was 12 days and I too returned ragged and half mad. Those mountains are treacherous, and what’s more, they cloud the mind.”

“Honored One! I’d never heard of your tale. You entered those mountains on a matter of faith?”

“I burned for the Truth, Gahre, burned for it. But I didn’t burn for it enough. In the end, neither Jason nor I proved worthy.”

“Jason? Jason! The Aethsetic I met in the wood? He was the same man I saw all that time ago. That’s right!”

“Yes, Gahre, that’s correct. But my point is, we both made it back to the village. We both turned back, both gave up when it became apparent we would not survive otherwise. To find the Mountain Sage, one must be truly willing to die in search of him.”

"That's not really a plan then."
    "Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans."
    Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun May 26, 2013 1:14 am

"I looked out this morning, and the Sun was gone...."

In my narrative, this actually happens.

No one is prepared. Not the reader, not the disciple.

Not even the Master but One.

Logos.

Of the Red Star.

But I decided, that is NOT the climax of the book.

We shall follow the aftermath, much more fulfilling.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Sun May 26, 2013 1:18 am

And before that, something even more perplexing occurs.

There is an infinite stillness of dozens of light-minutes between the Blue and Red stars.

Even the machine intelligences are rendered inoperable.

When it ends, no one knows who they are.

Nor should they, for they are not who they were.

D U A L I T Y.

A book by -Psioncy.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon May 27, 2013 4:40 am

If there's one person u can't escape, it's ur counterpart.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 am

Here's some work I cranked out over the last couple days, it's a flashback.  These characters are both RED.  Mnemtech is a meta-droid, pure machine android with complete self-awareness.  The most advanced of his kind and the de facto ruler of the empire.  Logos, the Emperor, inhabits two small machine worlds inside the corona of the red star, and has issued no direct statements in over 200 hundred years.  He still sets the parameters in which his creation, Mnemtech, may operate... thus maintaining his surpremacy.

Aru ruminates on his first and only encounter with Mnemtech.

Aru’s captivation with Lech was more than just self-interest though.  From the moment he’d met him, the prideful and brave Calidonian  Captain had felt something towards him, an feeling only one other being had ever evoked in him.  A desire to submit.

That other being being none other than Mnemtech, Logos’s proxy leader for the entire empire.  And unlike the awe inspiring but mostly cooperative relationship he’d found with Lech’s, the dynamic between him and Mnemtech had been far more chilling.  He’d met him upon his graduation at the Academy and shook his hand.  In that moment he’d bowed his head as if by instinct, even wanting to kneel on the floor despite it being not required.

Mnemtech although coming across non-plussed was also moved in his turn.  He starred at Aru for long time, much longer than the other graduates, just starring into him silently, their hands clasped.  Aru had felt a chill through his body, but it was a lively chill that filled him with excitement.  His mind, something bizarre occurred in his mind, he saw the White Stone then the Black, he saw circuits, he saw a woman he’d later come to recognize as Mnemtech’s human wife…. of 15 years in the future, when he would at last be able to place a real person to the image that burned in his mind.  He saw himself, outside himself.  He saw the stars, Red and Blue, from the outer Solar Sytem and they were oscillating, blinking back and forth, red to blue, blue to red, until he forgot which had been which originally –or who was who.

The immaculately groomed and very humanistic android released his hand at last and his mind reoriented itself with reality.  Puzzled, he continued to gaze at him while the attendees murmured quizzickly.

This latter realization hit them at them at the same and they both smiled in unison.

The ceremonies concluded and the graduating Fleet officers went assembled for the transport that would shuttle them to the space elevator and then off across to the solar system to the red controlled  Arathian province of Tropica for some well deserved celebratory R&R.  He was going along as normally as he could, his mind still obsessing over his earlier encounter when he received high priority page on his Com from command.  “Lieutenant Praetarus, report to Alphatower reception immediately.”  High Command.

A transport promptly arrived.  He waived apologetically to his comrades.  “Orders” he explained pointing at his com and speeding off.  The transport didn’t even slow down as it passed through security, then took him through several sections of Alphatower for which he did not have security clearance.  Somehow he knew exactly who had summoned him.

The transport door opened into a short hallway leading to a fantastically thick double security door guarded by a virtual army of security bots, both fixed and roaming.  He stood still and waiting on their instructions.  The transport suddenly disappeared and another security wall flew shut behind him.  “Approach and enter.” Spoke the hallway itself as the massive doors whirred open.

He entered a room the likes of which he’d never seen before.  A great chamber filled with displays both of the two dimensional and holographic variety, millions of them, overlapping each other in a myriad of patterns.  Some were what appeared to be surveillance footage, other purely mathematical, there were charts and maps, movie and media, stars and captivating alien geometries.   In the center of this great mass of displayed data stood Mnemtech.  Refined, postured, uniformed… by every standard perfect in his countenance.

He waived his hand and the data entirely cleared away, leaving a Spartan gray and empty room in its place.
    Aru bowed, extended an upturned right hand above his head in the customary bow befitting Logos’ Most Favored.  “I answer your call, Grand Regent.”

Mnemtech looked down upon him for some time before issuing the “Rise” command.
    “I’ve already met and bonded to my counterpart.” He stated with something less than this his usual gravitas.  “You and I are both Red, and I’m clearly your superior.  So that can only mean one thing:  You are my subordinate.”

Aru spoke cautiously “All mortal subjects of the Red Star are subordinate to you, M’Lord.”

“Yet your tone is that of veiled insubordination when you presume instruct me on the glaringly obvious, further confirming my theory.  What I meant to say is that I believe you are my Prime Subordinate in the dualistic order of this star system –and I’ve been waiting for you for quite some time.  So take a deep breath because it means your status has just skyrocketed to heights you probably can’t imagine.  The catch is that this makes us enemies, since no worthy red can bear submitting himself before anyone.  So it is a certainty you will attempt to destroy me once you’ve garnered the strength to do so.”

Aru squirmed “M’Lord, I would never betray The Empire.”

“Your homeworld is Calidon, and my records show you favor many of its political ambitions, such as that for greater autonomy and lowering its biomass quotas.”

“But not full Autonomy, only pleas for your consideration, M’Lord, as we eternally remain the eminent jewel of The Divine Empire.”
    “Prima donna jewel or no, the fact remains that your homeworld also happens to be the only realm of this empire with a thriving counterculture and resistance movement, of which many of your friends and family are known to associate.  And where I’m reckoning your true sympathies lie.  And if that’s not the case, I’m even more concerned because such would make you a traitor to your homeworld, and we can’t have men like that weaseling their way up into the Ruling Class, can we?”

Aru felt fear.  More than any of his grueling training had ever prepared him for, more than any of the life-threatening perils he’d already faced and overcome in his young life.   He felt hot and his heart was pounding.  “Composure” he singularly reminded himself.  There could be no greater display of defeat now than to lose it.  Bowing and fearing, he knew the only thing standing between his soul and this collector of them was his composure. And he summoned it and spoke with not a waver in his voice.

My Family already belongs to the Ruling Class, we are a historic Calidonian Ruling House!  Or at least we  were before your evil master downgraded us to merely Noble Class as part of one of his failed social experiments early in his reign.

“M’Lord, I am bare before your wisdom. A man’s circumstance narrows his options considerably, but not necessarily to all but one. All I can do is assure you M’Lord that rebellion is not among my ambitions.  I only choose to share my voice on behalf of my beloved homeworld with our wise ruling class as a humble officer and nobleman.  A right for which I thank the divine and benevolent Logos for granting my caste.”

Mnemtech drank in this sarcasm like wine.  It was a completely open secret that favoring the side of  the issue that granted Calidon any autonomy whatsoever over his edicts  was not so much a matter of free speech as it was a de facto crime punishable by death –and at any level of the social hierarchy. 

“Well answered Captain.” He laughed.

“M’Lord, I hope I do not seem to presuming to the correct you when I suggest to you that as a new graduate my rank is that of that of Lieutenant Commander not Captain.”

“No.  I did not misspeak.  You’ve been promoted.  We’ve got to work a few of you Calidonians up the ranks to keep things from completely boiling over, don’t we?”

“Thank you M’Lord. I am honored to accept.” Aru spoke with a tinge of haste, almost unthinkingly despite how unmistakably odd it was for him to be receiving a double rank promotion on the very day of his graduation, and at this juncture in this particular conversation.

“Well I just don’t see the point in belaboring things.” Mnemtech addressed these thoughts as they formed in Aru’s mind.  “You obviously can’t rise against me now as young and green and powerless as you stand in this moment.  So I’d like to elevate you as high and fast I as I can to keep those traits fresh and present for when you do.”

Aru stayed silent, not wanting to address the issue.  Why did this being think he would ever attack him, especially when they both knew Mnemtech could kill him instantly with only a thought?  I was madness to even imagine he’d ever have anything on par with Mnemtech’s power.  The Meta he’d known as his Ruler for his entire life.

“ I’ll tell you something only a handful know.” Offered Mnemtech.  “You may find this shocking, but I have never spoken to our Lord Logos, my very creator, not once.  Not I, the regent ruler of his entire empire, have known a moment of contact with his central concioiussness.  And why do you think that might be?”

“Because he fears you will attempt to hack into the superconcioussness and ursurp him.”

“Yes.  But because he also knows that I’m smart enough to realize that I cannot ever defeat him and thus will never attempt to do so.  This is precisely the same reason he knows he can trust in me.  Now captain, tell me what kind of ship you’d like to command and I will make it so.”

“I am slated for tour aboard the Titan Class war vessel IonStorm as First Mate to Captain Terranedal.  A premium post awarded to me for my achievenments in the Academy.  I don’t yet have the field experience required to qualify myself to be in singular command of any armed military class vessel larger than a fighter, M’Lord.”

“Oh nonsense.  A few months of independent field training and you’ll have a handle on it.  Your scoring third among your compatriots in this graduating class does not impress me Captain.  I can only guess you took it as something a holiday.  As I’ve been alluding to, and am now telling you outright, you are amongst the most powerful beings in this Solar System.  Second to myself in your case.  I have partial access to the secret archives, those of time before time, enough to see certain patterns.  Meeting you today has answered not one but two looming question I’ve had about the hierarchy.  Logos and his counterpart’s, their seconds, counterparts themselves, are not yet known.  But the rest of hierarchy is now known, to include yourself -and Idulu’s second, a pan-arathian child who I’ve also identified today.  Progress.  The order always reveals itself before a time of great change.”

Aru's was nauseated by this nonsense, which odd inexplicable mind exchanges or no, it still was.  Who would have thought the High Lord of Vondor could talk like a 2-bit psychic hustler on the entertainment networks. 

“M’Lord, permission to speak freely?”

“Oh very much granted.” Smiled Mnemtech. “By all means consider yourself exempt from holding your tongue in my presence.  I would not want my position as your High Ruler to in any way impinge upon the sincerety of your words.”

Aru almost choked on his own fear, but he had to do this.  Simply had to.  “Grand Machine Lord” he changed his form of address “I have just graduated from the finest institution of higher learning on this side of the solar system with high honors.  And I can say without a doubt, that if I were to have approached any of my professors in any field with the kind of mystical claptrap you are spouting right now, I would have been berated on the spot and further ridiculed by my peers.  I find it disconcerting that such insanity infects the highest echelons of our leadership –and to such a degree.  I do not feel it bodes well for the stability of our Empire.”

“Oh, I’d kill you for that -if it were not so endearingly naïve.   I don’t see the sense of debating the subject.  If the structure of our Solar System is not enough to convince you, time and experience will.  Let me ask you of something slightly less unworldly then.  When we connected earlier, when our hands touched. In that moment when our minds connected telepathically -and you do agree that’s what occurred, yes?”

“I can think of no other suitable explanation, Machine Lord.” Aru conceded.

“In that moment, what did you see?”

“I saw many things, Machine Lord, but most prominent among them was a woman. Do you wish for me to describe her?”

“No need.” A halo-scanner hovered down from the high dark ceiling and perched itself over Aru’s dome. “Just close your eyes, relax, and think of nothing but that image.”  Soft ethereal music began to gently echo throughout the chamber.  It took some time for the scanner to synch with Aru’s hypothalamus and create a projection, and it took an even longer time for Aru’s mind to recall the image.

There it formed between them, coalescing in the holograph until it was as crisp and distinct as anything to be seen in physical reality itself.  The Image of a female, a rather young and attractive blonde, in a large ornate hall.

“You can stop now Captain” he said, intently studying the image. There was definitely something about her that stirred him in a way he did not understand. Every datamining tool at his disposable received high priority tasks and reported back with a wealth of data in seconds “There’s no record of her in any census.  She is either Pangean or she has not been born yet.”

“Machine Lord” ventured Aru. “Even if she were somehow real and not just a figment of my imagination, it’s quite possible my mind altered the memory by adding elements of its own.”

“No…. no I don’t think so Captain.  Look closer, do you recognize the building she’s in?”

“I do not, Machine Lord.”

“Well I do and unmistakably.  This is a precisely accurate image fitting the architecture of my own headquarters in Tropica.  Are you a master architect?”

“I am not Machine Lord.”

“That’s right you are not, and that’s why it would be impossible for your mind to construct this image on its own.  Perhaps you could have seen it in other media, but still the accuracy is uncanny.  I’m convinced it’s legitimate.  There are features dissimilar from the present and nowhere in the archives, which I can only assume are modifications to the building.  And that Cyprus tree visible through third large window to the left lining the hall, I know it, but it is smaller.  Here we see a good 24-25 years of growth added.  I can safely conclude that this image is from the future.”

“I’m afraid I’m not willing to jump to such a fantastic conclusion, Machine Lord.  Divination has never once been confirmed by Science in all of History. Are you going to argue this is the first ever credible and repeatable case?”

“Time will tell.” He riddled with a smirk  “Since this is all hocus-pocus to you, I suppose you won’t be interested in seeing the stunning portrait I pulled from your soul?  She is alive right now, skipping around Tropica as a teenage schoolgirl by the name of Li Meiyang.”

“You’ve more than peaked my curiosity, Machine Lord.  I ask that you put her on holograph, if it pleases you.”
    “Well not right now, she’s showering so I’d rather not hack in.  I wouldn’t want you having illicit thoughts about a minor.  Here’s the older version of her, mid 20s, that I found in you.”

The image appeared of a gorgeous female, full of vigor and painfully sexy.  Whatsmore she was familiar, so very hauntingly familiar to him that he couldn’t help racing back into his childhood memories searching for a forgotten caretaker or teacher to account for it. Frantically he searched but she was nowhere there.

“She’s exquisite.” He commented absently.

“Yes, she’s really a piece of work that one.  Her records indicate that her grandfather was a pangean herbalist of some renown, who came to understand his botany a little too well for Service’s liking.  And so he was relocated out of the pangea, along with Li Meiyangs mother and father.  She is the only native born Arathian in her family.   And best of all, being Tropican, she’s already ours.”

“What do you believe she is to me, Machine Lord.  My counterpart, my second, my soul mate?”

“Compound combinations are not unheard of, like the Dreaded Double.”  Mnemtech’s eyes widened.

Aru’s ears could hardly bare to hear this phrase uttered, it was so abjectly childlish and it made every rational fiber inside of him shudder to hear it coming from a being of Mnemtech’s stature.  The Dreaded Double was a Dualistic term for another being who is both your soul mate and counterpart, a tragic combination that usually leads to one or both parties downfalls. You’re more superstitious than the looniest Blue I’ve ever met, He wanted to tell Mnemtech, but then thought better of it.  Some objective part of his mind realized he was being schooled right now –and in a major way.

“I want her.” He said instead.

“Then she shall be yours, Captain.  I’ll see to it personally.”

“You are too kind, M’Lord.”

“Back to “m’lord” are we?  You must be starting to get sweet on me.  I’ll have you know that us meta-droids don’t swing that way.” He winked.

Aru laughed, genuinely laughed.  All his life he’d only known the media-portrayed image of Mnemech, the distinguished diplomat and leader, the wise and moral counselor. 

“This is the most bizarre conversation I’ve ever had, M’Lord.  I'm still trying to figure out what to make of it.”

“I suggest you make the most of it Captain.  The next time we meet our guns will surely be trained on us each other.  For now I’m going to take my leave.  I only came to Calidon for the graduation ceremony, and I intend to shuttle back to Arath at once.  Truth be told I love spending my time there so much, the rumor is I’ve turned blue.”

“I wish you a safe and comfortable passage, M’Lord.  Shall I then take my leave of here to rejoin my peers?”

“You may do no such thing, Rebel.  I’m leaving.  You’re going to stay right here, wide awake under that halo-scanner for the next 12 -14 hours until I’ve got every facet of your mind mapped into my personal databanks.”  He noted Aru’s dejected expression.  “But feel free to order up any creature comfort you desire, so long as it’s not of a mind-altering variety.  You can catalog through the ships that have recently come online and choose whichever one is to your liking to command. ”  And that was it.  In an incalculable instant, without so much a trace of formality or even basic manners, he was gone.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:06 am

I see my Mary Anne walking away....

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:11 am

It's more than a feeling.

When I hear that old song play.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:03 am

The most beautiful song ever.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:30 am

Really, you gotta listen to this song and totally experience it.  It's the ultimate song of the ultimate genre of music, Rock~!

Even Boston, which is a city that I HATE.  I have to admit they made the best song in the universe.  Even some other galaxies made some rock songs, they couldn't hold a candle to "More Than a Feeling...."

Andromeda, M-Whatever.... however many billions of you.  Earth has OUTROCKED YOU!!!!

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:33 am

My only hope is that whatever alien culture comes to our rescue, they have tuned into 70's and 80's rock.  

And they are blasting that shit over their UFO speakers as they set us free.

Anything after Nirvana from the past two decades obviously won't cut mustard and we should collectively bow in shame of.

But keep faith in rock n' roll.  And it's penultimate flower: "MORE THAN A FEELING!"

No E.T. m'fkr can deny its universal supremacy!

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:52 am

sorry, there's too much masturbation with electric guitars in most of those songs.

i don't care how fast and furious those assholes can play electric guitar.

harmony and lyrics are where the action is.

so most 70s music sucks unless it gets edited.

they should be cut from 14 minutes to 3 minutes.

and it looks like i might just do that.

The Great Splendini

Post  The Great Splendini on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 am

my first edit is "who's crying now?" by journey.

total masterpiece ... until the guitar masturbation at the end.

it doesn't belong there. it's superfluous at best. but it actually ruins the song.

i'm editing out the end and sending my edited version to A&M.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 am

Oh man, you should not be dissing the ultimate song of the universe if you cannot create one better.

Which you cannot.

LET IT BE KNOWN.

We are at fkn war!!!!!

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:38 am

Man, how can you even say "masturbation"?

Go back to page one of this thread and re-listen 1,000 time. You will enjoy it.

Yeah, the highlight is when he sings "I see my Miranne walking away... Ayyyyyyyyyyy!" and he hits that acapelego or whatever it's called.

The song is not much thereafter. Everything is timed perfectedly, the exact opposite of masturbation, which in my recent experience goes on and on until I finally remember something worth masturbating over. I would much prefer "when I hear that old song play..."

I'm not ejaculating, but I'm sentimentalizing.... which is much more profounder.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 am

I'm done with stupid asshole argument.  

I know a lot of songs, and this one is the ultimate.  There is no comparison, and your access into Heaven or Hell or whatever it is I'm charge of, is completely contiingent upon this opinion.  

(Hint: It's Hell, not Heaven!)

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:45 am

He screamed to heaven in that song to such a decibel, that we ALL remember as part of our collective conciousness....

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:52 am

Let me tell you something Pi, and this is your last chance to back out...

You shall never speak words against Boston's "More than a feeling"...

If you do so as proclaiming it as anything other than the ultimate rock anthem,

Me and you got serious problems.

Masturbation? Yeah go for it, that's all you'll have left.

Psioncy

Post  Psioncy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:01 am

Yeah you don't know shit.

You reach a perfect narrative climax, then you go down.

And then you reach up again.  That's the ULTIMATE.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 pm